Which 4 -5 players would make us a serious contender ?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just also read back on this same Facebook post that Madge/Tigers are keen as to get him, Brandon's dad said to this guy that you don't know how close tigers came to nabbing him before he commited to storm... We offer a big deal he'd be ours
But ... we signed a hooker in the preseason. And we haven't even tried to see if he could fill in the position. Would we go out for a hooker now? I think we need one, but would the club make that their priority?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
But ... we signed a hooker in the preseason. And we haven't even tried to see if he could fill in the position. Would we go out for a hooker now? I think we need one, but would the club make that their priority?
It is a massive priority. Katoa was the third string hooker at the Panthers (before they signed Koroisau). He should be given a chance but he almost certainly isn't the answer moving forward. Hooker and left centre are probably the positions we need to address the most.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is a massive priority. Katoa was the third string hooker at the Panthers (before they signed Koroisau). He should be given a chance but he almost certainly isn't the answer moving forward. Hooker and left centre are probably the positions we need to address the most.
Yes. I think we can all see we need a hooker. But would the club see it that way? Especially when Katoa hasn't even been given a chance to show what he's worth. Though I guess, as you said, he could be simply the backup and other hookers we currently have are let go?

I'd argue that 5/8 or half is the most important position to address atm though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes. I think we can all see we need a hooker. But would the club see it that way? Especially when Katoa hasn't even been given a chance to show what he's worth. Though I guess, as you said, he could be simply the backup and other hookers we currently have are let go?

I'd argue that 5/8 or half is the most important position to address atm though.
Katoa wasn't the hooker we wanted (it was Koroisau and plenty of other hookers before that) and he actually contacted us/Pay to sign him -desperate. I think JMK will be our utility moving forward. That's the best role for him (it might of been five-eighth but I think we've ruined that with persisting with him at hooker for so long).

The problem with five-eighth or halfback is there isn't much available. Besides Milford I find it hard to give you a name. I think if we're not able to get Milford it's almost better to just re-sign Foran on a massively reduced deal or use within with Averillo, Lewis or Cogger until something is available. I don't mind giving Wakeham an extra year or two to improve and develop into a first grade halfback (again, when considering the options available).

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
4 players is not enough for us to win the title unless we are talking unrealistic things like superman

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If hooker isn't a priority then everyone currently involved in recruitment needs to be sacked.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hooker is the tip of the spear for attack ajd defense.

Our current options just dont cut it.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the hooker handles the ball more than any other player on the field, having a good hooker one that can read the game, is smart, good passing, short kicking game, has a running game when needed is a priority , jmk is a dud, lewis at hooker is a big no

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hooker is the tip of the spear for attack ajd defense.

Our current options just dont cut it.
We should've given Cogger a crack if we weren't going to recruit anyone of note, offensively I think he could offer a lot, nippy enough, has the vision and can pass a ball...defence would obviously be an issue but it's not as if he's scared and couldn't improve over time and became more conditioned to the role. I'd rather see us working on something like that and failing than persisting with JMK and going absolutely no where.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should've given Cogger a crack if we weren't going to recruit anyone of note, offensively I think he could offer a lot, nippy enough, has the vision and can pass a ball...defence would obviously be an issue but it's not as if he's scared and couldn't improve over time and became more conditioned to the role. I'd rather see us working on something like that and failing than persisting with JMK and going absolutely no where.
I have always said why not try cogger there. He has footy brains.

And who knows. He might be better defending close to the ruck (usually two or three in a tackle) rather than out wide where its usually defending againts a faster attacker who has alot more momentum, one on one)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have always said why not try cogger there. He has footy brains.

And who knows. He might be better defending close to the ruck (usually two or three in a tackle) rather than out wide where its usually defending againts a faster attacker who has alot more momentum, one on one)
All possibly true, probably never going to happen under Pay.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d probably have a look at Welch and what money he’s after. Tolman isn’t getting younger.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
4 players is not enough for us to win the title unless we are talking unrealistic things like superman
First step is top eight. I really don't think we're going to be a premiership threat until 2024 (anything is possible, just I wouldn't be expecting it). That's when we're able to renegotiate contracts (mainly those of players we payed overs for - our 2021 recruits) and add a couple more top players to the squad for what they're worth.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If hooker isn't a priority then everyone currently involved in recruitment needs to be sacked.
Agree. But why sign Katoa then?

I'd actually say we need to solve our halves problem first and foremost. Hooker is probably second in line though maybe even a centre before that?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I'd actually say we need to solve our halves problem first and foremost. Hooker is probably second in line though maybe even a centre before that?
We have two young talented halves and there's absolutely nothing available, as I've said before I'm more than happy to go with them. Hooker currently has both Friend and Mahoney unsigned for next season while we have absolute shit available at the club. Why did we sign Katoa? Because we bottled the Api deal.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's the back up to the back up hooker and his contract reflects that. If he plays to his potential then he might just earn a better contract and be promoted to the back up hooker position. Consider it half a step up from a development player, it's just not worth wasting time on the subject, it is the least of our problems.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And that’s the key difference

We look at the market and say ‘nobody available’

The likes of Roosters,Broncos and Souths look at their roster and think ‘who do we need’

Then they get their man regardless of the contract they currently have, they make it happen
This is a key point.. I dont know that we (the club) dont think this way, but it certainly is how a winner thinks. You dont wait for it to come to you, you go and get it.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's the back up to the back up hooker and his contract reflects that. If he plays to his potential then he might just earn a better contract and be promoted to the back up hooker position. Consider it half a step up from a development player, it's just not worth wasting time on the subject, it is the least of our problems.

Go Dogs
Agree with that. And hope the club agrees with you also ;)