Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I think the All Blacks loss last night does open up some opportunities for the likes of SBW. Although both Nonu and Smith scored, there was still a marked lack of creativity in the AB's play and Sonny could definitely bring something to the table here. Wouldn't write him off just yet.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The absolute last thing we needed last night was SBW to be honest. Too many idiots were attempting offloads when the ball just needed to be held on to e.g. Victor Vito (who was actually superb in the second half taking the ball up).

Notice how the All Blacks scored 17 unanswered when we played some structured rugby? Also SBW's terrible passing game wouldn't have done much with the Australian backs who were rushing out of the line quickly.

Also, if SBW is so great in defence why did Ben Tapuai make a half break every time he got the ball in the S15 final? Seems odd that someone who you say is apparently a better defender than Nonu had trouble dealing with a man much smaller than him.

Like I said, I'm happy to disagree on this because we are both not going to change our minds, but I think the All Blacks selections show who they consider the better player.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching quade cooper cracked me up, throws it where ever he wants. he would be awesome playing for the warriors.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It has taken a while for me to get to this thread but now that I am here I will clarify a few things.

The great one has not been playing due to one sole reason - there is a clash between one of his sponsors and the NZRU. Henry has been told to stand down SBW until this is resolved and unfortunately there appears to be no headway on this.

This is the reason the most talented footballer of our generation has not resigned with the NZRU yet and not announced which super 15 franchise he will play with next season.

The conflict is Coca-Cola is a major sponsor of the All Blacks/RWC and SBW has his own water brand as a sponsor. Interestingly enough a few of the all blacks run a bottled water company but the NZRU has no beef with them - this is what is pissing off Khoder the most.

My bet with Books/Gladiator still stands however we really won't know who Henry selects as his favourite player in the number 12 jersey until the AB's have their first "do or die" match in the RWC. This will be the first knockout quarterfinal.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The absolute last thing we needed last night was SBW to be honest. Too many idiots were attempting offloads when the ball just needed to be held on to e.g. Victor Vito (who was actually superb in the second half taking the ball up).

Notice how the All Blacks scored 17 unanswered when we played some structured rugby? Also SBW's terrible passing game wouldn't have done much with the Australian backs who were rushing out of the line quickly.

Also, if SBW is so great in defence why did Ben Tapuai make a half break every time he got the ball in the S15 final? Seems odd that someone who you say is apparently a better defender than Nonu had trouble dealing with a man much smaller than him.

Like I said, I'm happy to disagree on this because we are both not going to change our minds, but I think the All Blacks selections show who they consider the better player.
nah c'mon... sonny's line running off Carter would have def added something. One thing that clearly evident from the game was that there was little cohesion between 10 and 12. I wouldn't judge sonny's defense from one game. For the majority of the season he handled defense against some of the best sides very well.

I agree that when they were more structured they were much more threatening. But that was mostly down to the forwards laying a platform. Any backline would struggle if their forwards are going backwards. Imagine sonny in there running off Carter when the forwards a putting several phases together. Havoc. I don't think he's completely out of the mix just yet

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
It has taken a while for me to get to this thread but now that I am here I will clarify a few things.

The great one has not been playing due to one sole reason - there is a clash between one of his sponsors and the NZRU. Henry has been told to stand down SBW until this is resolved and unfortunately there appears to be no headway on this.

This is the reason the most talented footballer of our generation has not resigned with the NZRU yet and not announced which super 15 franchise he will play with next season.

The conflict is Coca-Cola is a major sponsor of the All Blacks/RWC and SBW has his own water brand as a sponsor. Interestingly enough a few of the all blacks run a bottled water company but the NZRU has no beef with them - this is what is pissing off Khoder the most.

My bet with Books/Gladiator still stands however we really won't know who Henry selects as his favourite player in the number 12 jersey until the AB's have their first "do or die" match in the RWC. This will be the first knockout quarterfinal.
IF this is true, ffs Khoder let Sonny play footy. It's not as if he can't get sponsors elsewhere.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Tri nations champs biatches! Bring on the Bledisloe now!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Some out of context tweets for you all:

@The_Man_Mundine Anthony Mundine
@realsonnybill Bra the more I think of this bull**** the more I think I gotta get yu out of that environment

@realsonnybill Sonny Bill Williams
"@The_Man_Mundine: lol relax my brother Ill just keep working hard and having faith in the man above and things will work out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
nah c'mon... sonny's line running off Carter would have def added something. One thing that clearly evident from the game was that there was little cohesion between 10 and 12. I wouldn't judge sonny's defense from one game. For the majority of the season he handled defense against some of the best sides very well.

