News Why Kieran Foran isn't angry about looming $500,000 pay cut

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From the past couple of years quite a few million reasons...

No denying the guy has talent but unfortunately made of glass....

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From the past couple of years quite a few million reasons...

No denying the guy has talent but unfortunately made of glass....
What if he were on 300-400k? Would you be as against it?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How much are we prepared to risk on Foran ? "Risk" why must we keep risking or hoping? Im sick of hoping.
How much is he prepared to accept from us ? dont know
How much will he sacrifice to go back to Womanly ? who cares
The biggest question is...Is his heart with us or Hitler or just the money ??? we'll never know.

I respect others opinions too so not having a go at you. Just answering the questions.
No offence taken...You've answered well...
You realise that there are way too many question marks about Foran...This is my whole point !!!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No offence taken...You've answered well...
You realise that there are way too many question marks about Foran...This is my whole point !!!
I guess it's balancing the question marks, which are all valid btw, with the quality we have or could potentially get.

The biggest question mark is obviously his fitness, which is completely understandable. My worry is who would we bring in to replace him. Yes, @Sancho2020 said we've got 2 youngsters already who he feels could do the job and I respect that. But it's a pretty big big risk is it not to put all of our eggs in one basket and hope they both create something special. Especially when they don't really have a great backline behind them, nor and ball playing forwards in front.

I'd argue, at this time when our team is clearly quite weak on the attacking side of things we need someone with a bit more experience to help steer them around. Foran. Adding to that, having a player like him would also more likely attract other players too. Rather than untried rookies.

Of course, that's all great but if he's injured it means nothing ... It's a hard one, but for me I'd go with Foran unless we can get an experienced and good player in his place.

A

Alexander the Great

Balancing*. Something your really good at with.

Example the multiple accounts.
I guess it's balancing the question marks, which are all valid btw, with the quality we have or could potentially get.

The biggest question mark is obviously his fitness, which is completely understandable. My worry is who would we bring in to replace him. Yes, @Sancho2020 said we've got 2 youngsters already who he feels could do the job and I respect that. But it's a pretty big big risk is it not to put all of our eggs in one basket and hope they both create something special. Especially when they don't really have a great backline behind them, nor and ball playing forwards in front.

I'd argue, at this time when our team is clearly quite weak on the attacking side of things we need someone with a bit more experience to help steer them around. Foran. Adding to that, having a player like him would also more likely attract other players too. Rather than untried rookies.

Of course, that's all great but if he's injured it means nothing ... It's a hard one, but for me I'd go with Foran unless we can get an experienced and good player in his place.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can someone please outline to me the alternative to Foran? Get that people don't see Foran as a viable option because of his injuries, but who out there is atainable and roughly at the same level as Foran?

My thing is that, from what people have presented to me, is that there's really no one else. And people would like to stick witht he youngesters we have already .... which being honest .... scared the shit out of me more than keeping Foran who is actually an absolutely fantastic player on his day. Far above any half or 5/8 we have at the club. Far far above
Are there no other established or young halves in the comp that will be available for next year aside from Foran? Here I was thinking there were 15 other teams, Q Cup and the Super League to choose players from.

I didn't realise that old cripple Foran and his ten to twelve games a season max was the only viable option left.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are there no other established or young halves in the comp that will be available for next year aside from Foran? Here I was thinking there were 15 other teams, Q Cup and the Super League to choose players from.

I didn't realise that old cripple Foran and his ten to twelve games a season max was the only viable option left.
So you're basically re-asking the same question I asked. What alternatives are there out there? Have been asking it and no one has come back to me with anything.

We've got two pretty good youngsters who can play there so going after another untested half or 5/8 is the answer? I'd say it's better to get someone with a bit more experience.

Again, I'm honestly asking the question. Would love for someone to come up with a better scenario that Foran but as of yet, in my mind no one has. Glad to be wrong though :grinning: :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm going to group them together as they haven't really been tested yet mate. And to rate them on playing one game together is a big big leap. Clearly they are talented, and could quite well be the future. However, if we're going to judge them as the future of the club then we need to judge them on what they've done so far. Has either of them shown enough this year to show they're the answer? Averillo only played 30 odd mins, no? Wakeham, as promising he is, didn't really show a lot though did he?

I'm not attacking you about this as I can't comment on how they played so much for obvious reasons. But, if Foran was getting paid 300-400k then I don't think as many people would be opposed to him being around for a year or two more to mentor the two blokes you mentioned.
It's not rating them off one game though, it's based off multiple games over years and feedback from others. These two are proper footballers and bring key skills to the table that we have been lacking for years, yes, they might not make it but I'm more than happy to the see the club risk it with them instead of persisting with unreliable or poorly skilled players.

The club and it's fans need to stop being so scared, they cry about a lack of talent yet then when we have two talented, confident local juniors that WANT to play for the club, they instead want to hold them back.

The other big thing is that there isn't actually anyone available worth recruiting in the halves, if there was a Keary, Munster, DCE, etc available then yh go for it, but there just isn't. We need to be far smarter with our recruitment and not panic our way into poor decisions. We've invested millions into Foran and he has been nothing but unreliable, so why throw anymore money into him when the return is so minimal. For 300k you say? Sure, but he won't stay for 300k.

