Opinion Wayne bennett

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Given our current situation signing Bennett could turn out an astute decision. He would overhaul our atrocious coaching staff & overhaul our underwhelming Football Department. Despite what many here think he still holds significant respect & influence within the NRL playing ranks. With the emerging Young talent we have & with some experienced astute signings, he could be just the catalyst to turn the Club back in the direction of success. Or, be bold & sign Shane Flanagan like we should have 18 months back...
It’s a democracy of course but I don’t agree with either - especially Flanagan. I’d vote against any Bulldog board who proposed employing that grub. I’d prefer to find a next generation coach than employ a more than once cheat.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When he was available previously I thought that he should have been given the job with Kevin Moore as his assistant, I'm sure that the Comp St George won would have been ours instead. perhaps another one or two as well.
Hannant Staggs , came to our club believing that Bennett was going to get the job, he also would have brought Darius with him as well.
I still think that he could still bring something positive to our club, considering the position our club is currently in, b t w I would keep Pay as his assistant if he is willing to stay, as for other available coaches there is really much to pick from.
Agreed mate, options are limited, we either stick with Pay, take on another rookie coach or target and pay a heap for a big name coach. For me, Bennett looks a better option than Pay or a rookie coach and for Pay, no shame in dropping back to an assistant role and learning from Bennett for a few more years. He could potentially inherit a very good football team in a few years with some development of exciting rookies and quality recruitment While Bennett May have lost his ability to attract players which is another debate in itself, I believe a few more players would agree to play under a Bennett lead Dogs team than what we currently offer. And then we also get into the debate that one or two players agree to ply under a quality coach for less, giving us extra coin for better quality players across the squad. Anyway, that’s just my view but I’m married and I’ve already been wrong atleast 10000 times already today

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a democracy of course but I don’t agree with either - especially Flanagan. I’d vote against any Bulldog board who proposed employing that grub. I’d prefer to find a next generation coach than employ a more than once cheat.
Completely agree with Flanagan. Really hope we're not that desperate to bring him to the Dogs.

However, with Bennett ... if he were available I'd really want to see the club go for him. At this point we need to improve the playing group. I think no one would argue against that. As it seems, we'll be in a decent financial situation when compared to other clubs with the amount of contracts ending etc. Whether the salary is reduced or not, we'd still be at the top of the hill when it comes to ability to buy players.

The issue is whether they'd want to come here. Now, maybe Pay fucking kills it the rest of the year and we become a force. Great if it evenuates, but seemingly unlikely. Bennett on the other hand would be able to bring a world of experience and a MASSIVE attraction to different players. Imo it'd be nuts for us to pass up on the opportunity to sign him to once again start with a 'next generation coach'. I'd prefer the 'next generation goach' to start under Bennet and take over in a few years.

Let's be honest though. Bennett isn't coming here ... nice to dream though ;)

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep Pay. That’s it just keep him. One win from the 8 last year with a mediocre roster. He’ll be right.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If they could get an experienced coach like Bennett I would try to make Pay our defense coach, I think that has been his best skill as a coach so far and I don't think he would throw a tantrum over that either and leave. He would learn heaps from Bennett and could maybe take back over full time in a few years time even.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id take Bennett.. no reason why not.. He still has respect of his players.. He will help attract players.. He is building a good roster wherever he goes..

People will point to Latrells failure at FB but its only been 2 games, & he can slot hin into Centre anytime where hes a proven gun..

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We said no in 09 and that's all she wrote!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed mate, options are limited, we either stick with Pay, take on another rookie coach or target and pay a heap for a big name coach. For me, Bennett looks a better option than Pay or a rookie coach and for Pay, no shame in dropping back to an assistant role and learning from Bennett for a few more years. He could potentially inherit a very good football team in a few years with some development of exciting rookies and quality recruitment While Bennett May have lost his ability to attract players which is another debate in itself, I believe a few more players would agree to play under a Bennett lead Dogs team than what we currently offer. And then we also get into the debate that one or two players agree to ply under a quality coach for less, giving us extra coin for better quality players across the squad. Anyway, that’s just my view but I’m married and I’ve already been wrong atleast 10000 times already today
Thank you mate particularly for the last point you made, I'm 76 and I would add a few more zeros to your 10,000, and off to work now.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Bennett will be available in some coaching capacity...
We would be absolutely stupid to knock him back again !!!
The last time we did it was out of loyalty to Kevin Moore...We all know the rest !
I am a Bennett fan and enjoyed his book. But I would want the fifty year old Wayne that could build a club into something and not the Dessie version at 70 that would come in like at the Knights and try and fluke a 1-3 year premiership at the expense of another 5-10 year shitfight for the club..

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Bennett I go a suspicion Anderson is loyal to pay

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mentor Wayne Bennett is our best option, if he links up with Pay or any other intelligent young coach...
He is a man manager and most importantly a much better talent magnet than what we have become !
It's highly unlikely we will attract a top coach for two reasons one unavailability, two not wanting to be here !!!
As much as we would like to sugar coat our situation...It isn't good
We have to thank the NRL ( News Ltd & PBL Nine networks ) and the politics of our club who made sure we are a damaged product and not to mention some individuals behaviour !!!

Last edited:

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have only won a comp with one of own true?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree with Flanagan. Really hope we're not that desperate to bring him to the Dogs.

However, with Bennett ... if he were available I'd really want to see the club go for him. At this point we need to improve the playing group. I think no one would argue against that. As it seems, we'll be in a decent financial situation when compared to other clubs with the amount of contracts ending etc. Whether the salary is reduced or not, we'd still be at the top of the hill when it comes to ability to buy players.

The issue is whether they'd want to come here. Now, maybe Pay fucking kills it the rest of the year and we become a force. Great if it evenuates, but seemingly unlikely. Bennett on the other hand would be able to bring a world of experience and a MASSIVE attraction to different players. Imo it'd be nuts for us to pass up on the opportunity to sign him to once again start with a 'next generation coach'. I'd prefer the 'next generation goach' to start under Bennet and take over in a few years.

Let's be honest though. Bennett isn't coming here ... nice to dream though ;)

Only your dream mate I certainly don’t want Bennett to coach us.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not fussed if we did get him or not or if we are even pursuing him...he's still a top coach though. He was one game away from another GF last year with his best player busted.

His team will be up there again this year.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are always on about recruiting a new coach. Dont they realise that the coach is not the problem. Its the roster.