Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Rugby league convert Sonny Bill Williams has been reprimanded by his Canterbury provincial rugby team for skiing while on injury leave.

Former NRL star Williams joined Canterbury after signing with the New Zealand Rugby Union earlier this year but has yet to play a match in New Zealand's National Provincial Championship because of knee and hamstring injuries.

A Canterbury Rugby Union spokesman confirms Williams had not been given clearance to go on a skiing trip on the day of Canterbury's fourth-round NPC match against Tasman.

The spokesman says Williams has been "reminded of his responsibilities."

Williams quit league in 2008 to play rugby for Toulon, then rejected a huge offer from the club to try and play for the All Blacks.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Sonny Bill Williams reprimanded for taking ski trip when he was out injured

FORMER Bulldog Sonny Bill Williams has been reprimanded by his Canterbury provincial rugby team for skiing while on injury leave.

Former NRL star Williams joined Canterbury after signing with the New Zealand Rugby Union earlier this year but has yet to play a match in New Zealand's National Provincial Championship because of knee and hamstring injuries.

A Canterbury Rugby Union spokesman confirms Williams had not been given clearance to go on a skiing trip on the day of Canterbury's fourth-round NPC match against Tasman.

The spokesman says Williams has been "reminded of his responsibilities".

Williams quit league in 2008 to play rugby for Toulon, then rejected a huge offer from the club to try and play for the All Blacks.

Source: Telecrap
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ed-over-ski-trip/story-e6frey4i-1225910313400

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Hahaha. I just posted this in Other Sports.

My Bad

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
Ah yes, that's the Money Bill we know and love. Douchebag. Thank god we don't have to deal with him any more

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He won't make it in union, which is why we'll see him back at league once his contract with us is up / his chances of playing the world cup are over imo. Four years in multiple codes is a long time so who knows whether he will ever return to his dominant form late in his NRL career.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
his 25 now, time running out for SBW. What a waste of a talent.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He can do whatever he wants. He will be a god in this country once he single handedly brings the World Cup home for the all blacks.

LOL @ him not making the squad, he is automatic selection (he will be the first name picked) hence him f*cking around enjoying the good life before he gets down to serious business of owning everyone in being the best union player this generation will ever see.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He can do whatever he wants. He will be a god in this country once he single handedly brings the World Cup home for the all blacks.

LOL @ him not making the squad, he is automatic selection (he will be the first name picked) hence him f*cking around enjoying the good life before he gets down to serious business of owning everyone in being the best union player this generation will ever see.
your wanking over him is boring and predictable.

every time he fails i smile a little

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
FB just made me sick, there's nothing wrong with being Gay, but then there's FB's love for SBW, which is fckn disgusting.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
sonny bono skis horses and hittin some trees

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...primanded-for-skiing-trip-20100826-13t0p.html

Sonny Bill Williams is on a slippery slope with Canterbury rugby bosses after an unauthorised skiing trip while on the injury list.

The star signing has been reprimanded by the Canterbury Rugby Football Union (CRFU) for going skiing last Saturday, and this morning All Blacks assistant coach Wayne Smith described it as a "bad decision".

Williams has not yet played for Canterbury in the New Zealand domestic competition, the ITM Cup, because of injury. He had been ruled out of the match against Tasman, being played in Nelson the day of the skiing trip.

Sonny Bill Williams has played rugby as many times as he has been skiing since returning to New Zealand. Photo: Getty Images

A CRFU spokesman said yesterday that Williams had skied at the Mount Hutt Ski Area during a sightseeing tour for "overseas guests".

"I believe he put skis on a couple of times, did a couple of runs, and then took them off and watched," he said.

"He needed to get clearance [first], but he didn't do that."

The spokesman said the matter was handled "internally".

"He's been talked to and reminded of his responsibilities in terms of letting people know what he's doing.

"He taken that on the chin and realised he's made a mistake in this instance."

Williams resumed full training this week, but the transgression did not result in his non-selection.

"It's already out there that he's not going to be playing for us on Saturday [against Auckland], but that's purely because he hasn't been playing any rugby recently."

It is likely that Williams will play for Canterbury Metro in Saturday's curtain-raiser.

Smith said Williams's actions should not be construed as the 25-year-old lacking professionalism nor the desire to play for the All Blacks.

"[But] it's significant enough for people to be asking questions," Smith told Livesport Radio.

