Opinion The 'Rebuild' Is A Disaster

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think placing Averillo on the bench is strategic! If Foran goes down we have Averillo ready to take the role. I agree with the winger as a fullback. But who else in this squad will garentee a Better result? Hopa maybe, but unfortunately his speed has gone. The changes we have made are not great don’t get me wrong. But with money in sport you get the gold. No matter the sport. We are getting some next year. And it will probably take another year to lock quality players in. The items in the clubs control now is structure and processes. Mentoring in week areas and support for those still around to develop the weekness to a break even or strength this making is well rounded team with solid players some stars and youth coming through! We all support the same club and need to get behind it together in this tough time. Not leave it or abuse it. If you owned a business would you talk it down or up?
If people aren't buying the stock on your shelves, you tell them you will get new stock one day, but they have to be patient; and see how long you remain in business.
The game is a business, and it will be run like one. If you want to go out of business, just keep doing what you're doing.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A Club should never have to rebuild in the NRL. There is always some vets to sign that can make you semi competitive each season. To challenge it’s about the juniors you develop

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely right. And people on here keep hoping for miracles with the group of players we have.
There's not a coach in existence who could transform this lot. There was a plan to not resign quite a lot of them, but sadly
there is no real improvements available. So we might just be stuck with them.
That's Looser talk ;)

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol "Rebuild" the fucking joint is ground zero ATM

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Should he tighten it up then if it’s loose?
You lost you're sense of humour again Dink with the spelling/grammar rebukes that go on here ( ;) )

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst the cap situation is bad , I think it’s overblown . I don’t think any players that left still being paid , only one move on was mbye, Reynolds contract was up , Klemperer left for more . Woods took a paycut , Graham only had a year left , Morris twins out of contract .

now look at the side , who is let from des era , forwards tolman, Elliott , Jackson . I believe last 2 have re signed since . Backs hoppa , maybe smith and Foran signed by dib .
Even with them being overpayed , the cap is 10m can still buy players

the rest are all pay signings , they could have signed up a couple of quality players this year and had rest of team made up of juniors . But the only signings have really been rejects and juniors not getting a go.

there is no way that the club will be able to do mass quality signings for next year , one they don’t seem to be in the hunt and two other clubs always looking for talent , look at the tigers during last offseason that had a war chest and were after anyone and everyone and struggled to get the ones they did as the top tier clubs were also chasing remaining quality on market and again will happen this year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whilst the cap situation is bad , I think it’s overblown . I don’t think any players that left still being paid , only one move on was mbye, Reynolds contract was up , Klemperer left for more . Woods took a paycut , Graham only had a year left , Morris twins out of contract .

now look at the side , who is let from des era , forwards tolman, Elliott , Jackson . I believe last 2 have re signed since . Backs hoppa , maybe smith and Foran signed by dib .
Even with them being overpayed , the cap is 10m can still buy players

the rest are all pay signings , they could have signed up a couple of quality players this year and had rest of team made up of juniors . But the only signings have really been rejects and juniors not getting a go.

there is no way that the club will be able to do mass quality signings for next year , one they don’t seem to be in the hunt and two other clubs always looking for talent , look at the tigers during last offseason that had a war chest and were after anyone and everyone and struggled to get the ones they did as the top tier clubs were also chasing remaining quality on market and again will happen this year
It isn't overblown. It's the reason why we don't have a competitive squad compared to almost every team in the NRL. It's the difference between what we have now and having an extra three to four top players. Back ended contracts, paying players to play elsewhere and carrying deadwood. This is the last year of it. We have strictly signed rejects and opportunists up until this point. Pay is coach but if you think he has a major say in recruitment you're kidding yourself. We have a recruitment team. If you think we will not be able to sign top players for next year (money/salary cap wise) you're out of touch with the situation we've been in. We have to pay overs (like every bottom team). We have to go for players still on contract because for whatever reason we've waited too long to get into the transfer market and there isn't much available (there are still some good players just not spine players which we need). We have to spend ~95% of our salary cap going into 2021 so we're going to be forced to sign players one way or another (or front load contracts, but why?).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
All the dot points already mentioned are correct.

