Which 4 -5 players would make us a serious contender ?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they don't send emails to their members pledging for support on season tickets.
They have private funding they are fine, unlike us from the surface and if perception on signals coming from the top
DFafita, why the hell would we have to offer $200k more than the Titans, they may not even survive 2020, he would have zero job security there, they have next to zero infrastructure and no chance of a premiership for at least 5 years.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well they don't send emails to their members pledging for support on season tickets.
They have private funding they are fine, unlike us from the surface and if perception on signals coming from the top
They're more of an attraction than us for 2021 at least. As long as they offer the same amount imo he'd rather go there as they're expected to do better (this is if he made he decision right now, as we've only recruited Luke Thompson) and have the better playing roster. They also have a better coach which is the icing on the cake. The reason we'd have to offer an extra 200k is if the Broncos want to re-sign Fifita for 800k and the Tigers offered 1m, if Fifita is considering the offer (or another offer from another Sydney rival for 1m) we're going to have to throw in at least an extra 200k for him to even consider us which means we're already up to 1.2m before Broncos or Tigers (or whatever rival club) up their amount to keep or sign him. Unless it's just the Broncos and us (unrealistic to think) we don't have a chance to sign him for 1m imo. That means we're paying overs on overs which is where we have to understand it's probably not worth it at that stage.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know, but I fully believe they're on more based on numerous bits of information that are available to us.
fair enough. I think opportunity to play first grade would also be an enticing factor for some that have come over. We haven’t had huge money to spend in this pay period. From what he’s shown I don’t think he’s a long term solution but it is what it is.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%
They're more of an attraction than us for 2021 at least. As long as they offer the same amount imo he'd rather go there as they're expected to do better (this is if he made he decision right now, as we've only recruited Luke Thompson) and have the better playing roster. They also have a better coach which is the icing on the cake. The reason we'd have to offer an extra 200k is if the Broncos want to re-sign Fifita for 800k and the Tigers offered 1m, if Fifita is considering the offer (or another offer from another Sydney rival for 1m) we're going to have to throw in at least an extra 200k for him to even consider us which means we're already up to 1.2m before Broncos or Tigers (or whatever rival club) up their amount to keep or sign him. Unless it's just the Broncos and us (unrealistic to think) we don't have a chance to sign him for 1m imo. That means we're paying overs on overs which is where we have to understand it's probably not worth it at that stage.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And that’s the key difference

We look at the market and say ‘nobody available’

The likes of Roosters,Broncos and Souths look at their roster and think ‘who do we need’

Then they get their man regardless of the contract they currently have, they make it happen

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cotric (gun centre if he gets back there)
Flegler (beast with footwork)
B.Smith (he has an option to leave if Cam Smith plays on next season, offer the boy a big deal)
L.Martin (to replace CHN)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And that’s the key difference

We look at the market and say ‘nobody available’

The likes of Roosters,Broncos and Souths look at their roster and think ‘who do we need’

Then they get their man regardless of the contract they currently have, they make it happen
That's a fair point looking on the surface.

But the reality is that it's extremely hard to attract anyone to us with the current stated of our club. It's a really a fine balance atm. We spend big but spend wrong then we're in an even worse position than before. We'll see how it all goes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I like it.

Only problem is Smith (2023), Staggs (2022) and Flegler (2022) aren't off contract and there is nothing out there suggesting they will want to move early (two of them recently re-signed).

Flegler would be a good pick up for 2022 but he's already on a big contract at the Broncos (rumoured 600k) which suggests he's going to be given a bigger role shortly and he's apart of their future moving forward.

I agree Flanagan is the coach we should be going after just looking at coaching ability. Unless we could get Bellamy, Flanagan is the best option.
I think Smith's dad commented on Facebook last night that he has an option to leave the storm if Cam plays in 2021. Said he won't be a lock and that he will be hooker wether it be at Melbourne or elsewhere. May have been on clarkeys page

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Smith's dad commented on Facebook last night that he has an option to leave the storm if Smith plays in 2021. Said he won't be a lock and that he will be hooker wether it be at Melbourne or elsewhere. May have been on clarkeys page
Nice. Smith plays on

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting. Brandon Smith would be the ultimate player to build the club around if this becomes possible.

Malla

Reaction score
Dunno about Brandon. He comes across as a loose cannon. Great player, but if he is in the wrong system/culture it could go anywhere with him. Unfortunately for us, we don't have the best culture or senior playing group to be able to deal with that. If he wants a long career he should stay at the Storm and I expect him to.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
realistically the only broncos player the dogs are a good chance of getting is milford

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from the team round 2...add foran Rapana addo-Carr thompson and B. Smith we are top 4

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
from the team round 2...add foran Rapana addo-Carr thompson and B. Smith we are top 4
Why would you go out and buy two wingers when we arguably don't even need to buy one? Lol

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are in desperate need for someone like Bennett as a coaching mentor / coordinator / assistant.
If possible we should sign...
1 Milford
3 Cotric
9 B. Smith or and J. Hastings
8 Flegler
13 D. Fifita
If we get Rapana priorities will shift.
For this to happen there has to be a major clear out.
We need to rule with our heads not hearts !!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
What do we know ?