I agree that when they were more structured they were much more threatening. But that was mostly down to the forwards laying a platform. Any backline would struggle if their forwards are going backwards. Imagine sonny in there running off Carter when the forwards a putting several phases together. Havoc. I don't think he's completely out of the mix just yet
I completely agree with the bolded point, he's still the second best 12 in the country and it's why he's a part of the 30 man World Cup squad.

I honestly don't wish anything negative on Sonny, if he does end up playing better than Nonu, then it only improves the All Blacks side, which is good for me.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will start for the All Blacks this weekend in the world cup quarter final against Argentina, on the left wing.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Had a big game in the semi...

lol

massive night for the Nasser stable

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to show my mate the article from when Sonny Bill knocked out a couple of players in an all in brawl in lower grade league.

Anyone got a link?

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't been paying any attention to this thread or Sonny's campaign in the World Cup.

However, given the Rugby World Cup was his ultimate goal in playing rugby union, my question is: How successful was he?

Not taking into account money, should he have remained in rugby league (even if overseas)?

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't been paying any attention to this thread or Sonny's campaign in the World Cup.

However, given the Rugby World Cup was his ultimate goal in playing rugby union, my question is: How successful was he?

Not taking into account money, should he have remained in rugby league (even if overseas)?
He played in the super 15 final(lost to the reds) and the world cup so he was successful in his getting his goal done and in a year and a half of playing rugby in NZ he accomplished what many have played there entire careers without achieving.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's surely done in NZ Rugby Union - I'd be stunned if he hung around more than a year or so. He's got what he wanted (i.e. the ability to brag that he's a World Cup winning All Black) but the truth is, the team proved they didn't really need him. His contribution to the later stages of the tournament was absolutely zero. In the semi and the final he spent more time in the sinbin that he did on the field. (Did he even touch the ball in the final? Maybe once?)

I think his ego, wallet and Nasser will drive him wherever the money is and wherever he'll be blindly loved. Behind Smith and Nonu, he'll never be adored the way he wants to be by the All Blacks. That either means French Rugby Union or maybe, with a bigger TV deal, the highest NRL bidder. I doubt his marketability in NZ is anywhere near as high as he imagined it would be after a World Cup win given his little more than cheerleader involvement in the business end of the comp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was he successful? I'd say yes. He had a strong season in S15, playing in the final.

He also won a rugby world cup as an All Black, something many great players have never done. He fulfilled what most would consider to be his goals in coming to rugby union.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was he successful? I'd say yes. He had a strong season in S15, playing in the final.

He also won a rugby world cup as an All Black, something many great players have never done. He fulfilled what most would consider to be his goals in coming to rugby union.
Technically he was in the team, but how active a member of the team was he? How long did he spend on the field in all the World Cup games?

I really don't know the answer to these questions - which is why I am asking. :grinning:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Technically he was in the team, but how active a member of the team was he? How long did he spend on the field in all the World Cup games?

I really don't know the answer to these questions - which is why I am asking. :grinning:
He played every game and started 3. He wasn't first choice but he appeared in the final and semi as well as starting the quarter final against Argentina.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
He's surely done in NZ Rugby Union - I'd be stunned if he hung around more than a year or so. He's got what he wanted (i.e. the ability to brag that he's a World Cup winning All Black) but the truth is, the team proved they didn't really need him. His contribution to the later stages of the tournament was absolutely zero. In the semi and the final he spent more time in the sinbin that he did on the field. (Did he even touch the ball in the final? Maybe once?)

I think his ego, wallet and Nasser will drive him wherever the money is and wherever he'll be blindly loved. Behind Smith and Nonu, he'll never be adored the way he wants to be by the All Blacks. That either means French Rugby Union or maybe, with a bigger TV deal, the highest NRL bidder. I doubt his marketability in NZ is anywhere near as high as he imagined it would be after a World Cup win given his little more than cheerleader involvement in the business end of the comp.
This. Awesome post.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do wonder where he'll end up and what he is thinking (or what his management is thinking in this regard). There's not a lot more he can do in either code really, in terms of winning things. He has won a premiership in league, he's won the Rugby World Cup as an All Black. I guess the RLWC could be a target, but the tournament is hardly very prestigious.

I have my doubts over him staying here in NZ next year, as I'm sure most people do. I think the most likely destination is rugby in France where he'll probably go for massive money.

Status
Not open for further replies.