Opinion The 'Rebuild' Is A Disaster

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
In my mind having been told for the past 2-3 years that 2021 is back to business year, unless there's atleast 7 to 8 more signings including marquee for next year then it's a massive, epic failure!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pay and the board took over, inherited a mess and we all acknowledge that a rebuild was required.

Now two, going on three years later we're in need of another rebuild.. Somehow we have no stand out young stars who have been developed properly during that time to show for it when developing young talent was supposed to be their focus.

There are a lot of questions left unanswered, but the longer the club let Pay just completely destroy what little shred of appeal the club has left, the more you worry about the state of the club moving forward.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This would have been easier to cop if we had saved cap space for exceptional players who became available and used the remaining spots with juniors. Would we really be worse off by promoting Doorey, Topine, Gray, Kalache, Harper & Katoa?
These guys are not even getting match fitness due to the fact that there are no games other than NRL being played.So they will come in if needed cold and if they don't set the world on fire will not be picked again. Never will get the chance to be developed as a first grader at the Dogs at least.....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im a little more optimistic for next year - teams can be turned around if money is available - there are NO excuses for next year - if the admin have been honest the money/ positions will be available for next year - then it is up to admin to get the right players. I understand that there may not be many high quality players on the market but contracts mean little. The squad should be significantly different next year.

The current squad is weak - its not even average - its just weak. I cant see any, apart from Foran when fit who would get a start in the top 10 teams - maybe bench players. Most are NSW Cup standard.
Absolutely right. And people on here keep hoping for miracles with the group of players we have.
There's not a coach in existence who could transform this lot. There was a plan to not resign quite a lot of them, but sadly
there is no real improvements available. So we might just be stuck with them.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. The young guys aren't getting quality minutes
2. We're persisting with 3 duds in the spine Lewis, JMK & DWZ
3. Pay is coach
4. Players out of position
5. We let go of CHN. Britt & Stimson step in lol

Please add to the list of things that are not right in this so called 'rebuild'. Or add positives if you disagree and think that the rebuild is on the right track.
Mate we will not win a game with Lewis in our squad. DWZ isn’t a full back, he can’t create anything. Averillo has to play full back he has good hands and speed. Wakeham is a smart half back just needs time. Dragons will win easily. Foran won’t make a difference. No attack at all.
He had 3 years to make some recruiting but failed in some quality players. He signed a winger as a fullback. He’s times up. I can’t see any attack this year at all. Dragons will win comfortably.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These guys are not even getting match fitness due to the fact that there are no games other than NRL being played.So they will come in if needed cold and if they don't set the world on fire will not be picked again. Never will get the chance to be developed as a first grader at the Dogs at least.....
The current situation sucks for them because they don’t even have reserve grade footy to stake their claim. My point was why we didn’t utilise players like that instead of recruiting players from other clubs who aren’t doing great anyway?

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Problem is the board and club want quality men with values .That has merit and is good in practice but does not always equate to quality players that will change the team.
We have not gone for 1 player with even a smidgen of x factor ,speed or out and out superstar .
We have the roll your sleeve up grinding all round good guys but we need dynamic players and an injection of class and speed .
Jerome hughes ,Papenhausen ,ponga ,jerome luai type of players .
As well as a good hooker .
Put some guys in like this coupled with wakeham ,averilo ,bailey ondo and we ooze fresh exciting group .
Also pays coaching has not evolved and dont look like it will sadly enough .

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate we will not win a game with Lewis in our squad. DWZ isn’t a full back, he can’t create anything. Averillo has to play full back he has good hands and speed. Wakeham is a smart half back just needs time. Dragons will win easily. Foran won’t make a difference. No attack at all.
He had 3 years to make some recruiting but failed in some quality players. He signed a winger as a fullback. He’s times up. I can’t see any attack this year at all. Dragons will win comfortably.
I think placing Averillo on the bench is strategic! If Foran goes down we have Averillo ready to take the role. I agree with the winger as a fullback. But who else in this squad will garentee a Better result? Hopa maybe, but unfortunately his speed has gone. The changes we have made are not great don’t get me wrong. But with money in sport you get the gold. No matter the sport. We are getting some next year. And it will probably take another year to lock quality players in. The items in the clubs control now is structure and processes. Mentoring in week areas and support for those still around to develop the weekness to a break even or strength this making is well rounded team with solid players some stars and youth coming through! We all support the same club and need to get behind it together in this tough time. Not leave it or abuse it. If you owned a business would you talk it down or up?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The current situation sucks for them because they don’t even have reserve grade footy to stake their claim. My point was why we didn’t utilise players like that instead of recruiting players from other clubs who aren’t doing great anyway?
It is like we pick up the leftovers from other clubs or help them by taking players off their hands that want out at their current clubs.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
#Cleanup and #Cleanout

We always have to start from the top an work down if we want this so called rebuild..

coach - gone

deadwood - gone

just gone lol.!!!

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay has been left with a headache des left for someone to deal with.
I dont blame dean for the way things are, but a few things on field puzzle me.
That said, why would you sign an untried coach to re build a mess.

