'We'd love Matt on board': Barrett keen on Penrith ace

Gizmo

Hero's r Zero's
Reaction score
By Christian Nicolussi
November 9, 2020 — 7.52pm

Trent Barrett wants to build his Canterbury team around Kyle Flanagan and is pushing for in-demand Penrith playmaker Matt Burton to be at Belmore for the start of the 2021 season.

Barrett officially started life at the Bulldogs on Monday and addressed his new-look coaching staff of David Furner, Craig Sandercock and David Tangata-Toa, as well as high-performance staff Dan Ferris and Luke Portese.

The entire playing group will assemble next Monday to be addressed by Barrett - and potentially a Zoom greeting from All Blacks legend Steve Hansen - before the work starts on turning the club around.

Fans are excited by Flanagan's signature, and Barrett has made it known he would love Burton to join him.

Burton, 20, has a year left on his Panthers deal but former Penrith assistant Barrett knows the youngster will struggle to play regular first grade while halves Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai are fit.
Penrith are prepared to play him in the centres or back row in a bid to keep him from signing elsewhere. They are also trying to re-sign Isaah Yeo, Luai and Stephen Crichton.
We've got two spots left. There will be a lot of moving parts in regards to recruitment.
Trent Barrett
"We'd love Matt on board here next year,'' Barrett told the Herald.
"He's only a young player but he's someone with a lot of ability and whose pathway is a bit blocked at Penrith.

"He'd certainly be handy. He needs to decide where he wants to be in 2022 and 2023 first.

"We've got two spots left. There will be a lot of moving parts in regards to recruitment.

"I'm looking forward to seeing what we have here. There are some players I don't know a lot about, and because there was no Canterbury Cup this year there are players who haven't played a lot of footy.''
Blake Green on Monday announced he would remain at Newcastle next year, which was a mutual decision reached between the five-eighth and Canterbury, and another excuse to up the ante when it comes to Burton.

Bulldogs fans are already impressed Barrett landed Flanagan, and you can only imagine their response should he convince Burton to switch clubs.
Barrett had watched Flanagan for a long time and was clearly pumped to work with the former Roosters half.

"Kyle is very important for us, he's a very good young player and someone we can build our team around for a long time,'' Barrett said.
"I'm very excited to get hold of him. The skill set is there and he ticks a lot of boxes.

"He's calm, a good kicker of the ball and a good organiser. He walked into a premiership team stuck between two internationals in Luke Keary and James Tedesco. It was never going to be easy for him but he did a great job and we're lucky to have him.''

The entire squad will listen to Barrett and his team's vision before some of the senior players resume the last of their holidays. Recruit Nick Cotric remains in NSW Origin camp while Raymond Faitala-Mariner is quarantining in New Zealand and will join next week's meet-and-greet remotely.

Meanwhile, Newcastle coach Adam O'Brien was grateful Green would hang around next year.

"Blake was massively influential in the short time he spent with us during 2020 and we could not be happier to welcome him back again for 2021," he said.

"His experience is invaluable, he is a natural leader with a brilliant rugby league brain, adding key ingredients to complement our existing roster.
"He will continue to play that role with our young halves and his combination with Mitchell Pearce will only continue to grow.''

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
His vision and influence will infect many others to join us which is something we have been missing with our last two coaches! Well done Trent, the enthusiasm you have brought in such a short time is infectious and very much welcome at our club, and from us diehard supporters!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully entices burton over.

It’s all been set with green gone.

Let’s hope so!

I like the two slots open comment. Burton and addo carr please!!!
Indeed! Just deduct from Greens salary and add it to Burtons salary simples!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 spots left, i thought we would possibly sign another 4 playrers, especially now green and possibly remis gone. its a bit concerning so hopefully burton and a hooker?
Yeah there’s a couple of wasted roster spots if we only have 2 left assuming the squad they have listed is correct.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really eager to see how this all plays out.. new coaches, staff, plus Steve Hansen. New recruits. How will the players who have been with us for a few years, how will they change, develop and improve. What will our attack look like? We have a few intimidators and I like the look of our forward pack. Be great to get Burton or an experienced hooker, or both!!

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope we don't pay overs for Burton. It won't sit well with Flanagan & others

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has mentioned “lots of moving parts” on more than one occasion. Looks like he really is gunning for JAC. Or hopefully it’s a smokescreen for a hooker

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
What else is he going to say? Of course he would take him if he could

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 spots left, i thought we would possibly sign another 4 playrers, especially now green and possibly remis gone. its a bit concerning so hopefully burton and a hooker?
The fact that he said there's a lot of moving parts suggests that we could sign more than 2 players while possibly moving/swapping players out.
Let's stay positive for the time being, the moves made in the last month or so have been good.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems likely burton will stay on with the panthers, reading this article above baz doesn’t seem confident about burton leaving the rifff that’s the vibe I got from reading that. Also still now there’s no update weather he’s signed with us or not.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like hearing him saying “we”, “us” and “our team”. I know it’s to be expected but still it’s the start of what I’m hoping is a very good era for our club.
When he did say it I doubt he meant it.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another Burton thread with nothing new information wise..except for the "two spots left" comment wtf is with that.
I'm wondering why a deal hasn't already been done unless it's delayed due to the early release negotiations..or we have all got our hopes up for nada ffs.