'We'd love Matt on board': Barrett keen on Penrith ace

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. Moses had good wraps on him coming through the grades but I still don’t feel he’s peaked. While we missed out on teddy I think we dodged a bullet with the other 3. We even gave woods another shot
Woods was a disaster, he stained our jersey all so he could play with his boyfriend, Klem.
As much as i would have liked Teddy, I definitely wasn't keen on the others. Too much stink just to have Teddy around.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BARRETT WANTS BURTON NOW

The rumours keep swirling that Panthers’ gun rookie Matt Burton will end up at the Bulldogs next season, if not, in 2022 and new coach Trent Barrett has added more fuel declaring he’d like the 20-year-old at Belmore next season.

“We’d love Matt on board here next year,’’ Trent Barrett told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“He’s only a young player but he’s someone with a lot of ability and whose pathway is a bit blocked at Penrith.

“He’d certainly be handy. He needs to decide where he wants to be in 2022 and 2023 first.

“We’ve got two spots left. There will be a lot of moving parts in regards to recruitment.”

Burton is considered a star of the future but is stuck behind Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai at Penrith. He comes off contract at the end of next season, which means he’s free to neogitate with rivals for 2022 and beyond and it’s not secret the Bulldogs are keen on the young half.

The Panthers have previously said they’re willing to play Burton out of position if it means keeping him at the club but with former assistant coach Trent Barrett joining the Bulldogs and in need of another half it’s looking more and more likely Burton will end up there.

The Bulldogs tabled a two-year deal worth $800,000 to Burton for 2022 and 2023 but should Burton sign it, the Panthers could feel increased pressure to release him early to join next season.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just another re hash of what he said on the other day. Journos should go to Burton for a comment.
Journos want to act like they have news lol

Looks like we have to be patient through another typical off-season where we get linked to a few players haha. Hopefully Burton takes up the offer we have given him.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow, that's great to hear. Cheers for the update.

Yeah that actually makes sense because in the interview Baz did yesterday he said that "he needs to decide where he wants to be in 2022 and 2023 first". Presumably the interview was done in the morning so the club probably hadn't heard back from him yet so Baz's answer now makes sense

Either way we should know in the next 24-48 hours. If I was a betting man, I'd say there is 90% chance we've got him...so then Lewis can start his whingeing
Surprised Lewis hasn’t come out and said he is looking forward to working with and mentoring Flanagan. And Flanagan has wakeman and averillo in front of him :p but he likes what he had seen so far.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised Lewis hasn’t come out and said he is looking forward to working with and mentoring Flanagan. And Flanagan has wakeman and averillo in front of him :p but he likes what he had seen so far.
I think Lewis sees the writing on the wall and is preparing himself for Burton and Flanagan to be the halves next year... Lewis has no running game and would not be a good fit beside Flanagan. I think Burton is a great fit... and Averillo would be a good fit too. But for team balance (assuming Burton will be playing with us in 22) I think Averillo would be better for us at Fullback.

I think if Burton doesn't come Averillo will play 5/8 and Meaney will be at the back, with Hoppa in the centres. I think Meaney could improve under Barrett, he has the pace just really doesn't know how to use it.

I get that some people say that if Averillo is going to be at the back then that's where he should play next year... but if Burton doesn't come for 21 we are looking at Lewis partnering Flanno and i see it all going wrong.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree all I want for Christmas is jac and burton signed for 2022 !!! Come for 2021 amazing haha!

Throw in leinu or fisher Harris to replace Napa and staggs for hoppa after next seasons deals expire

Oh won’t complain if Lewis and jmk go for a quality hooker too

Britt meaney Crichton c Smith Katoa all probz in more then we think to which should help dramatically

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Lewis sees the writing on the wall and is preparing himself for Burton and Flanagan to be the halves next year... Lewis has no running game and would not be a good fit beside Flanagan. I think Burton is a great fit... and Averillo would be a good fit too. But for team balance (assuming Burton will be playing with us in 22) I think Averillo would be better for us at Fullback.

I think if Burton doesn't come Averillo will play 5/8 and Meaney will be at the back, with Hoppa in the centres. I think Meaney could improve under Barrett, he has the pace just really doesn't know how to use it.

I get that some people say that if Averillo is going to be at the back then that's where he should play next year... but if Burton doesn't come for 21 we are looking at Lewis partnering Flanno and i see it all going wrong.
Exactly. That’s the way it should be. I’d hate to have Lewis 1 more year in the spine. Won’t get us anywhere. Still annoyed we re-signed him over a year ago for 2021.

Anyways if all he has is 12 months around here and he is gone forever I’ll put up with it.

The new board and Barrett seem to be making all the right moves so far (have to add hill to the list too). So if we have to put up with some dud players next year before we get another fresh reboot in 2022 I’m all for it.

But I agree. If burton doesn’t come then averillo gets a spine position. No doubt about it. Kid has barely played back to back games in the same position and at 20 years old I can only imagine how hard that could be (learning on the fly). And to be honest looked the most threatening player.

Exciting times ahead :grinning:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree all I want for Christmas is jac and burton signed for 2022 !!! Come for 2021 amazing haha!

Throw in leinu or fisher Harris to replace Napa and staggs for hoppa after next seasons deals expire

Oh won’t complain if Lewis and jmk go for a quality hooker too

Britt meaney Crichton c Smith Katoa all probz in more then we think to which should help dramatically
Geez ya not asking for much mate

Would be nice though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What bugs me is, how come his thread got taken down so quickly, but yet Nasheed's aren't taken down almost as instantly ?
Why does it bug you? The deleted post stated it as a fact when the poster had a history of posting total bullshit rumours. At least Nasheed posts his as rumours which lets anyone reading it can take it with a grain of salt. Plus when Nasheed does post rubbish it does get deleted you just never see it.

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah but didnt he want us to get moses aswell. But we had just signed foran
All I know for a fact is Tedesco was a done deal, and then he had a final sit down with Des, and Des told him about his plans for the team and Tedesco and starting talking tactics, then Tedesco asked his manager the minute he got out of THAT meeting if it was too late to get out of the deal and if he could be released from any pre paperwork he’d signed....
That I know

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the people who said he was touring belmore on Monday got any more news? Or is that not true?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People just need to remain patient regarding Burton. Negotiations are taking place and these things can take time, especially considering he's still under contract next season. There's no need to get anxious just because nothing has been announced yet.