Opinion The 'Rebuild' Is A Disaster

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He absolutely did not join Penrith on significantly less lol. I also suspect that the club is paying DWZ more than they offered Api, if that's is actually true then there's massive problems at the club.
I just remember fans saying we shouldn't pay anymore than 400k for Koroisau. 2nd hooker at Manly (for good reason, Fainu) and injury prone. Koroisau so far is looking like a player we should of payed overs for (~600-700k).

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay and the board took over, inherited a mess and we all acknowledge that a rebuild was required.

Now two, going on three years later we're in need of another rebuild.. Somehow we have no stand out young stars who have been developed properly during that time to show for it when developing young talent was supposed to be their focus.

There are a lot of questions left unanswered, but the longer the club let Pay just completely destroy what little shred of appeal the club has left, the more you worry about the state of the club moving forward.
totally agree.
A Ricky Stuart style rebuild was needed, whiteboard and all. Instead Pay has been patching things up slowly and has not achieved anything. One step forward, two steps back.

ps. And we ain’t going to attract any talent to the club with the current coach and roster without paying massive overs so we are in a perpetual shit fight until we sack the coach and bring a top line experienced coaching team to the club.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What says it all for me, is we lost two players one an international, have money to spend have spots on the roster to fill, loads of players not in teams 17 each week arent even playing, and we cant or wont sign decent players to fill the positions we need badly. What a poor excuse for management, im sick of wasting energy on this club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I just remember fans saying we shouldn't pay anymore than 400k for Koroisau. 2nd hooker at Manly (for good reason, Fainu) and injury prone. Koroisau so far is looking like a player we should of payed overs for (~600-700k).
I remember some saying he wasn't an upgrade on JMK LOLOLOL. I defenitely didn't want us to pay massive overs for him based on his injury history, but from memory i think I was okay with is pushing the 600k mark. That was also influenced by the fact that there were other options still available and I didn't expect us to miss them all and end up with fucking Katoa.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What says it all for me, is we lost two players one an international, have money to spend have spots on the roster to fill, loads of players not in teams 17 each week arent even playing, and we cant or wont sign decent players to fill the positions we need badly. What a poor excuse for management, im sick of wasting energy on this club.
And the signings we actually make are likely on overs and are either squad players or players in roles that other clubs simply wouldn't offer them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a simple but important question to both pro and anti Pay fans...
How many marquee players are we expected to sign with all the uncertainties surrounding the coach ?

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
The information I got, whether its right or wrong I don't independently know, is that Api was coming until the Panthers approached him with a "better offer". But somehow, the "better offer" was for less money. Read into that what you will...

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The information I got, whether its right or wrong I don't independently know, is that Api was coming until the Panthers approached him with a "better offer". But somehow, the "better offer" was for less money. Read into that what you will...
Better roster
Better coach (although Cleary isnt that great either)
Better assistant coach (Barrett has a relationship with him from their Manly days)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How many marquee players are we expected to sign with all the uncertainties surrounding the coach ?
Three to four top players. The only reason why we wouldn't be able to sign Munster, Keary, Thompson (already signed) and Brandon Smith for e.g. (are they all marquee players? it depends what the definition is) is because they're under contract (yes, we have to pay overs). I expect us to bring in at least 2-3m worth of talent (I think we'll have closer to 3.5m personally, that includes Thompson's rumoured ~800k tho). It's just going to be how we spend it (who, where). Maybe we spread it out between more players. The Knights did it with Brown so coach isn't as much of an issue as you think.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...a-franchise-player/16fvpovtxqofl1bpi0941irc8v

If you can't get a Ponga the next best for the same amount (~1.1m) is Munster imo. Munster is rumoured to be on ~900k at the Storm.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good question. They need to either fire him or re-sign him soon. The longer his future is up in the air, the harder it will be to recruit players when they'll have no knowledge who the coach will be.. Now is not the time for the club to be indecisive.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good question. They need to either fire him or re-sign him soon. The longer his future is up in the air, the harder it will be to recruit players when they'll have no knowledge who the coach will be.. Now is not the time for the club to be indecisive.
If there was a top coach available he'll be here next year. At this stage our coach is Pay. They're either going to be playing for Pay or a top coach. Players are coming here for money tho (we just have to make sure it's the right players that are not going to take it as a holiday, e.g. Titans).

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO the only valid reason to re-sign Pay is that there no other better option.. and if thats the case then it cant be more 1 year max if results arent getting better..

And thats being nice..

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: what rebuild ? It starts next year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: what rebuild ? It starts next year
The rebuild has started but recruitment that will make a difference results wise is coming for next year. We're not even half way to rebuilding to win a premiership. I hate to say it but it is what it is. Our goal next year is top eight.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I put Koroisau up there after the top hookers Smith Cook Hodgson Friend..

We need to improve our roster and spine is key.. he would have been a great addition

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
IMO the only valid reason to re-sign Pay is that there no other better option.. and if thats the case then it cant be more 1 year max if results arent getting better..

And thats being nice..
Agree. We can't be planning long term with 12 month extensions....that's no kind of plan under any circumstances.

Board has to weigh up if he is good enough and has the vision to do anything meaningful with 3-4 better players next year and can he sustain that for 2-3 years after that towards a premiership.

With his lack of vision and inability to get even the basic structures and gameplan executed by his players, recognise the most talented and their correct positions, then I sadly can't see us, or Dean, taking that extra step up to being competitive, let alone challenging for Top 4.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

And thats being nice..
I can't see how or why they would re-sign him personally but they have to make a decision either way very soon.