News Thomas Duffy

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not saying I agree with him at FB, where do think he would go the best?
Bro my son and his younger brother go to school together.
I see Khaled from time to time and he is a half who definitely needs more time playing in the Reggie’s to learn his craft. Will he be our future 7 or a star who knows I won’t say yes or no but he deserves his chance in Reggie’s where he is performing quite well atm

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes but there's also no point in stockpilling talented kids when its clear as day we need an established half alongside them to actually develop. Penrith had an experienced Walsh and Maloney at the club when the likes of Cleary and Luai were breaking through and now their next gen have Cleary and Luai playing that role. We haven't had anyone for years, Burton came from Penrith so i did expect a lot more from him than he has delivered. Clear he needs someone more experienced but the same could be said for numerous other players.
One question if we had to offload Averillo or Burton, which one would you offload?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we sign this kid he probably wouldn't even be in the top 30. He'd be on a high end juniors deal. That doesn't mean we wouldn't sign an experienced half too. A signing like this would be for two years from now.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tend to buy players and NOT play them, unlike other clubs who give them a chance. We however persist on picking the same jokes like Okunbor and Dufty each week.

This guy will end up no different to BBO if we sign him.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly think he would keep Averillo. Burton's a dud, he hasn't done anything this year :tearsofjoy: . Apart from clearly being heads and shoulders above the rest.
But just being serious now, I think Burto has played exceptionally well over the last 4 weeks in a well beaten, error riddled, undisciplined and down on confidence side with no leadership or direction.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I honestly think he would keep Averillo. Burton's a dud, he hasn't done anything this year :tearsofjoy: . Apart from clearly being heads and shoulders above the rest.
But just being serious now, I think Burto has played exceptionally well over the last 4 weeks in a well beaten, error riddled, undisciplined and down on confidence side with no leadership or direction.
Nah, Marley loves Averillo but even he would rather have Burton.. Burto has definitely improved a lot over the last month. His efforts in defence and making cover tackles tells me all I need to know about his commitment to the team and the club.

I've always been confident that it was only a matter of time til he started racking up tries and try assists. I think we're seeing him turn the corner now. Hopefully with more urgency and accountability throughout the whole squad with Potter taking over, we can see the best of Burton the last half of the season..

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tend to buy players and NOT play them, unlike other clubs who give them a chance. We however persist on picking the same jokes like Okunbor and Dufty each week.

This guy will end up no different to BBO if we sign him.
Loyalty to a fault has been the Bulldog’s problem for a long time now.

Jackson is the prime example. He has been a servant of the club and he is not going to put his hand up to take a back seat. At the very least he should play off the bench and make another joint captain for this year.

It’s also time to play BBO at 7. The season is gone and playing him for 5minutes at 9 off the bench isn’t helping anything.

Playing Waddell & Stimson over some of the young backrowers is also wasting time. Even if it’s a one off game where everyone knows that is the deal. Give them all a run with no pressure as the season rolls on.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we sign this kid he probably wouldn't even be in the top 30. He'd be on a high end juniors deal. That doesn't mean we wouldn't sign an experienced half too. A signing like this would be for two years from now.
I think the only reason he would request a release from the Cowboys would be on the basis of the potential of playing first grade. Which whilst only probably be a minimum wage contract. I think it would have to be a minimum wage top 30 contract to sign him.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is this thread still alive? I thought Gus buried this rumour [emoji23]

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the only reason he would request a release from the Cowboys would be on the basis of the potential of playing first grade. Which whilst only probably be a minimum wage contract. I think it would have to be a minimum wage top 30 contract to sign him.
Depends. You might be right.. But I know of a few high priced juniors/youngsters at other clubs that are outside of the top 30 that are on more than minimum wage players in the top 30. Sometimes clubs structure it that way to exploit both the NRL salary cap and the lower tier salary cap for Reserves and Juniors. That's why you often see scrubs who will never play FG fill the last few top 30 spots.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Assuming Duffy is the next Thurston and Burton destined to be a future immortal, which one switches to the right side of the field?

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, Marley loves Averillo but even he would rather have Burton.. Burto has definitely improved a lot over the last month. His efforts in defence and making cover tackles tells me all I need to know about his commitment to the team and the club.

I've always been confident that it was only a matter of time til he started racking up tries and try assists. I think we're seeing him turn the corner now. Hopefully with more urgency and accountability throughout the whole squad with Potter taking over, we can see the best of Burton the last half of the season..
I agree whole heartedly!
Until this year he had only played a handful of firsts games in the halves.
He is now learning how to actually lead a team around the park week in, week out which takes time for all young halves.
Complicating matters has been the coaching mess & shitfull team we currently are....

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming Duffy is the next Thurston and Burton destined to be a future immortal, which one switches to the right side of the field?
If they are both that good it shouldn't really matter should it??
I would base it on how to take best advantage of Burto's long kicking game, everything else should be adaptable..
The idea that modern halves are only able to play on one side of the field is utterly absurd!

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This signing is all well and good... but we need a halfback for next 2-3 years. look at previous big recruitment drives, they centred around Ricky Stuart in 1999 and Brett kimmorley 2009. We need a quality halfback
Mitch Moses can sign a new deal nov 1 this year for 24. It’s amazing people are talking about Munster before Mitch. I can’t see him leaving Parra during this premiership window they’re in but money talks and we have fuckloads for ‘24.