Shit starts at the top, nothing but a proven heavy hitter should have been signed instead of pay, we should have been ramping up for a rebuilt talented roster right now, instead we are 2 seasons in , and in a worse position than when des left.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is the board and club want quality men with values .That has merit and is good in practice but does not always equate to quality players that will change the team.
We have not gone for 1 player with even a smidgen of x factor ,speed or out and out superstar .
We have the roll your sleeve up grinding all round good guys but we need dynamic players and an injection of class and speed .
Jerome hughes ,Papenhausen ,ponga ,jerome luai type of players .
As well as a good hooker .
Put some guys in like this coupled with wakeham ,averilo ,bailey ondo and we ooze fresh exciting group .
Also pays coaching has not evolved and dont look like it will sadly enough .
Mate with all due respect we havent even done a good job getting quality men with good values if thats what they are trying to do. Mad monday. Chn and okunbor.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can’t continue to blame previous management when the current crew have signed duds for the last 2 years. Saying you are aiming for 2021 is as empty as Phil Gould’s 5 year plan
I don't agree with the Napa signing. It was a panic signing to replace Klemmer. AFB was available. I agree with re-signing DWZ even tho he should be a winger. Besides that like I said we've signed opportunists and rejects (DWZ and Napa were both rejects). It's nothing like the Panthers and Gould. Our current team is two to three million under the salary cap due to our past management and that isn't debatable. Next year if we get everything right we can be a top eight team. It's going to be a long time before we're top four or winning the premiership. Name that plan whatever you like but that's what's going to happen unless we're VERY lucky. I don't see us winning a premiership until 2024 at least (and that's if everything goes right).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate with all due respect we havent even done a good job getting quality men with good values if thats what they are trying to do. Mad monday. Chn and okunbor.
But where did this whole 'good humans' thing come from? It was from the garbage article about McCullough last week and nowhere else.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with the Napa signing. It was a panic signing to replace Klemmer. AFB was available. I agree with re-signing DWZ even tho he should be a winger. Besides that like I said we've signed opportunists and rejects (DWZ and Napa were both rejects). It's nothing like the Panthers and Gould. Our current team is two to three million under the salary cap due to our past management and that isn't debatable. Next year if we get everything right we can be a top eight team. It's going to be a long time before we're top four or winning the premiership. Name that plan whatever you like but that's what's going to happen unless we're VERY lucky. I don't see us winning a premiership until 2024 at least (and that's if everything goes right).
I don’t know if you are trolling or being serious sometimes? Unless you work for the club or the NRL you have no actual knowledge of the club’s salary cap position so it is definitely ‘up for debate‘.
My point which must have gone over your head wasn’t that we are like the Panthers. It’s a running joke about Phil Gould’s 5 year plan to turn Penrith into a powerhouse that didn’t eventuate after 9 years. It was a statement that they couldn’t back up and became nothing more than false hope for the fan base.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t know if you are trolling or being serious sometimes? Unless you work for the club or the NRL you have no actual knowledge of the club’s salary cap position so it is definitely ‘up for debate‘.
My point which must have gone over your head wasn’t that we are like the Panthers. It’s a running joke about Phil Gould’s 5 year plan to turn Penrith into a powerhouse that didn’t eventuate after 9 years. It was a statement that they couldn’t back up and became nothing more than false hope for the fan base.
We're still carrying players on back ended deals, paying players to play elsewhere and we're going to get rid of deadwood. I believe that's two to three million. Why do you think we have money for 2021? If you don't think our salary cap has been scuffed for multiple years you've been living under a rock. This is going over your head, it isn't comparable to the Panthers because they didn't try and play to a ~11m salary cap which didn't exist. I really don't want to repeat myself, but like I said we will have enough salary cap to sign three to four more top players which if we recruit the right ones will make us a top eight team. Re-read my posts if you want to know the rest... (If we F up recruitment everything is delayed three years...). I'm serious and you're out of touch with the situation we're in.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Many threads, sad time to be a Dogs supporter.
The game has changed massively and for the better I think. Our shortcomings have been amplified. We have no skillset. The team looks lost. I didnt expect much last weekend but that was just horrible. I actually cant believe how amateur we are for a first grade NRL team.
We were bunched 15mins in. Sias so many things, lack of discipline being 1. No cohesion, no focus and sucking in air are others that come to mind.
Why do I get the feeling that 3-4 good signing arent going to make much of a difference. Look at DWZ, he is declining. He should be gunning it. I think this is way more than simply Pay. There is something seriously wrong with training and coaching. Thats not my opinion, watch the games. Every club had to deal with covid so thats no excuse. Some teams played out of their skins last weekend.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Many threads, sad time to be a Dogs supporter.
The game has changed massively and for the better I think. Our shortcomings have been amplified. We have no skillset. The team looks lost. I didnt expect much last weekend but that was just horrible. I actually cant believe how amateur we are for a first grade NRL team.
We were bunched 15mins in. Sias so many things, lack of discipline being 1. No cohesion, no focus and sucking in air are others that come to mind.
Why do I get the feeling that 3-4 good signing arent going to make much of a difference. Look at DWZ, he is declining. He should be gunning it. I think this is way more than simply Pay. There is something seriously wrong with training and coaching. Thats not my opinion, watch the games. Every club had to deal with covid so thats no excuse. Some teams played out of their skins last weekend.
It really depends who they are and what positions they play in (e.g. spine players). I think we have to be aggressive in the market towards contracted players. DWZ looks like Panthers DWZ. I believe we'll get a top coach once we have the roster (similar to the Knights, but hopefully someone like Flanagan).

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It really depends who they are and what positions they play in (e.g. spine players). I think we have to be aggressive in the market towards contracted players. DWZ looks like Panthers DWZ. I believe we'll get a top coach once we have the roster (similar to the Knights, but hopefully someone like Flanagan).
We cant even sign available players.
In regards to coachs, theres a whole planet. Surley there is somone. Broncos and Souths got it done. It was a shit storm but they got it done and a year earlier( i could be wrong on that ). I hear Belemy wants out but didnt he sit down with the Broncs at one stage to have a chat 2 years ago. I have little faith at the moment and Im sick of living on hopes and salary cap dreams.