What are we going to do if we miss out on B.Smith ? (reportedly close to signing with Titans)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is why it was imperative to sign one of Grant, Robson or Starling on the cheap when we had the chance. Now the market for hookers has gotten overpriced and too competitive.. All of these years after Cook and Ennis leaving and we still haven't found a suitable replacement.

If we sign a high calibre hooker, we can be premiership contenders a year or two after Burton and Fox arrive. It's the one piece of the puzzle that is missing.

I assumed Smith would head to the Titans or Warriors.. McInness would be solid short term but it's no huge loss if he doesn't come. Clark has to be the best option but Warrington show no interest in letting him go and we don't know if he wants to come to the NRL..

Hopefully a young hooker stands out this season or becomes available and we can make a play for them. And hopefully JMK and Katoa show more consistency and composure this year under Barrett until we find a long term solution.

Last edited:

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one even knew Harry Grant at the beginning of last season. Kyle Flannigan was also an unknown 2 years ago. We don't need to knee jerk into a player that is demanding huge coin if we got the right scouts in place. I like what we have bought so far, the clean out is in motion with 14 more getting flushed at the end of this year. I can honestly say our game play isn't going to be robotic or under 12 block plays under Barrett which is such a fucking relief.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one even knew Harry Grant at the beginning of last season. Kyle Flannigan was also an unknown 2 years ago. We don't need to knee jerk into a player that is demanding huge coin if we got the right scouts in place. I like what we have bought so far, the clean out is in motion with 14 more getting flushed at the end of this year. I can honestly say our game play isn't going to be robotic or under 12 block plays under Barrett which is such a fucking relief.
Well said!

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I’ve been hearing we are not in talks with a hooker we are in talks with a superstar prop

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Brandon smith is close to signing with the Titans that would suggest that cam smith has decided to retire and Harry grant will be locked in with melb long term.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I’ve been hearing we are not in talks with a hooker we are in talks with a superstar prop
Can you please name the prop ? Who is even available ? Please send me a private message if you prefer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol we've known about Grant for years.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And that JMK and Katoa are both training the house down
As much as I find JMK a frustrating and inconsistent player, I'm expecting him to improve a lot under Barrett this season. If he can just play with more composure and awareness while having better timing of when to run or not, then he could be a dangerous attacking hooker. It's easier said than done though and hopefully Barrett can work some magic on him..

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I find JMK a frustrating and inconsistent player, I'm expecting him to improve a lot under Barrett this season. If he can just play with more composure and awareness while having better timing of when to run or not, then he could be a dangerous attacking hooker. It's easier said than done though and hopefully Barrett can work some magic on him..
I would also add that he needs to work on his kicking as well. If we have only Flange as a regular kicking option it will be much easier for opponents to pressure him/us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would also add that he needs to work on his kicking as well. If we have only Flange as a regular kicking option it will be much easier for opponents to pressure him/us.
That's a good point. With neither Allen nor Averillo having much of a long kicking game, then a lot of pressure will be on Flanagan to do most of the kicking until Burton arrives.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JMK & Kotoa did not seem to have the natural instincts of an great no 9. However have to acknowledge that the Dogs game plan over the past few years did not include No 9 as pivotal to our attack. Rather we had a plan of 4 to 5 settlers & occasional run from dummy half. For 2021 I think we go with what we have including Wakeham as an option. See how much improvement in our three current options ( or development players) while planning for any 2022.

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Cotter has a break out year then it will be interesting what the cows do with Robson who is on healthy money. Add that to a new coach looking to build his own team then their might be some shuffling.

Robson is a Illawarra boy just like Barrett too.
Cotter was only a few starts away from a break out year in 2020. It will be interesting to see how the cows manage to keep the better hooker Cotter on the bench behind Robson. Cotter would be my No.1 target, great talent.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Avo can short kick if he gets the gig at 5/8.
It amazes me why in the past the coaching staff hadnt worked with some players on their short kicking game seeing as our attack in the red zone was so garbage or predictable with Lewis cross goal posts kick n hopes.
Its not rocket science to learn how to short kick a footy, jeez ive even seen Elliot do it.
Not talking set plays etc when kicking duties are pretty much the responsibility of the halves. More so he ad-lib stuff if its on or just trying to reap a repeat set, turning the screws etc.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
There are reports today that Brandon Smith is very close to signing with the Titans (he has family living there) and I just noticed the other post here on TK that we're not interested in McInnes plus if anyone was to get him away from the Dragons then Maguire has a big advantage.

If we miss out on Brandon it's going to be a massive dent to our chances of a top 4 finish in the next few seasons IMO. If we can't even get McInnes as the next option then things are looking even worse.

What's the situation with Daryl Clark does anyone know ? How long is he in contract for ? Does Barrett even rate him ?

Is Barrett hoping that Api can get out of his contract early with the Panthers ? I can't imagine Cleary letting him go early.

IF we end up with a very average hooker like those we have now or not much better I think we may as well improve our strike in the backs as much as possible (try to get an advantage over other teams somewhere at least) and go for Staggs and spend the money we were going to use for Smith on a strike edge forward like Angus Crichton. We should be able to afford a decent metre eating prop too if we shed some of the off contract players at the end of this season like Napa.

This year is a lean year for shopping... I’d expect a genuine hooker will surface by 2022. And is B Smith a genuine hooker anyway?... I’d say he’s a better lock