News Why Kieran Foran isn't angry about looming $500,000 pay cut

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kieran Foran knows he is fortunate to have been paid big money in recent years, despite being injured for a lot of that time. Which is why he is not "kicking and scremaing" about now being one of the NRL stars set to be hit hardest by the pay cut players accepted in their deal with the NRL.

One of 13 first-graders on $1 million a season or more, Foran stands to lose $500,000 of that should no more games be played this NRL season.

The pay deal announced this week will see players earn two months worth of wages and payments while the season is suspended. If the competition is unable to resume, players will surrender five out of 12 months' salary.

A rugby league great has suggested the entire NRL could be relocated to a Queensland island, then brought to the mainland for games.

In a cruel twist, Foran is finally physically ready to return to the park, only for there to be no games to play.

Like every other rugby league player, Foran said he is happy to take a pay cut – no matter how large – if it means "we can help keep the game alive for future years".

The reality is the whole world is suffering from this coronavirus and people around the world have lost jobs, lost their businesses and pay packets; we're no different," Foran said.

Kieran Foran won't be complaining about losing up to five months wages because of COVID-19. It's a great game we get to play and it's a great honour. The game's financial situation is not ideal.

"Yes, it will be difficult this year [with less money]. It means you have to adjust the way you live and your lifestyle choices. But if it means we've got a game next year, that's what we need to do."

Foran is off contract for next year and had hoped to sort his own future by August before the competition was shut down.

Now he knows he could be waiting right up until November to learn if he will remain at Belmore in 2021 or be forced to play elsewhere.

The only way he can secure a contract is to prove he can remain on the park for a prolonged period.

One positive for Foran is he will have fully recovered his shoulder injury - suffered in his New Zealand return in November - for Canterbury's next match, which will double as the five-eighth's 200th career game.

Kieran Foran will have recovered from a shoulder injury the next time the Bulldogs take the field - a game which will be his 200th top-grade game.

The Bulldogs lost their opening two games of 2020 with coach Dean Pay hinting a change was imminent in the halves, four days before the competition was suspended.

Foran brings class and is guaranteed to spark the Dogs' attack, something the club missed during the first two rounds.

"I'll be right for whenever we return," Foran said. "Put it this way, if I had to play next week in a grand final, I could play.

"The rehab is going really well. I'm basically doing all my rehab programs at home, but I'm still allowed access to [Dogs medico] Tony [Ayoub] and can go into the club for treatment.

I'm actually used to training on my own and having to spend time in rehab.

"For me it's about trusting the process. I believe we have a great game and the game will get back up and running this year.

"Then it will be up to me to put my best foot forward and play the best footy for the boys and the club, and hopefully if I do that I can earn myself another contract beyond this year.

Canterbury have two spots to fill on their roster after Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera were deregistered for their part in the Port Macquarie sex scandal.

The Dogs cannot negotiate with any players, but know they will need to fill those vacancies, most likely with development players, should the competition resume.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You gotta feel sorry for the bloke.

He slugged it out all this time to get the big third year back loaded payday and this happens.

Hopefully the club can be a bit generous in a 12 month extension. Least they can do if they have a heart

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I think its fake news that he would be able to return if there was a game now

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Realise the tide of support against him because of all of the injuries. Share the frustration with all of you.

Without a viable alternative, and clearly we're struggling with what we've got atm, extending his contract seems a no-brainer to me. Especially at a knockdown deal. Hope that club makes it happen!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Next year is next year, it’s what he does this year that matters. If he plays the rest of the season I’m confident we make the finals, that’s how much difference he makes. He turns our suspect halves into one of the league’s best, hopefully he can stay on the field, play at his best and show us what the team is really capable of. He will make RSmith better at centre playing outside him. He makes JMK better at hooker as he gives him a target to pass to, someone demanding the ball on the important plays.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why would he be angry about losing a measly 500k when he's already received $2 million for the past two seasons to his superannuation fund as a gift from Des?

It had been two weeks since our last Foran story so it must have been hard for him during this crisis to survive without the attention that he craves so badly.

