Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
yeah you can.

can fault him for a lot of things. The first thing, being manipulated by two ****wits and becoming their pawn.
Well yeah, you can fault him for leaving us, but as far as his All Black goal is concerned, I don't think you can fault him for striving to achieve something so big and almost hitting the mark.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep in mind he's fasting for Ramadan so as much as he tried, he wouldn't have performed at 100% against the Springboks.

The article seems critical, but you have to remember that playing in the World Cup was a pretty big goal to set considering he is so new to the sport. Can't fault him for trying.
He's been playing rugby for 3 years now and I'm pretty sure he's played it prior to going professional in league. I don't think you can use the 'still adapting' argument.

He was quite awful against the Boks in Port Elizabeth, but he was also poor against them in the Wellington test. He has a lot of errors in his game and his passing game is so far behind Nonu's it's not funny.

I've said multiple times I like Sonny as a rugby player and I rate him as one, but I'm laughing to myself about all those clowns who don't even watch union but claim Sonny was or is the 'premier centre/back in union' at the time.

Nonu's form for the All Blacks shows what having good (or bad) players around you, like SBW has had with Canterbury and the Crusaders (good players in this case), can do. People were so critical of him (Nonu) during the Super 15, but he actually wasn't as poor as people said and the internal and on field problems of the Canes didn't help.

SBW on the other hand was playing in a team with Corey Flynn, B & O Franks, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Matt Tod, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Dan Carter, Zac Guildford, Israel Dagg, Sean Maitland and Robbie Freuan. Most of them are in the All Blacks 30 man World Cup squad.

Like I said, I like SBW as a rugby player, he is exciting and he has plenty of talent, but he is still a long way behind Nonu and his games this season in the Tri-Nations have shown that.

Hammett was a clown to let Nonu go too by the way, who is he going to play instead? Jayden Hayward? Talented kid but not a top Super 15 second five yet.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
He's been playing rugby for 3 years now and I'm pretty sure he's played it prior to going professional in league. I don't think you can use the 'still adapting' argument.

He was quite awful against the Boks in Port Elizabeth, but he was also poor against them in the Wellington test. He has a lot of errors in his game and his passing game is so far behind Nonu's it's not funny.

I've said multiple times I like Sonny as a rugby player and I rate him as one, but I'm laughing to myself about all those clowns who don't even watch union but claim Sonny was or is the 'premier centre/back in union' at the time.

Nonu's form for the All Blacks shows what having good players around you, like SBW has had with Canterbury and the Crusaders, can do. People were so critical of him during the Super 15, but he actually wasn't as poor as people said and the internal and on field problems of the Canes didn't help.

SBW on the other hand was playing in a team with Corey Flynn, B & O Franks, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Matt Tod, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Dan Carter, Zac Guildford, Israel Dagg, Sean Maitland and Robbie Freuan. Most of them are in the All Blacks 30 man World Cup squad.

Like I said, I like SBW as a rugby player, he is exciting and he has plenty of talent, but he is still a long way behind Nonu and his games this season in the Tri-Nations have shown that.
It's not so much the "still-adapting" argument. It's more that I'm confident all the guys who play rugby at a high level in NZ would love to crack the All Blacks squad. Guys who have been playing at that level for their entire careers. For a guy to come into the game at a professional level only a few years ago and say "I want to be an All Black" is a big call. Sure, part of me is cyncial in thinking the fact that he is "SBW" regardless of his skill has played a small part in him getting the call up. Still, I think it was a massive goal to set himself and I think he's done well considering he's up against guys who have been in the game a lot longer than him at a professional level. I can respect him for giving it a shot and achieving what he has so far. Even if he doesn't play in the world cup I think he has a lot to be proud of.

I guess the tone of the article read to me as "haha you didn't make it" and I don't think that's an entirely fair view.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
he def will play a pool game. Other than injuries he will find it hard to crack the team. Come back to League SBW!