We recently re-signed DWZ long term on fullback money it seems but he's not reliable enough under bombs and he lacks the passing game to be a top fullback so he needs to go back to wing like it or lump it. He shouldn't complain too much if he's getting "the salary" of a fullback.

Lewis - hasn't really improved in attack during the off season it seems. We're never going to be a top team while he's one of our halves. Only worth keeping if he could cut it at centre or hooker but as we've seen with JMK, manufactured hookers don't seem to work too well.

JMK - I know that he missed pre-season but his first 2 games this year were still a worry. No running game at all. Still big doubts about his long term future as our No9. Katoa could be okay but he was only average at the Panthers so we probably need to strengthen here. We probably need to chase Jake Friend who still has a few more years left in him at age 30. Either that or we offer ridiculous money for Tedesco and Keary and when the Roosters pay overs to keep them (which they will) we snatch Verrills.

Will Hopoate and Josh Jackson we recently re-signed long term

Aiden Tolman offers absolutely nothing in attack. Whenever he gets the ball even 1 - 5 metres out from the tryline you immediately know there's absolutely ZERO chance of him scoring a try or getting an offload. From anywhere on the field you know he's ZERO chance of making decent metres or getting a quick play the ball. Every time he touches the ball it's just a wasted opportunity / wasted tackle basically. He's not dominant in defence either. He might clean up a bit in defence but we have Jacko for that. As we saw in the Cowboys game this year we need forwards who can make effective "dominant" tackles. Surely Tolman has to go and it will free up decent coin too.

On the open market there's no standout spine players available unfortunately. Scott Drinkwater may be worth pursuing though - he can play both fullback and in the halves. He was player of the tournament at the Nines remember so he definitely has some attacking spark. I didn't see much of the Nines though so I haven't seen enough of him to think he could be our long term standout fullback so at this stage I'd be happy to see Meaney given a bit more time at fullback. He's very reliable under high kicks and fast. Just needs to get involved more. Unsure about his passing game too. Hopa has a good passing game but a bit too slow for a fullback. Averillo is a potential fullback option also I think.

Reimis - I don't think he's a real centre. That game against the Dragons a couple of years ago showed he was potentially a superstar WINGER but he's been very quiet ever since. Pay was an idiot by splitting him and Holland. Maybe Reimis is just suffering because he doesn't get decent ball and that leads me to worry if we bought JAC he could be wasted just the same (as B. Moz was in many games also). Maybe we're better off going with a centre who can create something like Mitchell ?

Foran we can extend for cheap if we want. He'll definitely take a big pay cut. He's already stated that. He's still a top player IF he can stay on the field that is. Averillo is a potential replacement if he gets injured again and Cogger. Wakeham has a bit more natural flair than Cogger I think and we desperately need points so I'd have him paired with Foran.

So if Meaney is fullback, DWZ one wing, Hopa one centre, Foran and Wakeham in the halves (with Cogger and Averillo as back ups) we need a centre or if we sack Reimis a centre and a winger. Cotric is a decent option but I don't know if he can create tries like we need. I'd still consider Mitchell if we could get him for a bit more than what the Bunnies want to pay him as I think he'd offer a bit more creativity (something from nothing - as we desperately need). Apparently Souths want to pay him less than his option agreed rate next season (was 800K) so he's likely to become a free agent.

Our number one target though as a marquee player and we really do need / deserve one at least one - a player who can create tries from nothing consistently from ANYWHERE on the field - a player who will bring confidence and attract other good players to our club and attract sponsors in future has to be DAVID FIFITA. If we are to become a real contender I believe this guy is a MUST. Potentially the best forward in the game (close to that now). Potentially the best player in the world. Already rated the best young player ever seen by Andrew Voss and Peter Mullholland. Broncos aren't offering him much and even the Titans are reportedly only offering him a little bit more. We seriously need to make him an offer "too good to refuse: whatever that is - I guess 100-200K a year more than the Titans.

Also we need to get CHN back after he's done a 12 month suspension and we should get him on the cheap since he helped cost us a sponsor. He's one of the most creative edge forwards in the game. Him and Fifita together would be amazing.

So the team I would like to see in 2021 would be something like the one below with either Flanagan or Bennett as coach. I feel sorry for Pay as he inherited a shit sandwich but the game against the Cowboys this year demonstrated that he can't even motivate the players in defence obviously - and he can't attract shit (as in good players). Offer him assistant coach. He won't get any better offers anywhere else in Australia anyway.

1 Nick Meaney / Jake Averillo (Scott Drinkwater)
2 DWZ
3 Will Hopoate
4 Latrell Mitchell / Nick Cotric
5 JAC (Reimis Smith)
6 Kieran Foran / Jake Averillo (Scott Drinkwater)
7 Brandon Wakeham
8 Dylan Napa
9 Jake Friend
10 Luke Thompson
11 CHN
12 David Fifita
13 Josh Jackson

14 Renouf Toomaga
15 RFM
16 Dean Britt
17 Adam Elliott / Ofahiki Ogden
A bit late to get on the drinkwater train. He just moved clubs and is going well, likely to be kept.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nice. Smith plays on
Just also read back on this same Facebook post that Madge/Tigers are keen as to get him, Brandon's dad said to this guy that you don't know how close tigers came to nabbing him before he commited to storm... We offer a big deal he'd be ours