Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad, you must now concede that sonny usurping Nonu is a very distinct possibility. It might even be a probability now. His performance against the best centre combo in the world, Jdv and Fourie, was very good. I know it wasn't his most sparkling performance, but one flash of brilliance from SBW broke the game wide open in the 8th minute and set the tone for the rest of the game. Remember there was no Carter, no Thorn, no McCaw and a whole host of other ABs in the side. Dagg, Maitland and Kahn all came off injured. The Crusaders forwards deserve much of the credit too. But Sonny was solid and was a constant threat.

He was also massive against the Sharks and the Bulls. His game against the Sharks was simply masterful. He has now dealt decisively with all the South African threats.

One thing that is remarkable about Sonny is that he consistently lives up to the hype that surrounds him. There was so much hype about Sonny when he arrived in Cape Town. Many Saffies who were doubters before the Stormers match are no longer doubters. It's a rare thing for an athlete (no matter what sport) to continually live up to the hype. Sonny has that.

I now have no reservations in saying that Sonny is a better rugby player than Nonu. i say this with the utmost respect for Nonu. But Sonny is just so much more of a threat. His rapid adaption to rugby is just about complete.

I think you'd have to admit that you never thought sonny would be so good in his first season of super rugby. Neither did I to be honest. Many aussie commentators rubbished him also based on other league converts that didn't quite live up to the hype. But Sonny has lived up to and exceeded all expectations. I'd be very surprised if he is not first choice come WC time. Even Tim Horan thinks that Sonny could possibly take Nonu's spot. This bloke is a phenomenon.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh give it a rest simmmo, you obviously haven't even read my past posts, because I've made it clear I think it is going to happen (Sonny surpassing Nonu) at some stage, just not yet.

Nonu is injured at the moment as well....

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh give it a rest simmmo, you obviously haven't even read my past posts, because I've made it clear I think it is going to happen (Sonny surpassing Nonu) at some stage, just not yet.

Nonu is injured at the moment as well....
that stage has now come... Sonny is a better player and has shown as much. Even if Nonu had been playing, he would not have been as dominant as sonny has been. He has NEVER stamped his mark on a game and tournament like Sonny has in this S15 competition. btw Nonu is back this weekend. He's not as good as Sonny. His form for the ABs has been patchy over the years. He may of had some good years. But you look at Sonny. the bloke is always good. He's in the Lomu/Carter category. I mean JdV, a vastly experienced player, had a hell of a time containing him. To say that Sonny has not now surpassed Nonu is simply being disingenous.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lettuce be cereal, SBW is the better player.only injurie will stop him starting

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Nonu has been absolute puss this season. SBW deserves his place and will start the majority of tests this year.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Reports on twitter: SBW has just come out of the closet

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
iPhone app
Sonny Bill v lard of the ring

Nick Walshaw
June 02, 2011 12:00AM

SO this is what happens when Sonny Bill Williams demands tougher opponents, eh?

When one of the greatest athletes on the planet - a fighter ridiculously compared to Muhammad Ali - insists his management scour the heavyweight division for more credible rivals.

They go dig up Alipate Liava'a ... a Tongan gospel singer who is 18 years older, 15kg heavier and currently on a losing streak stretching seven straight bouts.For those fight fans who lose interest when rankings dip outside the top 400, Liava'a is the man challenging Williams on a televised card in New Zealand on Sunday.

A boxer who, despite boasting some resemblance to fellow Island heavyweight David Tua, enjoys a win rate to rival poker machines.

Honestly, serious fight fans should look away now.

Because according to Boxrec, Liava'a has not won a heavyweight clash in three years. He was KO'd last start by Lucas "Big Daddy" Browne. Before that, losing to Big Bob Mirovic on points.

His most recent success coming way back in July, 2008 ... against a Tongan debutant who has not stepped into the ring since.

About the only positive to come out of this challenge is Williams' decision to gift his entire $75,000 purse to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal. Good on him.

Now, what about the rest of us follow suit? Come on.

Take the 40 bucks Main Event is demanding for this card and, instead, donate it to the Salvos or Beyond Blue. Maybe buy some books for your local Children's Ward.

Even post it to Williams' charity across the ditch.

Certainly this is what Team Mundine deserve.

For us fight fans to immerse ourselves in the same charitable spirit that has seen them match Williams with a chubby choirboy who, at 43, could be taking his own Closer Walk With Thee come Sunday.

Which isn't to suggest Williams, with just three bouts to his credit, should be forced to fight champions. Far from it.

But the Crusaders superstar needs to understand that, just like mate Choc Mundine, he has the power to do great things for boxing. To bring it from the results column and on to the back page.

Yet Williams can also make a joke of the sport too.

This fella who Team Mundine have likened to Ali.

A chiselled Adonis who, after dispatching Hamburgler look-a-like Ryan Hogan last June, told everyone he wanted real fights. Real opponents.

Sadly, Liava'a is not one of them. Worse, their bout just happens to be headlining a hyped card where pay-per-view numbers have absolutely no bearing on the money raised for charity.

Which is why those two 20s should both go to the Salvos.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
About the only positive to come out of this challenge is Williams' decision to gift his entire $75,000 purse to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal. Good on him.
If the writer can read between the lines and actually asked SBW whats the whole purpose of this fight esp since he has had no boxing training since his last fight, he would have found out it was all for the earthquake Appeal.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
If the writer can read between the lines and actually asked SBW whats the whole purpose of this fight esp since he has had no boxing training since his last fight, he would have found out it was all for the earthquake Appeal.
and best not to get himself injured before the World Cup.

It's for charity. Pay your money to have a perve on SBW or gtfo.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
always an excuse.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Charity is a good excuse. If every sports star turned to boxing to help charities, all charities would be overflooded with $$$.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Charity is a good excuse. If every sports star turned to boxing to help charities, all charities would be overflooded with $$$.
excuse to fight a fat **** he'll beat with 3 punches
Imagine how much money he would make this charity if he fought someone decent.
Haters gonna hate.

What an Athlete.
Not sure if you can call him an athlete champ...

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
He isnt a boxer,

sure Mundine hypes him up already to being as good as Ali when SBW hasnt even taken the sport seriously, but lets face it. SBW might know how to punch, but im sure he knows he doesnt have the technicality to last 12 rounds without making mistakes against credible boxers.

Unless im wrong, has SBW hyped himself up to being an awesome boxer that can even take on boxers that are in the middle range even?

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
He isnt a boxer,

sure Mundine hypes him up already to being as good as Ali when SBW hasnt even taken the sport seriously, but lets face it. SBW might know how to punch, but im sure he knows he doesnt have the technicality to last 12 rounds without making mistakes against credible boxers.

Unless im wrong, has SBW hyped himself up to being an awesome boxer that can even take on boxers that are in the middle range even?
Dunno what SBW has hyped or not.

Going into bouts that last 20 seconds makes a mockery of the sport though

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I wish SBW would let me hit him.

Boom tish, etc.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Dunno what SBW has hyped or not.

Going into bouts that last 20 seconds makes a mockery of the sport though
Welcome to the sport of Boxing!!! Boxing has been a joke for years now. It's a shame.

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes Sonny's purse from the fight is going to charity $75k I think. But Mundine and co will pocket plenty from the Main Event PPV if people are stupid enough to subscribe.

Next Sonny will probably want to throw down with that Aussie Jo Bugner bloke...

J-H13

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His doing it for a good cause. End of story

Status
Not open for further replies.