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SBW along with quade cooper will be playing for the new Brisbane Bombers Team in 2013

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he should play against japan and canada. i thought sbw would be starting but nonu and smith have played just as good as ever. but at least the super sub isaia toeave will be playing.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I guess the tone of the article read to me as "haha you didn't make it" and I don't think that's an entirely fair view.
i do. didn't reach his goal and dumped on us to fail at it. sucked in, i say

i understand what you're saying and i respect you like to support the tattooed bro who looks like an adonis (jks), but this is my view and i'll never forgive him for what he's done to us.

anytime he fails, i will enjoy it. we struggled when we got left in a hole and he ran like a coward when times got tough (my view), so now i'm going to enjoy his missed opportunity.

just my preference

:grinning:

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
i do. didn't reach his goal and dumped on us to fail at it. sucked in, i say

i understand what you're saying and i respect you like to support the tattooed bro who looks like an adonis (jks), but this is my view and i'll never forgive him for what he's done to us.

anytime he fails, i will enjoy it. we struggled when we got left in a hole and he ran like a coward when times got tough (my view), so now i'm going to enjoy his missed opportunity.

just my preference

Well, I don't think making the All Blacks was his sole goal when he left us. I can only speculate that a complete lifestyle change was what he needed and sought and if you look at the way he carries himself these days he seems a lot more comfortable in his skin.

What he did to us was wrong, but the guy's got talent and I miss watching him play. I disagree with the way he left us and there are aspects of his relationship with Mundine/Nasser that appear a little... off to me, but I respect his talent and enjoy it whenever I get the chance to see it in action. Unfortunately that's not a lot these days.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well, I don't think making the All Blacks was his sole goal when he left us. I can only speculate that a complete lifestyle change was what he needed and sought and if you look at the way he carries himself these days he seems a lot more comfortable in his skin.

What he did to us was wrong, but the guy's got talent and I miss watching him play. I disagree with the way he left us and there are aspects of his relationship with Mundine/Nasser that appear a little... off to me, but I respect his talent and enjoy it whenever I get the chance to see it in action. Unfortunately that's not a lot these days.
making the all blacks was his goal. it was in that first interview 'the weed' did with him over in france. i know it wasn't the only reason he left.

i do respect people who support him and wish him the best, not at our expense though

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Everyone is basing this off 1 article. Who knows what could happen from now and then lol. Good Luck Sonny Bill!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
making the all blacks was his goal. it was in that first interview 'the weed' did with him over in france. i know it wasn't the only reason he left.

i do respect people who support him and wish him the best, not at our expense though

hahaha did you read one of the articles he wrote about visiting him over in France? I think he wrote his draft in jizz because he dwelled far too long on how he hugged Sonny. Was so odd.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hahaha did you read one of the articles he wrote about visiting him over in France? I think he wrote his draft in jizz because he dwelled far too long on how he hugged Sonny. Was so odd.
LMAO no, i do see some of his stuff, but normally avoid it. but DAMNIT i missed that one LOL. would have been a hoot :p

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think all this means I have won the bet between myself and Facebreaker. :p

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is basing this off 1 article. Who knows what could happen from now and then lol. Good Luck Sonny Bill!
i'll take what i can get hansta, i need soothing about all of this :p

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
LMAO no, i do see some of his stuff, but normally avoid it. but DAMNIT i missed that one LOL. would have been a hoot :p
A few words from Danny:

When I entered the apartment at the end of one of those typical French streets that are full of coffee shops and florists, I found Sonny shirtless, gobbling pistachio nuts and as pumped as I've seen him. In fact, I thought he was readying himself to play.

He greeted me with a shoulder-to-shoulder hug and started asking questions about my welfare and my family. When I asked how he was, the answer surprised me.

"Never better, I'm in a beautiful city about to start a new adventure," he said.
We talked for almost 50 minutes. We did the interview in an apartment without air conditioning so on a couple of occasions, we had to towel the big bloke down.
Mmm shirtless, pumped, sweaty, big, gobbling nuts, hugging. Spank me!

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
feel sorry for sbw. he deserved starting No.12 shirt based on S15. They gave first crack to the incumbent. Nonu did well. So you can't drop him. Doesn't mean that SBW is not a good player. Doesn't even mean that Nonu is necessarily better than SBW. That's just the way it goes sometimes. He's got to bide his time, get some more experience. He'll be able to assert his dominance soon enuf. It's just his first season in NZ rugby, so he's done pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.