Opinion Wayne bennett

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The weird thing about Hook is he coached for 173 1st Grade games for Broncs and Chocolate soldiers for a 96/76 win-loss ratio of 55%..? I wonder how many 1st grade coaches have a better win %?

Craig Bellamy 69%
Trent Robinson 63% (Sombrero cap)
Wayne Bennett 62%
Des Hasler 58%
A Seibold 56%
A Griffin 55%
P Green 53%
M Maguire 51%
R Stuart 50%
B Arthur 48%
Ivan Cleary 47%
P McGregor 47%
J Morris 44%
D Pay 36%
S Kearney 35%

I did not bother with O'Brien or Holbrook as they a 1st year coaches.

At the very least we could look at bringing Hook in as a Football manager/Advisor for Pay, considering he has hands on experience at the Storm, Broncos and under Gould at Penrith he would come relatively cheap and bring a wealth of knowledge??
The question I ask...With a better roster can Pay double his wining percentage and become a premiership winning coach ???

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The question I ask...With a better roster can Pay double his wining percentage and become a premiership winning coach ???
I really dont know to be honest and I wasn't trying to highlight Pays numbers because he debut with us at a very shit time roster wise etc. I was more highlighting the odd fact that Hook cant get a gig and yet he is way in front of plenty established coaches behind him in %'s

A Griffin 55%

P Green 53%
M Maguire 51%
R Stuart 50%
B Arthur 48%
Ivan Cleary 47%
P McGregor 47%
J Morris 44%

Maybe Pay would benefit with him around the joint?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I really dont know to be honest and I wasn't trying to highlight Pays numbers because he debut with us at a very shit time roster wise etc. I was more highlighting the odd fact that Hook cant get a gig and yet he is way in front of plenty established coaches behind him in %'s

A Griffin 55%

P Green 53%
M Maguire 51%
R Stuart 50%
B Arthur 48%
Ivan Cleary 47%
P McGregor 47%
J Morris 44%

Maybe Pay would benefit with him around the joint?
His Penrith winning percentage is 58.3%
I hear he is a very conservative type of coach / person, could suit us to a tee !!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The weird thing about Hook is he coached for 173 1st Grade games for Broncs and Chocolate soldiers for a 96/76 win-loss ratio of 55%..?
Anyone who coached the Donkeys should have a record better than 53%, a one city team with more TPA's over the years that all other teams combined. The stats also deserve a closer look, in 2011 with a team he did not recruit it was 74%, by 2013 with a team he did recruit it was down to 42%. At Penrith he didn't do much of the recruiting as Phil "5 year plan" Gould was the General Manager of Football.

A quick reminder of what Gould said about Grffin "Anthony is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". "I think the pressure from the media and constant speculation was eating away at him."

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone who coached the Donkeys should have a record better than 53%, a one city team with more TPA's over the years that all other teams combined. The stats also deserve a closer look, in 2011 with a team he did not recruit it was 74%, by 2013 with a team he did recruit it was down to 42%. At Penrith he didn't do much of the recruiting as Phil "5 year plan" Gould was the General Manager of Football.

A quick reminder of what Gould said about Grffin "Anthony is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". "I think the pressure from the media and constant speculation was eating away at him."

Go Dogs
On the surface it appears that way but you failed to mention that Darren Lockyer retired at the end of 2011 and Petro retired at the end of 2012 with Ben Teo going to Souths. They lost one of the best 5/8 fullbacks of all time and then one of Australia and Queensland's best front rowers in Petro and an enforcer in Teo to Soufs.

Using Gould as a reference holds as much weight for as it does against as he has left most clubs he has been involved with on poor terms including twice at the Panthers, and his reference about Hook being old school and wanting to do everything himself could be a look in the mirror moment for Gus. The pressure Griffin felt would have been the micro managing and behind the back power plays by Gould.

Twin, its very obvious you have strong allegiance to Pay as all your reply's reflect that, and I am not saying thats a bad thing to show your support. But, you have clearly challenged anyone to provide an alternative coach or plan to Pays 36% into his third season, and when one is offered you try to shit bag it with half facts.

