Opinion War chest 2.0

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Lewis should 100% be a lock. He’d be a great wade graham type if he ran the ball a bit more
He's to soft for that, lacks that killer instinct that Graham has. I get where your coming from though.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's to soft for that, lacks that killer instinct that Graham has. I get where your coming from though.
Graham could actually pass, short kick, long kick, run hard, hit holes and bash in defense. So basically everything Lewis is not.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis can defend - he is too slow - running, passing and kicking - to be a threat with the ball. The club moved him into the centres a few years back - defended exceptionally well - but just too slow.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis can defend - he is too slow - running, passing and kicking - to be a threat with the ball. The club moved him into the centres a few years back - defended exceptionally well - but just too slow.
I thought you were describing Hoppa then.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coen Hess, Harry Grant and Nick Cotric would be a great start and wouldn’t cost a shit load. Even Tamou at a stretch.
If Averillo and Wakeham get a decent chance to prove themselves that would be an indication of if we need another half, Clifford would be a decent target.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Coen Hess, Harry Grant and Nick Cotric would be a great start and wouldn’t cost a shit load. Even Tamou at a stretch.
If Averillo and Wakeham get a decent chance to prove themselves that would be an indication of if we need another half, Clifford would be a decent target.
Jamil Hopoate > Hess. Bateman would be good but he's on contract, we should have discussions with him just so we make Raiders have to pay more to keep him.
Friend unless Cameron Smith goes around again and Grant doesn't stay with the Tigers. The only other name off contract going for is Mahoney. Brandon Smith or McInnes would be amazing but they're both on contract (Brandom Smith probably on a smallish contract).
The problem with Cotric or JAC is going to be paying ~700k for a centre or winger. I think we should bite the bullet on Cotric tho.
Tamou was great last season but he's ageing. Welch is another name I like just he's had a horrible run with ACL injuries. Toby Rudolf has been linked with the Warriors he looks promising too.
I think if we're buying another half it should be a gun. No reason to buy Clifford if we have Wakeham and Averillo (as well as Lewis and maybe Cogger too, depending if re-signed). I really don't mind Milford but more so as a fullback.
Milford, Cotric, Friend and Jamil Hopoate to go with Thompson. I'm confident we could make top eight next year with that sort of recruitment or something similar.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pass on Corn Hess, pretty average considering how good he looked at the start of his career.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be making inquires about Daryl Clake from Warrington wolves before going after Jake Friend. Clake is rated the best hooker in the esl. Still only 27 years old. Also has plenty of experience. If we are lucky he might be another Josh Hodgson.
This is why I'm in favour of going after Friend,we get a reliable performer with plenty of experience that's far better than what we have while giving us a year or two to evaluate our options for the future. Unfortunately now all we do is half arse it and end up with players like JMK in roles they're never going to be good enough to fill.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd be making inquires about Daryl Clake from Warrington wolves before going after Jake Friend. Clake is rated the best hooker in the esl. Still only 27 years old. Also has plenty of experience. If we are lucky he might be another Josh Hodgson.
He looks pretty good for a pommy.
Contracted til 2023 but mentions in 2014 article wanting to play nrl.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The recruitment is going to be so critical in the future of our club

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Future team bona-fide from current roster (in my opinion):

1. DWZ
2. Reimis Smith
4. Hoppa
7. Foran
8. Napa
10. Thompson
11. Stimson
12. J. Jackson
14. R. To'omaga
16. Britt

Fit and healthy these guys get a start in most NRL teams I believe. Maybe some play in different roles (eg DWZ might play on the wing, etc)
Foran is a difficult one because on the field he is a great player to have. He is the perfect type of player for us but he is injury prone no doubt about it. The problem is there are no obvious candidates to replace him with. For me it just comes down to whether he plays out the majority of the remainder of 2020 and what price he is willing to accept.

Hooker is genuine concern and again there is no obvious target. I'm not a fan of Jake Friend. I don't believe he has the style of play to make us a better chance of winning matches inline with what his price tag would demand. I am a big fan of Brandon smith however and would happily throw the fuckin bank at him.

We need an outside back or two to make up for our short comings at fullback. DWZ is good but he is not a superstar like Teddy, RTS, Ponga. So we need to surround him with quality. Cotric, C. Rona, M. Koroibete would be my targets. Fuck i'd be talking to Falou as well and Crichton's younger brother at the Panthers.

In the forwards CHN leaves a big hole - can we make a play to get him back? Did we sack him or was that the NRL? We need at least one edge player who is dynamic and can use the footy. We'll need another prop or two as well but between Renouf, Thompson and Napa i think we'll have a really good rotation next year.

In terms of up and coming players I have faith in Wakeham and Averillo. At least i'd like to see more of them. I was a big fan of Lewis when he came into the side but he isn't showing me much that suggests he will offer us anything long term. JMK showed towards the back end of last season that he can run the footy and create something out of dummy half but he doesn't do it often enough.

One thing is for sure, there is no magic fix. There isn't 1 or 2 players available that will turn us into contenders. We need quality not just whoever is willing to come for $.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they sign Reynolds at half his current contract, they would have roughly $2 million in cap space tied up in Napa, Lewis, Reynolds and Jackson for next year.

All of those decisions and contracts were made by the current regime. This is how other clubs spend $2 million..

Taumalolo, Drinkwater, Robson and Asiata would cost less.

Haas, Fifita, Staggs and Flegler would cost less.

Arrow, Murray, Knight and Burns would cost less.

Bateman, Cotric, CNK and Horsburgh would cost less.

I know which players I'd rather have. It's good to see that the club is managing the cap so well and aren't repeating the mistakes Dib, Hasler and Castle made as they promised they wouldn't..

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think of the players we've signed in the last two plus years under the current regime...

Thompson, Napa, DWZ, CHN (since released), Meaney, Chrichton, Cogger, Sue, Chris Smith, Priest, Stimson, Britt, JMK, Katoa. And now potentially add Reynolds to that list as well...

Excluding Thompson from the equation that's at least $2.5 million to $3 million of cap space that could have been used a hell of a lot better than it has. Especially when you see how well other clubs manage their cap.

Aside from DWZ, Thompson, Napa and CHN, almost every player on that list would struggle to make the 17 of most other clubs.

Waiting too see how Lynne, Hill and Pay and the current regime waste the rest of our cap space is like a never ending root canal treatment with no anaesthetic.