Which 4 -5 players would make us a serious contender ?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have two young talented halves and there's absolutely nothing available, as I've said before I'm more than happy to go with them. Hooker currently has both Friend and Mahoney unsigned for next season while we have absolute shit available at the club. Why did we sign Katoa? Because we bottled the Api deal.
NO one available? What happened to all of the talk on here about seeing a need and doing everything in our power to make a signing happen. Contracts mean nothing these days, right? ;)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
NO one available? What happened to all of the talk on here about seeing a need and doing everything in our power to make a signing happen. Contracts mean nothing these days, right? ;)
Yh I'm sure we will tempt a top half to break contract early and join us.. :tearsofjoy:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have a few good prospects for the halves now. Between Cogger, Averillo, Wakeham, Lewis and Foran (if he's extended) we should be able to find a winning combination. JMK has potential and hopefully by seasons end is nailing the passing game and reading the opposition defensive weakness. They're both crucial, his occasional dh runs are good and because he limits them, generally they take the opposition by surprise. If he adds a kicking game it's even better, but dummy half running and kicking in general play reliably are the icing on the cake with hookers. But if we sign a gun hooker I wouldn't complain.

Our centres aren't brilliant. Hoppa is reliable with periods when he offers flair. Smith is a work in progress that might go either way. He has the necessary size and pace to excel, but the instincts required to judge his best positioning on attacking plays could let him down. Harper might have the skills but needs to prove it if he gets a shot. But all up we aren't oozing class there based on current performance and our first choice line up. At least one quality centre would be a great acquisition.

DWZ was great at the back last year. But his handling of kicks was on par with Okunbors worst weeks to open our season. If that doesn't improve I'd think about shifting him to the centres. Kick reception is Meaneys strength and he's possibly added enough size to cope with playing in the middle better. If dwz doesn't get his catching in order I'd push Meaney into the 1. He may not be the long term solution, but I think he might be better there now that he's filled out a bit. But if another great prospect comes into the radar I wouldn't mind having depth for the fullback role.

The forward pack might shine if the hooking department gets pass selection and timing right. The addition of Thompson will hopefully provide some highlights. He's big and quick with a good workrate and footwork. Napa hasn't shown the aggression I'd hoped for regularly, but he's still a quality prop. Tolman is the reliable workhorse and largely under rated imo. Ogden is a decent prospect but needs to work on his lateral movement in defence. And we have a few others that can move between prop and second row. If we signed another prop I'd want an aggressive one that could be used off the bench to end the halves well and have a stint in the opening stage of the second half. Our second row is packed with prospectively good talent. Losing CHN was a nuisance but not the end of the world. If we recruit for the second row it would have to be a game breaker to make any difference. And I'd rather not spend huge money there.

I'd probably be searching to pick up the quality at centre, wing, fullback, hooker. But they're all in demand positions. I'm generally ok with us signing up the occasional star. But I'd love to see the club unearth overlooked talent. Hopefully they're using this downtime to good affect with bringing the right players in.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cotric at centre
Thompson at prop
Brandon smith at hooker
Fifita at second row

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the time we re-signed DWZ he was our regular fullback and had been performing well. Remember when Mitchell started talking about wanting to play fullback for us that's when we pulled out of negotiations with him (because we already had re-signed who we considered to be our fullback).
Barba was shaky under the high ball when he started his first grade career, but he developed with a bit of training. The Bunnies are not happy with the work they've had out of Mitchell - I reckon he would become our next T-Rex if we took him on.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Barba was shaky under the high ball when he started his first grade career, but he developed with a bit of training. The Bunnies are not happy with the work they've had out of Mitchell - I reckon he would become our next T-Rex if we took him on.
Barba always had the full skillset though. DWZ is just a winger who runs hard.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should've given Cogger a crack if we weren't going to recruit anyone of note, offensively I think he could offer a lot, nippy enough, has the vision and can pass a ball...defence would obviously be an issue but it's not as if he's scared and couldn't improve over time and became more conditioned to the role. I'd rather see us working on something like that and failing than persisting with JMK and going absolutely no where.
Its a no from me Cogger is too much of a turnstile he misses so many tackles.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Milford is fucking shit!
I can't believe some people on here want this lazy ass.
He is not smart enough for halfback and he lost his speed since leaving Canberra and bulked up at the Broncos.
Its a massive no from me!

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
give topine a go in 1st grade this year

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Milford is fucking shit!
He is not smart enough for halfback and he lost his speed since leaving Canberra and bulked up at the Broncos.
milford could be another barba for us thats a big COULD

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Milford is fucking shit!
We'd be buying him as a five-eighth or fullback but only if we believe in Wakeham developing. Otherwise it'll work out similar to the Broncos. If Milford doesn't have to worry about organising (more so being the main guy) and can just focus on running and playing what's in front of him with his pace there is so much needed x-factor that we're missing right there. Otherwise we keep Foran. Not confident running with three of our other halves and no one else available.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
milford could be another barba for us thats a big COULD
Like have one good season then become a massive liability and disruptive influence on the team due to inflated ego and poor behaviour outside of the game?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We'd be buying him as a five-eighth or fullback but only if we believe in Wakeham developing. Otherwise it'll work out similar to the Broncos. If Milford doesn't have to worry about organising (more so being the main guy) and can just focus on running and playing what's in front of him with his pace there is so much needed x-factor that we're missing right there. Otherwise we keep Foran. Not confident running with three of our other halves and no one else available.
Milford doesn't get involved enough he is too lazy!
A half/five-eighth should want the ball at least 3 times in every set.
He is not as fast as he use to be....at fullback he has defensive issues and wouldn't get involved enough.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
11. J Jackson

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Its a no from me Cogger is too much of a turnstile he misses so many tackles.
It's a by product of being a smaller man on the edge. He never arm grabs and always attempts to take his man front on though, so perhaps behind in the middle and gang tackling could negate his only weakness

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wishful thinking...
According to the majority and the rumours this will be our team 2021 :-)
1 milford
2 dwz
3 cotric
4 hopoate
5 smith
6 foran if fit & affordable
7 wakeham
8 thompson
9 smith / jmk
10 napa / to'omaga
11 jackson / brit
12 elliott / stimpson
13 fifita / rfm
I say...the chooks, gronkos, cowgirls, wobbits and shitstorm can do it...why can't we ???