Living in Aussie Land

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess it's got a lot to do with where I could potentially find a job? My profession is very niche so ..

All men are capable of sexual assault? What threads have I been missing?

I'd actually agree with this if it were murder because I honestly think we are under the right circumstances.

Sexual assault? Nah. Whoever said that, he's stretching it a bit. Maybe something happened to his wife, daughter or something so I'd understand why he'd thin that.

Is it that bad tho? I do worry about my kids if I'm honest and it's so safe over here
Perth is a lot better now. It used to be a bit rough. About 10 years ago you couldn't go to the pub without getting into a fight. But that was because you had all these young guys moving there for mining and they had nothing to do other than take drugs, drink and fight.

Now days it's much better. More stuff to do and with the mining boom dying down, most of the immature kids moved away.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's funny I was looking at woy woy a lot a few years ago. But, then I did some research and realised that mainly crackheads live there so decided to stay away.

Explains a bit about you now mate haha
Central Coast is a mixed bag. You know when you hear in the old horror movies, "they only come out at night"?

In the Central Coast it's the opposite way around. Afternoons and weekends it's great. Friendly people around, great environment. Go to the heart of Gosford or Woy Woy shops during business hours and you have to dodge crackheads and 16 year old girls with 10 kids.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's funny I was looking at woy woy a lot a few years ago. But, then I did some research and realised that mainly crackheads live there so decided to stay away.

Explains a bit about you now mate haha
You have a few there's no doubt, but they getting pushed further away due to high prices, it's pretty tame these days,you're usual spots train stations, supermarkets ect you'll see a few but since covid nothing much

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd look to buy. No way am I going to take a loan and mortgage. Want to come back and have a good life.

I'd be coming back with teenagers, so I do worry about my daughter the most. I'm just so sheltered here so the real world of crime etc seem so far away.

I feel exact same about Sydney. Just makes me nervous being there in all honesty. But, I'd want to be close to family so it'd breakout have to be in Sydney nor Perth rather than a bit up north
Where in Europe do u live now?
What things do u enjoy/dislike?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Just put this out there. Live in Sydney, been in this suburb for ~10 years. Basically lock my front door when I remember to. Not even sure how to lock the back door. Have my wrx sitting in the driveway at the moment unlocked. Kids everywhere, river for me is 200m away, beach a 10 min drive. Parks and greenery everywhere. Local public HS is pretty well regarded. Only drawback is train station is probably an hour walk away so would have to bus. 20 mins into the city quiet time, 40 - 60 mins driving peak hour. Lots of poms around here - they all love the lifestyle. However, real estate here was pretty cheap but based on the last 12 months - appears the rest of Sydney have discovered us. Not getting much decent here atm for <$2M (probably $1.2M a year ago).

S'pose this is where Sydney vs Perth gets weird. U sort of have to be more suburb specific or descriptive of what you're looking for in a suburb (incl if its Sydney $$$$).

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rightio gals and guys,

As many of you may know, I'm currently situated in Europe but thinking of moving back to Aus in the future.

But, I haven't lived there for many a year. Over 16 years to be exact. So, I don't really know Australia much anymore.

What do you guys think? Australia a decent enough place to bring up kids?

To paint a bit of background. I grew up in Sydney where my dad and bro still live. and my sis lives in Perth.

So the options are either Sydney or Perth.

I'm heavily leaning towards Perth mainly because I'm not a big city person and I think Perth is better set up for kids.

What do you all think? Is Sydney good for families? Safe?

Is this an ok thread to post Mods? Let me know if it isn't but just thought I'd ask
Sydney mate, and Perth for holidays and visiting your sister. Harbour, beaches, mountains and Bulldog games plus heaps of good schools to choose from for your kids.

Then, when the time comes you can head North to gods country and retire on the Queensland coast.

Reactions: 88

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd look to buy. No way am I going to take a loan and mortgage. Want to come back and have a good life.

I'd be coming back with teenagers, so I do worry about my daughter the most. I'm just so sheltered here so the real world of crime etc seem so far away.

I feel exact same about Sydney. Just makes me nervous being there in all honesty. But, I'd want to be close to family so it'd breakout have to be in Sydney nor Perth rather than a bit up north
In regards to the safety of your daughter, if you teach here to be street smart, never ever walk alone at night, always be conscious of her purse etc etc shell be right.
I live in what appears to be a safe area now but I wont let my wife go for a walk/exercise after dark by herself. Common sense stuff but nothing to worry about.
Australia is a safe place to live no matter what city you live in I reckon.
Anywho's, If it is your desire to come home everything will sort itself out, always does.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big positive if you plan on coming back reasonably soon is that employment options are a bit better at the moment because through the covid lokckdowns a lot of international workers got shat on by the fact that they had no income when business closures happened So plenty of businesses have employee shortages.

Hard to say exactly where you should be looking to move. If you do enjoy the quieter life of small towns, then I'd probably avoid Sydney. I can spend about 2 months down there these days and I want to blow up traffic lights and yell at people whenever I'm faced with crowds. There are probably plenty of places that would suit the small town criteria that aren't Perth or Sydney. Probably quite a few that are within commute distance of places where whatever niche job you do exists. Maybe think about budget for housing etc and work from there with your plans to move.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck Sydney bro, go Perth.
Assassin is right mate, i'm ex sydney have been in Perth 20 years, it is not perfect by any stretch and there can be a "wait awhile" mentality(bit slow or behind the times is the eastern states peoples opinions i think) i.e the dills are GAYFL obsessed doubt they will ever warm to an NRL team this does shit me.
Overall though here are some pro's :
As stated property prices and or rents(dont tell BB i mentioned renting)are much cheaper.
Not sure of your profession but i didnt think there are big wages disparities personally, some industries aren't nearly as big i suppose and that was evident when i moved over into a specific field but generally shouldn't be an issue really.
I also don't delve heavily into it but is mining in decline or going to die out soonish? i wouldn't have thought so...not a big issue i wouldn't think.
The West Australian coastline is pretty great, weather overall is pretty good gets pretty warm in summer but has a proper and good length autumn/winter and even half of spring is usually quite mild.Doesn't rain that much which i kinda miss.

Actually can't think of any real cons oh wait on one is the fn freeways while improving in recent years they can be a shemozzle(and this smacks of the lack or forward planning way back when, as they religiously built only 2 lane freeways wtf you dimwits)
Of course you wont get much live NRL here but assuming you will make time for trips east to visit friends/family etc you can get your fix of games then i guess.

I'm sure your family here(where are they if you dont mind me asking what area?)will have shared the pros and any cons of life in metro WA.

Finally i dont know when your planning on coming back? but yes do check on the entry requirements for here, Commandant Mark is pretty staunch though i have no complaints with what he has done re keeping ***** out to date :laughing:

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living anywhere in Australia is better than living in almost any other part of the world.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is true.
I climbed Mount Druitt once.
The views of Rooty Hill weren’t quite what I was hoping for, but I’ve since installed an app on my phone that scratches that itch :-).
Lazy bastard… the Druit is flat as our attack this year..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I only really miss one thing about Sydney tbh - watching the dogs.
This exactly. Grew up in Sydney but wouldn't live there again. Mad house. But I do miss seeing regular dogs matches.

Gold Coast is a good compromise. Its not as mad and polluted as Sydney, but you won't die of boredom like Brisbane or Perth.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ah…excellent. So you are a member of the BFLBC then. I will have to greet you with our secret handshake when we meet up for that feed you owe me.:yum:
BFLBC? Just throwing up a guess, big fat lazy bastard club?

If I guessed right I'd like to join, but only if I can join from the comfort of my recliner.