'We'd love Matt on board': Barrett keen on Penrith ace

Malla

Reaction score
Fingers Ferguson also toured Belmore before signing with Parra. Players tour clubs facilities all the time when considering making a move to a new club, I wouldn't read too much into it.
Yeah this is true - can't take that as a positive.. i do know that doggies offer is the best one he is going to get tho - 400k a season and starting at his preferred position.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he toured on Friday why did he come back on Monday ? Am I missing something ?
The Monday thing was from a FB rumour so maybe they got the days mixed up...the old Chinese whispers thing

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not concerned - I supported the poor bastard when we were in a very rough spot. He did his best but was never the long term solution. I heard he’s knocked back help to get an assistant role somewhere in the NRL and only wants to be involved in lower grades moving forward. I know that means some will put shit on him about not being up to it etc but I wish the bloke well and am excited for our new chapter.
It's meant to be a joke mate...
On a serious note my respect for him never wavered and I never totally blamed him, it's a combination of 3 fails.
1 Failed by the previous board, as he was an inexperienced coach assigned to a very tough job without a mentor.
2 Failed by the Andersons a year in his contract by pushing for their son Ben to replace him.
3 Failed himself by refusing Justin Holbrook as an assistant coach.
Now it's water under the bridge, I hear he is a great bloke and like many true fans I too wish him all the best !!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's meant to be a joke mate...
On a serious note my respect for him never wavered and I never totally blamed him, it's a combination of 3 fails.
1 Failed by the previous board, as he was an inexperienced coach assigned to a very tough job without a mentor.
2 Failed by the Andersons a year in his contract by pushing for their son Ben to replace him.
3 Failed himself by refusing Justin Holbrook as an assistant coach.
Now it's water under the bridge, I hear he is a great bloke and like many true fans I too wish him all the best !!!
All good mate.

#1 Agree

#2 Never saw evidence of this despite various claims. Would’ve been a mistake though.

#3 Not sure I blame him for this (if true) as he would’ve known Holbrook would be gunning for his job and it wouldn’t have worked. Who says Holbrook would’ve taken an assistants job anyway? He wanted a head coach role. You’re saying he would’ve had that in 2020 had Pay not been extended a year? Not convinced...

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Roosters didn't sign Moses either.
The roosters had cronk and keary, he knew they were going to be contenders, Who'd we have mbye? Frawley? Haha i would of chose roosters aswell

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I know burton has had big wraps on him etc but has anyone seen him play in the halves atall grade or seen anything this kid really does. Genuine question as I’ve never seen him play myself

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guys I know burton has had big wraps on him etc but has anyone seen him play in the halves atall grade or seen anything this kid really does. Genuine question as I’ve never seen him play myself
He stood out as the dominant playmaker in the few games he played while Cleary was suspended.

He's a very big half who makes a lot of tackles and is a great runner. He has great vision and a good kicking game. He's the real deal and worthy of the hype unlike many others.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC will most likely now stay in Melboune for a season I can not disclose now !!!
One of the journos was saying that his manager had told him he would get him $800k next year so all of a sudden he played the homesick card. No clubs went anywhere near that figure so he goes back to Melbourne for 2021 and probably South’s in 2022

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All good mate.

#1 Agree

#2 Never saw evidence of this despite various claims. Would’ve been a mistake though.

#3 Not sure I blame him for this (if true) as he would’ve known Holbrook would be gunning for his job and it wouldn’t have worked. Who says Holbrook would’ve taken an assistants job anyway? He wanted a head coach role. You’re saying he would’ve had that in 2020 had Pay not been extended a year? Not convinced...
My source is very reliable mate
# 2 He had a personal confrontation with the person promoting the idea.
# 3 It is believed that he refused feeling his job was under threat, the writing was on the wall especially after Ben Anderson's move !

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My source is very reliable mate
# 2 He had a personal confrontation with the person promoting the idea.
# 3 It is believed that he refused feeling his job was under threat, the writing was on the wall especially after Ben Anderson's move !
Fair enough if your source is on the money.
Pretty unfair on Deano all-round.
I applaud him for conducting himself as he did and exiting gracefully, particularly given the pressure he’d been under and having to deal with white-anting too.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im surprised the media have not gone to Matt for a comment yet. I get its off season but hasn’t stopped them in the past

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
Yeah there’s a couple of wasted roster spots if we only have 2 left assuming the squad they have listed is correct.
Can’t change it all overnight but he’s definitely got the joint heading in the right direction , I reckon you’ll see a few boys cut before the June 30 deadline after he can watch em for a bit

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do you think there will be a decision from Burton before players get back next Monday?
Would be good. Then we could try to pry him over now rather than 12 months from now.