I've already listed on here who I'd be looking at buying, and for me it's experienced players that bring key skills that are lacking in the squad. So say a Friend or a Tamou. They fit the bill and will improve the side, help the side develop and give the club a little more time to evaluate our options moving forward. You then have your less experienced players but again they bring key skills we're lacking and have plenty of upside. So Mahoney, Cotric or To'o.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So you're basically re-asking the same question I asked. What alternatives are there out there? Have been asking it and no one has come back to me with anything.

We've got two pretty good youngsters who can play there so going after another untested half or 5/8 is the answer? I'd say it's better to get someone with a bit more experience.

Again, I'm honestly asking the question. Would love for someone to come up with a better scenario that Foran but as of yet, in my mind no one has. Glad to be wrong though :grinning: :grinning:
I'm not going to write a list because players break contracts all of the time and will do so even more with so many having to take huge cuts due to the current situation.

Bear in mind that everyone said that there were no halves worth signing last year, but in two rounds recent signings like George Williams, Croft and Drinkwater were all impressing. So each year new options will arise in a constantly changing market.

Let Foran hobble around in his twilight years at another club while we look to the future with Wakeham, Averillo and hopefully another talented half to compete with them.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not rating them off one game though, it's based off multiple games over years and feedback from others. These two are proper footballers and bring key skills to the table that we have been lacking for years, yes, they might not make it but I'm more than happy to the see the club risk it with them instead of persisting with unreliable or poorly skilled players.

The club and it's fans need to stop being so scared, they cry about a lack of talent yet then when we have two talented, confident local juniors that WANT to play for the club, they instead want to hold them back.

The other big thing is that there isn't actually anyone available worth recruiting in the halves, if there was a Keary, Munster, DCE, etc available then yh go for it, but there just isn't. We need to be far smarter with our recruitment and not panic our way into poor decisions. We've invested millions into Foran and he has been nothing but unreliable, so why throw anymore money into him when the return is so minimal. For 300k you say? Sure, but he won't stay for 300k.

I've already listed on here who I'd be looking at buying, and for me it's experienced players that bring key skills that are lacking in the squad. So say a Friend or a Tamou. They fit the bill and will improve the side, help the side develop and give the club a little more time to evaluate our options moving forward. You then have your less experienced players but again they bring key skills we're lacking and have plenty of upside. So Mahoney, Cotric or To'o.
That's a pretty balanced view and fair points you made mate. Agree that we need to start backing our youngsters. I don't know if these two are that great or not, I certainly can't comment on that. I'd simply argue that having an experienced head in there, like Foran, would be a great way to help the youngsters grow into their positions with perhaps a little less stress of pressure.

Foran staying is only on minimum money though. And you're probably right. He's not going to drop off 500k or more from this year's contract. Though, in the current situation and having to negotiate a new deal? Who knows? If he were to drop below 500k then I personally think it'd be a no brainer.

In the case we can't sign him on for another season, then I'm in agreeance with you that there's no other good viable options out there so it's best to go with the youth we have. Scares me but better to give them a go than sigh up some hasbeen or hasnot.

I do think your points about buying quality in other posititions are especially good. Time will tell I guess.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not going to write a list because players break contracts all of the time and will do so even more with so many having to take huge cuts due to the current situation.

Bear in mind that everyone said that there were no halves worth signing last year, but in two rounds recent signings like George Williams, Croft and Drinkwater were all impressing. So each year new options will arise in a constantly changing market.

Let Foran hobble around in his twilight years at another club while we look to the future with Wakeham, Averillo and hopefully another talented half to compete with them.
Fair enough. We'll see what happens in the future and hopefully we find the right balance between experience and youth. All about balance.

Fair points though.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

For three seasons we have asked the same question about Foran
For three seasons Foran had answered...
I feel like a ninety year old
My rehab is going great
I am ready to go
With out fail and after a handful of games in every season the curse strikes again
Honestly...If Rugby League's future hinges on Foran's recovery or any individual
The game is in trouble !!!

Last edited:

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran didn't work out for us. The best thing for the club would be to not even enter in contact extension
negotiations with him.
We need to move forward as a club.
foran is too injury prone, 3 games max and then he breaks down with a new injury . You cannot build a team around these fragile players.
His best footy days were at Manly.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Hastings is a name that comes in mind
If I was in charge this is what I would do...
Check on his behavior problems...If it is fixed
Sign him as a hooker or halfback if he comes on the cheap !

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foran didn't work out for us. The best thing for the club would be to not even enter in contact extension
negotiations with him.
We need to move forward as a club.
foran is too injury prone, 3 games max and then he breaks down with a new injury . You cannot build a team around these fragile players.
His best footy days were at Manly.
Agree with all of the above. Really do. Just worry that we're leaving ourselves massively short without anyone on top of what we currently have.

I wouldn't be signing Foran to build a team around but to get us through the next year or so giving the young fellas some support.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't know much about him if I'm honest, but from Google he looks a decent player?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Leopards rarely change their spots mate.
Some people grow up though.
Seems risky to me - and after what we’ve just been though do we really want anyone with a history of problems?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above. Really do. Just worry that we're leaving ourselves massively short without anyone on top of what we currently have.

I wouldn't be signing Foran to build a team around but to get us through the next year or so giving the young fellas some support.
The problem is he will not be there for no one he is always injured

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Leopards rarely change their spots mate.
Some people grow up though.
Seems risky to me - and after what we’ve just been though do we really want anyone with a history of problems?
I totally agree
I hope it doesn't get to desperate times for desperate measures