As I have said here many times I would like nothing more than a Bulldog to lead our club and be successful. Facts are we have started poorly again and although derailed because of the goings on at Port Macquarie etc., if he really has a handle on things and the attention and respect of the group why would these players even think about doing what they did?

Maybe a little harder discipline from someone like Hook around the joint might be a good thing and still give Pay a chance to make good as the head coach..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Although he last coached in 2018 so isn't that far removed from the game, I think the reason he got 'hooked' at both the Ponies and the Panfers is it's pretty much his way or the highway - he tends to get people offside in the organisations he works for...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And although he last coached in 2018 so isn't that far removed from the game, I think the reason he got 'hooked' at both the Ponies and the Panfers is it's pretty much his way or the highway - and he tends to get people offside in the organisations he works for...
I think there is no doubt Griff is a little firmer than some but the Broncos hooked him because they wanted the "Messiah" back and Gus wanted a fallguy at Penrith to cover his own ass..

Also, I am not pushing Griff as replacement coach but as addition to the football staff to assist Pay and the football department.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hook does appear to have some authority about him, however our club would be sending the wrong message to the RL community if it changed coach before the end of the year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think there is no doubt Griff is a little firmer than some but the Broncos hooked him because they wanted the "Messiah" back and Gus wanted a fallguy at Penrith to cover his own ass..

Also, I am not pushing Griff as replacement coach but as addition to the football staff to assist Pay and the football department.
Totally get what you’re saying mate and don’t disagree in many respects.

Just not sure what other ripples that causes until we could be more sure of the path forward eg: would Deano throw the toys out of the cot and walk? If so is Griff then head coach? How long for? Who else do we have in mind and to start when?

Just think the club would need to be very strategic about any such change and it might be better to wait until a clear candidate for a longer term Head Coach emerges before pulling the trigger.

No doubt these sorts of discussions are happening anyway...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Although he last coached in 2018 so isn't that far removed from the game, I think the reason he got 'hooked' at both the Ponies and the Panfers is it's pretty much his way or the highway - he tends to get people offside in the organisations he works for...
He hasnt set the world on fire with the Waratahs either.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally get what you’re saying mate and don’t disagree in many respects.

Just not sure what other ripples that causes until we could be more sure of the path forward eg: would Deano throw the toys out of the cot and walk? If so is Griff then head coach? How long for? Who else do we have in mind and to start when?

Just think the club would need to be very strategic about any such change and it might be better to wait until a clear candidate for a longer term Head Coach emerges before pulling the trigger.

No doubt these sorts of discussions are happening anyway...
Not suggesting Griff as replacement, more an addition. Dean is not going to chuck his toys out of the cot and walk because he knows that nobody with his current record regardless of circumstance will hire him as their 1st grade coach. Look, we need to do something because the simple fact is we dont currently have the cattle needed or the club attraction and/or coach to attract the right players.

Bellamy is Buckley's chance, Bennett is too old for our current position and time frame, Robinson has never been tested outside Sombrero Cap and wouldn't risk his rep with us, I dont rate Seibold, Mag rejected us (fuck him), we have already been HASLERD, Flanagan is scum, Ricky is a Raider and the rest are new or meh...

I previously suggested bringing in a gun attacking great like a Johns or Daley to assist with our attack but the more I look at Griffin the more I see positives as Football manager or something because he does have experience a winning percentage, discipline and would have his share of current players that liked him. Dean could develop as head coach with his help and we could attract a few better players.

Or, we could just do nothing and hope (pray/beg) that things suddenly get better..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He hasnt set the world on fire with the Waratahs either.
20 litre drum of Methanol and a match wouldn't set them on fire currently and "Rugger" is completely fucked anyway.. Big HI to Rae Rae..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually like hook and he was treated unfairly by broncs and panthers and is good with young players

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I actually like hook and he was treated unfairly by broncs and panthers and is good with young players
I feel he's good with developing players and getting them up to a certain level, but tactically he has always fallen short and that has lead to numerous issues with staff and players.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel he's good with developing players and getting them up to a certain level, but tactically he has always fallen short and that has lead to numerous issues with staff and players.
Allegedly,but who doesn’t clash with gus the control freak