Opinion Who else thinks the Bulldogs are a top8 team for 2021?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I go into every year expecting it, I know that’s stupid in recent years but I can’t help but hope we do it every year. In the past you can lose more games than you win and still get 7th or 8th spot.
So do i

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we are all being a bit tough on Lewis, Tbaz obviously sees potential there, With this new coaching & conditioning team and now a few quality players around him & JMK, Katoa, Meanie, DWZ, Okunbur and Wakem we may see these guys start to gain a bit of confidence and surprise us, and if not the days of Pay & SG selection & coaching are over, if they don't perform their gone. Time will tell.
Agree, i think Lewis has potential and tbarret might be able to help him improve his attack
Meaney definitely has potential

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need another half ( Burton ); Genuine Hooker (H Grant) and some depth to our centres. Then yes top 8 comfortably
I don’t think we need Burton to make the 8 or go well next year.
an experienced no. 9 would definitely help

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we are all being a bit tough on Lewis, Tbaz obviously sees potential there, With this new coaching & conditioning team and now a few quality players around him & JMK, Katoa, Meanie, DWZ, Okunbur and Wakem we may see these guys start to gain a bit of confidence and surprise us, and if not the days of Pay & SG selection & coaching are over, if they don't perform their gone. Time will tell.
I dont think he sees potential at all tbh. I think he knew he was stuck with him for next year, but he already admitted he wanted Flanagan for 22, we got him early. He wants Burton for 22 but is hoping to get him early.

How does that show Lewis that he sees something in him?

Lewis is God awful, and Barretts recruitment suggests he thinks the same.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unless we get Burton and I think a X factor out wide I don’t think so.
Tough without a top line dummy half also.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are far from being a top 8 side. Our forward pack still sucks and we still have an average hooker and fullback.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trent Barret is bringing a whole new coaching team which looks impressive, plus the former all blacks coach (forgot his name).
We've signed Kyle Flanagan who I think has so much potential, he's a genuine half back and a great goal kicker.
Jack Hetherington is a genuine intimidator, Corey Waddell is a strong runner of the ball. Cotric is a really good strong winger/centre.
And we've already got some good existing players and our team as we've seen over the last couple of years plays with a lot of heart and spirit.
I think we're definitely top 8 and I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the form teams next season.

If we don't sign Burton I'd like to see lewis play 6 and play as a running 5/8. Ogden and Thompson as our starting props, and To'omago, Hethrington, Napa as bench players.
All depends on how we start the season. I expect a bit of settling in, but early wins are important if we are to build confidence and form a team with a winning attitude.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For sure. If Baz can get even another 10% out of our whole team then we can definitely win another 3 or 4 of the games we lost by just a few points last year. And that is even with last years team. But so far we have added Flanagan, Cotric, Hetherington and Waddell. With these additions im certain we can win the extra 3 or 4 games. We are also a very good chance of picking up Burton, and with him im certain we can make the 8!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will take the first month or so of the season for Baz's coaching style and all the new players to get on the same page but we can definitely make it. Every season there are two or three average teams that sneak into the top 8. There's no reason we can't make it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would love to see it but I think our roster still has too many holes in it. Hooker is a huge problem and we might be a prop short. Experience in the spine is also going to be an issue. We will be competitive but the 8 is a step too far unless we get a few more pieces before kick off.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure. If Baz can get even another 10% out of our whole team then we can definitely win another 3 or 4 of the games we lost by just a few points last year. And that is even with last years team. But so far we have added Flanagan, Cotric, Hetherington and Waddell. With these additions im certain we can win the extra 3 or 4 games. We are also a very good chance of picking up Burton, and with him im certain we can make the 8!!!
Just so everyone knows an extra three or four wins this year would have resulted in us finishing fourteenth, just above the cowboys.
With our for and against we would have needed an extra eight wins to edge out the shit house sharks to sneak into eighth position. There is some perspective..

If we sign D. Clarke or H.Grant top eight is feasible. If not I think Dogs will be in for another not so good year.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Top 6 if we land Burton.

Especially with a hooker or if Baz's Wakeham at 9 experiment works.

I know it's ultra optimistic but I haven't been optimistic since 2015.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are far from being a top 8 side. Our forward pack still sucks and we still have an average hooker and fullback.
Call me blue eyed, but Thomson, Jackson, Elliot, RFM, Ogden, Toomaga, Napa, Hetherington, Stimson, Waddell and Doorey is not a shit pack. Sure there are better packs in the NRLol, but there is some quality in ours too.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With our current roster, no, we'll be a lot more competitive but we're still 2 or 3 quality players away from the 8.
If we sign Burton for next year we're fringe 8.
If Cam Smith plays on and we get Harry Grant and Burton, we sneak into the 8.
If we get really lucky and manage to sign a quality middle and centre as well as Grant and Burton, than we make the 8 and are a genuine threat.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As our top 30 squad stands? No.
If we snag at least Burton? A definite chance.
If we get Burton and/or Fox? I would say a strong chance
If we get Burton, BSmith/HGrant and Fox? I would put money on top 4.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows an extra three or four wins this year would have resulted in us finishing fourteenth, just above the cowboys.
With our for and against we would have needed an extra eight wins to edge out the shit house sharks to sneak into eighth position. There is some perspective..

If we sign D. Clarke or H.Grant top eight is feasible. If not I think Dogs will be in for another not so good year.
Another 3 or 4 wins also means 3 or 4 losses to other teams. Its not just this years final ladder with us 3 or 4 wins further up.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With our current roster, no, we'll be a lot more competitive but we're still 2 or 3 quality players away from the 8.
If we sign Burton for next year we're fringe 8.
If Cam Smith plays on and we get Harry Grant and Burton, we sneak into the 8.
If we get really lucky and manage to sign a quality middle and centre as well as Grant and Burton, than we make the 8 and are a genuine threat.
If we pick up Grant and Burton we are a good chance of top 4.