Opinion War chest 2.0

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
$$$$$$$$$
I love the Dogs but why on earth would a decent player want to join us?

Poor on field performances, not a good one off too, shit house player roster, coach in limbo, no established halves......on and on and on.

We won't get Cotric or anyone of that calibre.

People say give Dean one more year with a full salary cap, that's all well and good but players don't want to join no hoper teams. That's why we.need to make the 8, to show players we are a team on the rise, but we have already got off to our customary shit start.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Go for the damn premiership in 2021 sick of all this 'rebuilding' nonsense.

Bring in some leaders and a couple of strike players. If Pay won't do it get Flanagan in he doesn't care what age the players are as long as they fit the system.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was interviewed on the news tonight and said he was keen to play next year in the NRL. He is a shadow of himself these days I don’t think there would be too many clubs if any after him.
Poor bloke, he’s no longer relevant. Bar his chasing of an interception try. Mind you only pushing the conversion to the side of the posts as opposed to in front

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
id be going after albert hopoate, we're light on backs with x factor and hes on the cusp of first grade. had a few injuries but is a weapon when hes on. Could get will in his ear and possibly get him on the cheaper side now before he's an established first grader
Said this a while ago. Albert and Jamil should be our targets especially if we are to keep Will long term.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Dogs but why on earth would a decent player want to join us?

Poor on field performances, not a good one off too, shit house player roster, coach in limbo, no established halves......on and on and on.

We won't get Cotric or anyone of that calibre.

People say give Dean one more year with a full salary cap, that's all well and good but players don't want to join no hoper teams. That's why we.need to make the 8, to show players we are a team on the rise, but we have already got off to our customary shit start.
tenor (9).gif

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
$$$$$$$$$
Agreed but fans need to realise if we're bottom feeding we will be paying overs for these types of players. They'd probably take a little less to be at a winning club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed but fans need to realise if we're bottom feeding we will be paying overs for these types of players. They'd probably take a little less to be at a winning club.
The other thing is you have to absolutely nail the right player when you are shelling out the big money. There’s no margin for error as we have found out with Foran.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The other thing is you have to absolutely nail the right player when you are shelling out the big money. There’s no margin for error as we have found out with Foran.
If its true we are interested in Grubby to return, then I wouldn't be confident that this lot will pick the right player.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no point in having a war chest if you spend it on a bunch of Army Reserves and rejects...

We need to recruit Special Ops type legitimate talent that other clubs don't just leave on the scrapheap..

We need to recruit the best players available that other clubs don't want to lose. The type of players that can take the club to the next level and help entice other talent to join.

They have a great opportunity to make the club a force again. If they squander it we'll just have to rebuild all over again.
Agree with you but easier said than done.

Any recruitment is going to heavily rely on the performance of the team this year, in particular Pay. If he instils a sense of true comradship, a distinct style of play, and gets some results I think it'll be much easier to sell the club. Without a doubt.

Of course money talks. But at the same time so does a true project with a clear vision. I'm sure that the club will be trying to combine the two to get the right player(s) for our club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If its true we are interested in Grubby to return, then I wouldn't be confident that this lot will pick the right player.
If they bring back Grub I will lose any faith in the people currently in charge of turning it around. It would be a momental backward step.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Go for the damn premiership in 2021 sick of all this 'rebuilding' nonsense.

Bring in some leaders and a couple of strike players. If Pay won't do it get Flanagan in he doesn't care what age the players are as long as they fit the system.
So do exactly what Hasler did? Look short-term?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think we will be making much of a dent in the player market. There's just not that many quality players off contract for 2021 in positions we desperately need.

It will be more stop gap options, veterans or other clubs scraps.

