What are we going to do if we miss out on B.Smith ? (reportedly close to signing with Titans)

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No he hasn’t he played his junior football at Cronulla and spent time at South’s too. He had huge wraps in the under 20’s at the Sharks so I wonder why he has bounced around that many clubs?
Given his age if he came through Cronulla juniors(I am only going on your statement as I dont know his background) he would have emerged around the same time as the Brailey brothers who were earmarked as special from early on. This may have contributed to a blocked pathway at the gummies....dont know just speculating & putting 1 & 1 together..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Given his age if he came through Cronulla juniors(I am only going on your statement as I dont know his background) he would have emerged around the same time as the Brailey brothers who were earmarked as special from early on. This may have contributed to a blocked pathway at the gummies....dont know just speculating & putting 1 & 1 together..
Dietz played Aussie schoolboys in 2013 and J Brailey played in 2014 so there was definitely a log jam there. It just seems odd to me that he’s gone this long with out getting a shot at NRL. There’s the odd outlier like Cook but normally there is some kind of reason someone at 25 has been overlooked.

Hooker is such a vital position and there’s a shortage of good ones so you’d think he would have got a contract at club that needed one. Instead he’s ended up going to clubs with established hookers already there and stuck in reggies.

Brycycles94

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just give the guy a contract put him in reserve grade. How long do you think it will be untill Katoa or jmk mess up? There has been plenty of highly touted juniors that calved reserve grade and had a good resume that didn't kick on. There is juniors that that are shit in reserve grade and shine in first grade. Just have him as back up to the fuck ups and see how he goes once he gets a shot. Can't really be any worst than what we already have.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dietz played Aussie schoolboys in 2013 and J Brailey played in 2014 so there was definitely a log jam there. It just seems odd to me that he’s gone this long with out getting a shot at NRL. There’s the odd outlier like Cook but normally there is some kind of reason someone at 25 has been overlooked.

Hooker is such a vital position and there’s a shortage of good ones so you’d think he would have got a contract at club that needed one. Instead he’s ended up going to clubs with established hookers already there and stuck in reggies.
At least it proves he has pedigree if he was a schoolboy but he could also be a late bloomer who keeps improving. Look at the success of Cook, Cody Walker and Fogarty have had in recent years. Even Rhyse Martin there for a while.. All of them were mid twenties and older and all made an immediate impact in the NRL. Scouts and recruitment managers at every club get it wrong as often as they get it right. He could have easily been dismissed as too small or too old etc.

Sometimes guys just need a genuine chance or they need some hurdles along the way to help motivate them to take their game to another level. Also playing against men in NSW or Q Cup can also bring out the best in those players and give them confidence. Hopefully Deitz is a late bloomer like those listed above. If not, it's still a good story and full credit to him and others like him for persevering and never giving up on his dream..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least it proves he has pedigree if he was a schoolboy but he could also be a late bloomer who keeps improving. Look at the success of Cook, Cody Walker and Fogarty have had in recent years. Even Rhyse Martin there for a while.. All of them were mid twenties and older and all made an immediate impact in the NRL. Scouts and recruitment managers at every club get it wrong as often as they get it right. He could have easily been dismissed as too small or too old etc.

Sometimes guys just need a genuine chance or they need some hurdles along the way to help motivate them to take their game to another level. Also playing against men in NSW or Q Cup can also bring out the best in those players and give them confidence. Hopefully Deitz is a late bloomer like those listed above. If not, it's still a good story and full credit to him and others like him for persevering and never giving up on his dream..
Sometimes the young guys just don't have the application required to be a first grader regardless of their skills.. some just want to enjoy their youth and struggle with the requirements of being a pro athlete.. then they get to their mid 20's and realize it's now or never and give it a real shot.. I'm pretty sure walker and fogarty fit that mould..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sometimes the young guys just don't have the application required to be a first grader regardless of their skills.. some just want to enjoy their youth and struggle with the requirements of being a pro athlete.. then they get to their mid 20's and realize it's now or never and give it a real shot.. I'm pretty sure walker and fogarty fit that mould..
Definitely. Also sometimes these guys are given up on when they're 21 or 22 as clubs move on to the next big thing and then those players are often dismissed as damaged goods or not good enough. So players like Fogarty and Walker have to dominate Q Cup for a few seasons before they get another shot. Whereas a youngster might need one or two good games to get hyped up and then shortly after they might get written off themselves.

So it can bring out the best in those that have the right attitude and persevere, but it also highlights the flaws in a lot of development and scouting at many clubs..

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need him to be our future hooker, he just needs to be a stop gap for this year until we can find a gun hooker for 22. If he turns into our long term hooker then great but we just need him to be an option for this year and to provide some much needed competition for JMK and Kotoa. He's worth the risk. Give him Harding's vacant spot and leave the other spot open for Burton

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dietz has an NSWRL contract with us for this year. I don't believe that he is at close to an NRL level of fitness, so would need to time to achieve that to play meaningful minutes.

Go Dogs

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dietz has an NSWRL contract with us for this year. I don't believe that he is at close to an NRL level of fitness, so would need to time to achieve that to play meaningful minutes.

Go Dogs
What's the go with his contract though?

Can he play in the NRL if he's outside the 30? or we have to wait for a certain date to pass for that to happen (IIRC, there's some weird rule in play here)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the go with his contract though?
Can he play in the NRL if he's outside the 30? or we have to wait for a certain date to pass for that to happen (IIRC, there's some weird rule in play here)
We have spots available in the 30 plus we can exercise options, my view is he needs time to prove that he can play meaningful NRL quality minutes. I have seen him play a few times and like all of the part time players he looks to me like he would struggle with the pace and physicality of NRL for long minutes. If we take a risk with him it's not just that he gets paid enough to play fulltime he also gets access to the NRL level of training physio, recovery, dietician, etc. as well as the mental stuff that's essential these days.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With lower grades being cancelled last year we don't know who the best talent coming through is. Hopefully we can get the best young hooker in QLD Cup or NSW Cup

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have spots available in the 30 plus we can exercise options, my view is he needs time to prove that he can play meaningful NRL quality minutes. I have seen him play a few times and like all of the part time players he looks to me like he would struggle with the pace and physicality of NRL for long minutes. If we take a risk with him it's not just that he gets paid enough to play fulltime he also gets access to the NRL level of training physio, recovery, dietician, etc. as well as the mental stuff that's essential these days.

Go Dogs
I really dont think it is a risk, JMK has had a chance, Katoa and Deitz should get the chance now and hopefully Deitz will be what we are looking for.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't help but keep reading the title of this thread every time it comes up.

If we miss out on B.Smith it will be a massive catastrophe and we'll all need to slash our wrists because it will be the end of our club

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can't help but keep reading the title of this thread every time it comes up.

If we miss out on B.Smith it will be a massive catastrophe and we'll all need to slash our wrists because it will be the end of our club
1 wrist for Liverpool when Mbappe rejects us because we didn't qualify for Champions League, the other for the Bulldogs when Smith rejects us because we're not based in QLD.