Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hi all,
We should go after him!
He will attract players to our club first and foremost
Make Us competing again.

Pls
Bulldogs!!! Sign him!

He is our answer at this moment and brings wealth of experience .
Apart from Newcastle (which he signed for all the wrong reasons) each team turns up for him!

Pay can be an assistant or he can go.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have I missed something? What's with all these Wayne Bennett suggestions lately? Is he off contract all of a sudden?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have I missed something? What's with all these Wayne Bennett suggestions lately? Is he off contract all of a sudden?
Yes, his understudy is going to take the head job and they are saying they want to transition Wayne into a head office type role at the Rabbitohs. Wayne has publicly stated he wants to continue coaching and was being linked to the Dragons with no parties coming out and agreeing to or denying the rumours.

The rumours of NRL supercoach Wayne Bennett making a return to Wollongong next year have heated up again this week.

The Daily Telegraph ignited the story in a column on Monday and now 2010 premiership player Jamie Soward has thrown his weight behind it.

Bennett coached the Dragons for three years and led them to the 2010 title. He left the club a year later.

In the eight seasons since his departure the club has only qualified for finals twice, and they’ve began the 2020 campaign with two losses.

Bennett is currently coaching South Sydney but the Rabbitohs have a succession plan in place and the veteran coach does not have a job for 2021 at this stage.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has struggled to turn the team into a premiership contender and fans aren’t exactly fully supportive of him remaining in the job.

Bennett has already indicated his desire to continue coaching, despite being 70 years old.

Soward told Wide World of Sports Bennett could transform the famous Red V into a force once again.

“Wayne is a great coach - his record speaks for itself,” Soward said.

“He is a great person and the club would be lucky to have him. They need roster changes but he is capable of making those hard calls.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/0fd8530114c69fb309d876d04584538d

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The days of Bennett attracting players is long gone, he couldn't even get Boyd to follow him to the Wabbits. Plus Frizell passed on Bennett (despite Cook's best efforts) and chose an unproven O'Brien instead. Next will be DFafita to reject Bennett, even though he has already coached him.

Go Dogs

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing our luck he would drop dead as he walked through the gate at Belmore.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A no for mine.
Bellamy won’t come either.
If Deano is not retained (this or next year) it will come down to a current coach falling out with their club, unearthing a next generation coach - or - longer shot but not impossible a club not surviving or merging and making one coach excess to needs.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Bennett. Didn’t we have him basically signed years ago similar to the roosters then he changed his mind. Great coach but his best is behind him in my opinion

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally think he has the experienced to get us out of this hole we are in.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't understand people constantly calling for Bennett. The game has passed him by. His tactics haven't changed in decades and all he's good for is being able to relate to the players. He hasn't had success anywhere he's coached since Saints. His record since he last won the comp is quite awful considering the clubs he's coached in that time.

He's 70 plus and we need a long term coach. Not a grumpy old dinosaur who is living off his accomplishments from 30 and 20 years ago.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Bennett will be available in some coaching capacity...
We would be absolutely stupid to knock him back again !!!
The last time we did it was out of loyalty to Kevin Moore...We all know the rest !

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan. 2022.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t mind the idea personally, I understand the concerns that maybe he hasn’t changed his game plans too much over the years and maybe the game has passed him by. But for me, I see him allowing his creative players play what’s in front of them. He hasn’t stopped Walker playing his natural game or Cook from running the ball whenever he likes. He has put the power back in the players hands and I see that as a positive for a club who were turned into 6 hit ups and no kick team with very poor ball fluency and attacking flare. We all understand he is a man manager, he relates well with the younger players and they seem to play for him still. Could be a good option for a team filled with young guys wanting to play their natural games and be supported by a their coach. Averillo, Wakeham, Meaney and co could really develop under a guy like Bennett IMO

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he brought Damien Cook and Adam Reynolds with him you couldn’t say no. Can’t see that happening though.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A no for mine.
Bellamy won’t come either.
If Deano is not retained (this or next year) it will come down to a current coach falling out with their club, unearthing a next generation coach - or - longer shot but not impossible a club not surviving or merging and making one coach excess to needs.
Given our current situation signing Bennett could turn out an astute decision. He would overhaul our atrocious coaching staff & overhaul our underwhelming Football Department. Despite what many here think he still holds significant respect & influence within the NRL playing ranks. With the emerging Young talent we have & with some experienced astute signings, he could be just the catalyst to turn the Club back in the direction of success. Or, be bold & sign Shane Flanagan like we should have 18 months back...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No thanks, he’s been around a while and has had success, but he’s not a fit for OUR Bulldogs club.!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t mind the idea personally, I understand the concerns that maybe he hasn’t changed his game plans too much over the years and maybe the game has passed him by. But for me, I see him allowing his creative players play what’s in front of them. He hasn’t stopped Walker playing his natural game or Cook from running the ball whenever he likes. He has put the power back in the players hands and I see that as a positive for a club who were turned into 6 hit ups and no kick team with very poor ball fluency and attacking flare. We all understand he is a man manager, he relates well with the younger players and they seem to play for him still. Could be a good option for a team filled with young guys wanting to play their natural games and be supported by a their coach. Averillo, Wakeham, Meaney and co could really develop under a guy like Bennett IMO
When he was available previously I thought that he should have been given the job with Kevin Moore as his assistant, I'm sure that the Comp St George won would have been ours instead. perhaps another one or two as well.
Hannant Staggs , came to our club believing that Bennett was going to get the job, he also would have brought Darius with him as well.
I still think that he could still bring something positive to our club, considering the position our club is currently in, b t w I would keep Pay as his assistant if he is willing to stay, as for other available coaches there is really much to pick from.