Even though we are a reserve grade standard team at best I also believe if the players were atleast playing in their proper positions we would be slightly better.

I can't make any sense out of the chopping, changing, benching, dropping of particularly the spine players. Every single one of them would have no confidence out of how they have been handled.

Pay is Bi-polar I think.
E.g. (before you say anything, who the player is doesn't matter, it's what we're paying them)
1. Munster ~1.1m
2. DWZ ~500k
3. Averillo ~200k
4. Hopoate ~500k
5. Reimis ~200k
6. Keary ~1m
7. Wakeham ~200k
8. Thompson ~800k
9. B. Smith ~700k
10. Napa ~600k
11. RFM ~200k
12. Jackson ~600k
13. Elliott ~400k

14. JMK ~200k
15. To'omaga ~200k
16. Britt ~200k
17. C. Smith ~200k

Salary cap ~7.8m/9.9m
18-30 ~162k (minimum wage 115k)

How can we add Munster, Keary, Thompson and B. Smith (~3.6m) to our team if we're not 2-3m "under the salary cap"? These are what I believe players will be on (not 100% obviously, but it's thereabouts and it's enough to prove my point that we'll have 2-3m to spend for 2021).

If you want to disregard this (because you're oblivious to the situation we're in) please tell me where the salary cap is then if it isn't currently tied up in back ended deals, paying players to play elsewhere or deadwood. Maybe it isn't "facts" but it's the best educated guess you'll ever get.
Some of your figures on JMK, SMITH etc seem light on. Have you forgotten how generous we are with overpaying :grinning:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Some of your figures on JMK, SMITH etc seem light on. Have you forgotten how generous we are with overpaying :grinning:
Some are debatable but I'm sure there are some that go either way (slightly too much, slightly too little). There is no way I'm off by 1.6m tho therefore my point that we're 2-3m under the salary cap is correct. There will also be players in the 18-30 on minimum wage, 115k, which would leave more money in the cap too.

Last edited:

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
I've only got one question. Which outstanding talent would sign with our team without knowing who will be the coach next season (assuming its not Pay) and what players we are likely to add over the next season or so?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've only got one question. Which outstanding talent would sign with our team without knowing who will be the coach next season (assuming its not Pay) and what players we are likely to add over the next season or so?
Almost anyone we want if we pay overs (some players more than others and it depends how much they're currently on or can get elsewhere), especially if they are off contract. Everyone has their price. We just have to do it for the right players and not pay "overs on overs", e.g. Ben Hunt and Dragons. No top talent will sign with us for what they're worth. Any rejects or opportunists with the same offers (money and opportunity) from better teams will also not sign with us for what they're worth (unless location is a factor, which doesn't include the rest of Sydney clubs imo). The Knights recruited top players with Nathan Brown as their coach. Knights also finished wooden spooners the season before (Pearce, Ponga, etc.).

Last edited:

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
We won't sign anyone. The money is not everything. There have been some targets who have flatly said no way, not at any price. Do you think Api Koroisau wasn't offered massive overs but still chose Penrith for significantly less?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won't sign anyone. The money is not everything. There have been some targets who have flatly said no way, not at any price. Do you think Api Koroisau wasn't offered massive overs but still chose Penrith for significantly less?
I don't think Koroisau was offered overs. I think we tried to sign Koroisau for what he was worth, something in the ~400-500k range. Ramien's another one. I've also heard he signed with the Panthers for more money (at least it was the same) and that's why he backflipped last second. Panthers are a realistic chance of making the finals, we were expected to come second last this year. Why would you sign with us for the same amount of money? Players pick 1: success or 2: money. Everyone has their price regardless of success.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It’s actually the opposite. Panthers trumped Dogs by $100k and his relationship with Barrett also sealed the deal. Everything is not as it seems...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He absolutely did not join Penrith on significantly less lol. I also suspect that the club is paying DWZ more than they offered Api, if that's is actually true then there's massive problems at the club.