Hopefully whenever the comp starts back up and Foran is rushed back into the team before he gets injured again shortly after, it's Wakeham that partners him and not Lewis.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.... So he is open to taking pay cuts, I wonder if he will take a pay cut next year when it comes to contract negotiations?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't care.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess he can learn to live a lot less then 500k if he wants to play next year considering he loves the game known him he will sign for manly on peanuts to play under hasler

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You gotta feel sorry for the bloke.

He slugged it out all this time to get the big third year back loaded payday and this happens.

Hopefully the club can be a bit generous in a 12 month extension. Least they can do if they have a heart
Hi Nasheed. That will depend on how he plays if the game is resurrected this year.
We'd need more than a handful of games from him, without any breakdowns or minor injuries, before committing to a five eighth who has the potential to go missing for 80% of the season, and tie up a sizable chunk of the salary cap.
If there is no NRL this year, do we take the risk next year with a new contract? He was supposed to be fully fit for the NZ test, and look what happened.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would he be angry about losing a measly 500k when he's already received $2 million for the past two seasons to his superannuation fund as a gift from Des?

It had been two weeks since our last Foran story so it must have been hard for him during this crisis to survive without the attention that he craves so badly.

Hopefully whenever the comp starts back up and Foran is rushed back into the team before he gets injured again shortly after, it's Wakeham that partners him and not Lewis.
Cmon dawg.and @Chris Harding,
If someone said to you you'll get a million after three years of working then something happens and the rugs pulled under yiud be pissed too.

this hatred of Foran has got to stop. I will not tolerate it any more and any future kennellers who do are on notice.
Remember. This guys only crime is getting injured after giving us 110 percent on the field. That's all. He's not like Matt Orford in 2010 who rocked up for a paycheque. He just gets wounded in battle giving us his all. Don't celebrate his losing money. Once he retires hes useless with no skills.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Next year is next year, it’s what he does this year that matters. If he plays the rest of the season I’m confident we make the finals, that’s how much difference he makes. He turns our suspect halves into one of the league’s best, hopefully he can stay on the field, play at his best and show us what the team is really capable of. He will make RSmith better at centre playing outside him. He makes JMK better at hooker as he gives him a target to pass to, someone demanding the ball on the important plays.

Go Dogs
He is like a high performance car with a faulty turbocharger. While it holds together, you're the best car on the circuit. But it has a history of blowing up just when you need it, and leaving you last in the race.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cmon dawg.and @Chris Harding,
If someone said to you you'll get a million after three years of working then something happens and the rugs pulled under yiud be pissed too.

this hatred of Foran has got to stop. I will not tolerate it any more and any future kennellers who do are on notice.
Remember. This guys only crime is getting injured after giving us 110 percent on the field. That's all. He's not like Matt Orford in 2010 who rocked up for a paycheque. He just gets wounded in battle giving us his all. Don't celebrate his losing money. Once he retires hes useless with no skills.
Hey, Nasheed - you have misread my comment. I'm not hating on Foran. I understand his commitment and dedication to the game - and I salute his talent.

As I've just replied to Twin Turbo, he is like a delicate machine - and has been so for two seasons, and possible a third. My concerns are for the team, where we put too much faith in Foran, only to see him sidelined by injury and rookies are left to fill the void; then cop abuse for failing to perform like him.

This is a commercial decision by the club - do they invest in a player who can put us into the top four, but runs a very high risk of physical failure early in the season? His track record for injury suggests that the club would need to see the results on field before committing to another season. It's not personal; it's business.

Look at it this way - would we be chasing Foran if he was with another club, and his contract was up for negotiation at the end of the year; given his history of injuries?

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Does that mean we don't get cap relief. Not that the season is suspended but foz was meant to miss a certain amount of games. He is ready to play now. So we don't get the 350k or only 150k.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"The Dogs cannot negotiate with any players, but know they will need to fill those vacancies, most likely with development players, should the competition resume. "

Umm Why??

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The Dogs cannot negotiate with any players, but know they will need to fill those vacancies, most likely with development players, should the competition resume. "

Umm Why??
Because no one is working I guess all the staff are stood down.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does that mean we don't get cap relief. Not that the season is suspended but foz was meant to miss a certain amount of games. He is ready to play now. So we don't get the 350k or only 150k.
There won’t be any compensation now.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be angry if I wasn't going to be earning anything next year

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Get used to it Foz you'll be getting a further pay cut next year wherever that may be.