News Thomas Duffy

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Loyalty to a fault has been the Bulldog’s problem for a long time now.

Jackson is the prime example. He has been a servant of the club and he is not going to put his hand up to take a back seat. At the very least he should play off the bench and make another joint captain for this year.

It’s also time to play BBO at 7. The season is gone and playing him for 5minutes at 9 off the bench isn’t helping anything.

Playing Waddell & Stimson over some of the young backrowers is also wasting time. Even if it’s a one off game where everyone knows that is the deal. Give them all a run with no pressure as the season rolls on.
BBO needs to stay in reserves, no where near ready for first grade

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes but there's also no point in stockpilling talented kids when its clear as day we need an established half alongside them to actually develop. Penrith had an experienced Walsh and Maloney at the club when the likes of Cleary and Luai were breaking through and now their next gen have Cleary and Luai playing that role. We haven't had anyone for years, Burton came from Penrith so i did expect a lot more from him than he has delivered. Clear he needs someone more experienced but the same could be said for numerous other players.
I’m not quite sure what you expect from Burton. He’s not the “General” type of player. He’s a running 6 that can create opportunities for himself through tackle busting, speed, anticipation and running good lines. He can create opportunities for others as we’ve already seen with JAC. He’s surrounded by niff nuffs. It’s no surprise that JAC is the only player he’s developed a genuine combo with as JAC is an elite star. I don’t understand how you expect him single handedly to convert us into a winning team surrounded by absolute rubbish with shithouse structures on top of that. Judging his success at Penrith to what we’re are seeing now is like comparing apples with oranges. Would you say that the NSW and Panthers 5/8 Luai would be a game changer and stand out in place of Burton right now? Thurston wasn’t an instant star when he made the grade and he was playing in a star studded team. With patience and the right recruitment and coaching staff you’ll see Burton live up to his expectations and beyond. I just hope it’s in blue n white colours.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watched the highlights reel. Those kids are playing much better than our first grade side bulldogs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m not quite sure what you expect from Burton. He’s not the “General” type of player. He’s a running 6 that can create opportunities for himself through tackle busting, speed, anticipation and running good lines. He can create opportunities for others as we’ve already seen with JAC. He’s surrounded by niff nuffs. It’s no surprise that JAC is the only player he’s developed a genuine combo with as JAC is an elite star. I don’t understand how you expect him single handedly to convert us into a winning team surrounded by absolute rubbish with shithouse structures on top of that. Judging his success at Penrith to what we’re are seeing now is like comparing apples with oranges. Would you say that the NSW and Panthers 5/8 Luai would be a game changer and stand out in place of Burton right now? Thurston wasn’t an instant star when he made the grade and he was playing in a star studded team. With patience and the right recruitment and coaching staff you’ll see Burton live up to his expectations and beyond. I just hope it’s in blue n white colours.
I expected him to do more than our previous halves which he is yet to do.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree he should be playing Reggie’s. But we need to take the field with a 7. Unfortunately everyone we have in our squad for 7 should be playing Reggie’s.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree he should be playing Reggie’s. But we need to take the field with a 7. Unfortunately everyone we have in our squad for 7 should be playing Reggie’s.
He's the furthest thing from a halfback though, very erratic and runs himself others out of space often. He has no control in his game yet.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's the furthest thing from a halfback though, very erratic and runs himself others out of space often. He has no control in his game yet.
I'll assume you watch him a fair bit so will believe your assessment, do you or does anyone know if someone from past years who excelled in the halves has been mentoring these young guys with extra work/development? Needs to be a priority if Sherwin or someone highly qualified isn't already involved right now.
I think BBO has the potential but we need to maybe press the button on one of these youngsters(him or Hayward)a little for a possible fulltime role in 2023..hell even late this year at least try one of them out, as the current options are dogsballz.
We don't lose anything and it shouldn't ruin them a month or so in FG.
Agree too if BBO is one earmarked as our halfback he needs to play reggies every week in the 7, find other FG bench options because he is being completely wasted there.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Isnt this just because he is playing 14? I haven’t seen much of him at 7 so it’s a genuine question.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Isnt this just because he is playing 14? I haven’t seen much of him at 7 so it’s a genuine question.
He has been named at halfback a few times in reserves but Wakeham has played the more controlling role in those games.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasn't had the opportunities to fully prove himself, thought he went OK in a few of the games I have seen him play in.

Would you rather we keep selecting duds like Dufty and Knockonbor every week?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has been named at halfback a few times in reserves but Wakeham has played the more controlling role in those games.

If BBO was given more opportunities to prove himself I'm sure he and we would be better off than putting Wakeham back in. Wakeham has done a few good things but they're heavily outweighed by the negative stuff I've seen from him.

Frustrating player to watch but the best game I've ever seen him play was for NZ in a Test Match. Totally different player to the one I've seen in the Blue & White.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playing BBO in first grade this year is a waste.

Averillo went straight to first grade without learning his craft in reserve grade first, and look how that turned out.

Unfortunately, it’s best to stick with Flanagan at 7 this year, with BBO at 7 in reserves playing 80 minutes.