"From my point of view, having met him a few times, I think he is serious; it's a fairly major decision to come out here and follow his dream.

"He's a young man and all young men make bad decisions at times. This is simply one of those."

Smith said the former National Rugby League star still had a chance to push for a place in the season-ending All Blacks tour to Hong Kong and the United Kingdom.

"Sonny's got to play well for Canterbury before he even gets close to an All Blacks environment," Smith said.

"It depends how well he goes. It's probably not the number [of games]; it's the quality of them.

"He could go on and blow the competition wide open or he could take a while to settle in. That will be the relevant point I think. If he looks like he's to the manor born and going to be a very productive member of the team, then we'll have a look at him."

Mount Hutt Ski Area manager David Wilson said none of his staff reported seeing Williams.

"I didn't see him and he didn't say 'hello' to me," he said.

"I'm not aware that he was up here, but he could have been."

Williams was spotted last Saturday evening enjoying the Methven nightlife, while wearing a knitted reindeer cardigan.

Methven teacher Kathryn Gunn took the opportunity of a photo with the former league star at The Brown Pub.

"He was so friendly and lovely," she said.

"I spotted him and no one believed me, so I got some people to ask if it was him."

The Brown Pub owner Trev Den Baars said Williams drank coffee with a group and watched rugby on the television.

Williams was recognised by "a few" locals and was happy to pose for photos.

"I said 'g'day' and turned the TV volume up for them.

"I recognised that he just wanted some peace and quiet.

"The locals and the youngsters that were about were very excited about seeing him, that's for sure."

The Canterbury Rugby Football Union spokesman said Williams was not required in Nelson, despite the promotional potential for the union's Crusaders franchise partner.

"We've got to pay for an extra [plane] seat and an extra hotel bed. That's never a policy for any team," he said.

"It's just a waste of money."

Williams did attend Canterbury's pre-season match against Tasman in Blenheim.

"Our franchise partners had a good look at him then and he signed about 1000 autographs and had about 500 pictures taken."

Its seems SBW is the expert when it comes to making bad decisions. Blaming it on his 'youth' is getting old ... :sleep:

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you. The bloke puts bums on seats. He will raise the profile of union. People will tune in to watch union who couldn't be bothered with the game before. There were 3 countries vying for him to play for their national teams, Australia, Tonga, and NZ. He chose NZ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
sonny bill won't put bums on seats or raise the profile in NZ,europe, SA maybe aus and thats about it

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with you. The bloke puts bums on seats. He will raise the profile of union. People will tune in to watch union who couldn't be bothered with the game before. There were 3 countries vying for him to play for their national teams, Australia, Tonga, and NZ. He chose NZ.
If his form does not deserve selection there is no reason why he will be selected over a player who does for the world cup.

Facebreaker, SBW is nowhere near the dominant force as he was in the NRL yet so how can you be so certain he will become the greatest union player this generation will ever see? SBW is still a myth in union, he knows he can't dominate the code like league which is why he wanted to return. He then had a massive sook via Nasser in the paper and compared Sonny Bill to Tiger Woods and Roger Federer which I'm sure you'd agree on LOL.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Samoa*

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His local club game which normally drew a crowd of around 250, drew a crowd of 4000.

This guy is the biggest drawcard to NZRU since Jonah Lomu called it quits.

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't hate this guy I just feel sorry for him sooooo much talent just being waisted away.This clowns just a side show freak now. In 10 years when he can't run anymore he'll be sitting in his beach front mansion that's when he'll finally realize what talent god gave him and how he went about ruining it!Doesn't it just make you sick some people have it all but are to thick (sbw) to realize it until it's to late!! Surely you would rather be knowN as the greatest ever league player with good money rather than someone who could have been with heaps of money? SICKENING really

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tbh would still want him back....He showed more aggression and passion playing for us despite the fact he knew he was going to leave than the majority of our squad this year....

If it meant the end of guys like Warburton, the 'Dogs should definitely take him back, he was the best second rower we've had in a very long time...

Not often a second rower could literally be a playmaker in his team...SBW was exactly that for us in 2008

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
His local club game which normally drew a crowd of around 250, drew a crowd of 4000.

This guy is the biggest drawcard to NZRU since Jonah Lomu called it quits.
no he's not. if union wasn't the biggest sport in nz then maybe. but he'll make very little difference to the crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.