Our best hope will be other player movements in the NRL making contracted players become available.
Hold that thought Spoony... we all know what these millennial players are like these days, all about themselves and what they can earn yeah, well the Coronavirus has put a serious dent in not only their current earnings but their future earnings also with all this talk that the game needs to seriously reduce the cap in order to stay financially viable going forward creating a greater vacuum to their former market value pre COVID-19 and no doubt their money grubbing player managers will be constantly reminding these top marquee players of this fact. There are several marquee players on contract and off contract that have their noses out of joint atm because of this situation which I think will put their loyalty towards their families first before their current clubs, which means cashed up clubs like us could benefit from their salaries being considerably slashed due to the pandemic situation. Money talks and bullshit walks and luckily for the Dogggies we have plenty of cash to splash whilst other clubs spent up big pre the virus...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hold that thought Spoony... we all know what these millennial players are like these days, all about themselves and what they can earn yeah, well the Coronavirus has put a serious dent in not only their current earnings but their future earnings also with all this talk that the game needs to seriously reduce the cap in order to stay financially viable going forward creating a greater vacuum to their former market value pre COVID-19 and no doubt their money grubbing player managers will be constantly reminding these top marquee players of this fact. There are several marquee players on contract and off contract that have their noses out of joint atm because of this situation which I think will put their loyalty towards their families first before their current clubs, which means cashed up clubs like us could benefit from their salaries being considerably slashed due to the pandemic situation. Money talks and bullshit walks and luckily for the Dogggies we have plenty of cash to splash whilst other clubs spent up big pre the virus...
That would definitely be our best chance of landing some big signings. If they decrease the cap it will significantly increase our chances but if they don’t we are back to square one. Hopefully a few things fall our way and the people in charge can get it done.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If they bring back Grub I will lose any faith in the people currently in charge of turning it around. It would be a momental backward step.
But he's got that bulldog DNA lol... I have no doubt that this board will fuck us by signing him. We will pay more than anyone else would aswell.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a backward step. I'd say it's a forward step ... straight off a fucking cliff.

Don't see the point in getting carried away with the Grub return talk as the journo that came out with it had his
Yes. This is completely true and I do think we've got a decent chance to pick up some decent players.

But ... in my mind trying to buy ourselves out of this mess will only land us straight back into the mess. We need to be smarter in how we approach building our team. Without doubt we need to buy players. We need to add quality. But in my mind it's about balance. Invest in the youth. Add experience to help that youth learn more.

All of this talk about a warchest is good and all but I really do worry that we as a supporter base haven't learnt from the Hasler years. I feel the club has though. Quality not quantity. Born and bred not bought ;)

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a backward step. I'd say it's a forward step ... straight off a fucking cliff.

Don't see the point in getting carried away with the Grub return talk as the journo that came out with it had his

Yes. This is completely true and I do think we've got a decent chance to pick up some decent players.

But ... in my mind trying to buy ourselves out of this mess will only land us straight back into the mess. We need to be smarter in how we approach building our team. Without doubt we need to buy players. We need to add quality. But in my mind it's about balance. Invest in the youth. Add experience to help that youth learn more.

All of this talk about a warchest is good and all but I really do worry that we as a supporter base haven't learnt from the Hasler years. I feel the club has though. Quality not quantity. Born and bred not bought ;)

TBH I think it's all BS! once upon a time when Grub was told the Tigers were looking to offload him a journo said would you go back to the Bulldogs and he said something along the lines of how it would be a dream homecoming and since then the journos have a had a field day linking him to us and creating headlines whenever there's nothing else to write about and fill spaces. I believe Dean Pay already shot this down too a while ago.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...m-of-belmore-return/d4gdfweg95t71uz1ve4kknujk

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest they need to get away from this bulldog DNA rubbish and get the players on the market who can do the job. The players today are a wired differently it’s not like when bullfrog was in charge bring them into the club and treated it like a family it’s a business now and a pay check for them there all entitled have half a dozen good games and straight on the phone to the mangers wanting to go from 100k to 800-900k immediately with doing nothing
Just need players who want to win and ain’t happy to collect a pay check

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's just stop talking about the Grub returning. It was one shitty reporter whose story got blown out of the water that exact day as all the predictions in it were proven to be completely false. Move on people. Nothing to see here.