The "R U OK ?" Thread

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wonder with wtf is going down with the economy how the average Joe's gonna do ?

Reckon RUOK is gonna be real important in the next few months.
I'll probably just die early or something :tearsofjoy:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Overall, not too bad, thanks. Had Chemo on Wednesday. Was OK on the day, but it knocks me around a bit with nausea and fatigue for 2-3 days afterwards. I'm in that phase at the moment. Have to take some pill during this time that is supposed to counteract the nausea etc., but is causes insomnia, so I was awake most of last night. Can't taste food or drink either, which is a bit sad. Oh well, the fight continues...
Is nausea tablet the "wafer" one you put under your tounge?

If it's not I recommend you asking for them. They were the only ones that worked for me when I had my chemo sessions.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Feel like a bit of a selfish bastard for posting when others are going through worse. But feeling a mixture of seething resentment at the world/myself at present.

Not long got back from a months holiday and straight back to my shitty dead end job where I work with a fucking lazy moron of a woman who has it in for me. Was on the verge of telling her to get fucked over a build up of minor shit a couple of days ago. Mostly the fact that she doesn't do her job and it gets dumped on me to fill the gaps she leaves. Spoke to the boss about it and she says Karen is pissing her off too with outright denial that she's not doing shit she's meant to. But boss lady says it's pointless to argue with her. Basically she's spent 10 plus years enabling Karen with this attitude because Karen gives a sob story of her former abusive relationship whenever she's in shit.

So right now I kind of despise myself for not getting the fuck out of this job. I despise my generally likeable boss for not having the cahoneys to fuck Karen off or at least fucking tell her she's on thin ice and can't treat others like shit despite the fact that she's supposedly been in a shit relationship. Still have a couple of things I like about the job (namely that I generally have a knack for making the nursing home residents laugh daily). But otherwise I just feel a bit like I need to chuck all this shit in and move back closer to the area most of my family nest in.

I have clarity of thought on this, but also reluctant to move away from the area I'm living in n because my sister here has depression issues that she won't talk to her adult kids about.

So a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for me. I know that moving away still wouldn't necessarily give me a career trajectory or that I'd fall into a happier workplace. It would put me closer to the rest of the family, but again I'd feel like I'm letting my sister here down.

Right now I've spent the best part of the night awake trying to shut down the fucking brain. Starting a 4 day weekend with a sleepless night and the feeling that I really don't want to be in this **** of a mood anymore this week is giving me a fucking headache as well.

Again, feel like a selfish prick bringing it up. Hope the new bub is bringing you some joy Hacky. I admire the brave outlook you seem to have Bulldog Wrestler (and was pleased to see you popping up again the jokes pages mate). And I hope things are going better at home South of heaven.

Going to get dressed now and wake the dog up for a walk. At least he'll think it's Christmas.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Overall, not too bad, thanks. Had Chemo on Wednesday. Was OK on the day, but it knocks me around a bit with nausea and fatigue for 2-3 days afterwards. I'm in that phase at the moment. Have to take some pill during this time that is supposed to counteract the nausea etc., but is causes insomnia, so I was awake most of last night. Can't taste food or drink either, which is a bit sad. Oh well, the fight continues...
Sounds very tough my man..but every post you make it’s always clear you are one heck of a fighter..unbelievable actually.. Cancer has chosen one tough adversary..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Feel like a bit of a selfish bastard for posting when others are going through worse. But feeling a mixture of seething resentment at the world/myself at present.

Not long got back from a months holiday and straight back to my shitty dead end job where I work with a fucking lazy moron of a woman who has it in for me. Was on the verge of telling her to get fucked over a build up of minor shit a couple of days ago. Mostly the fact that she doesn't do her job and it gets dumped on me to fill the gaps she leaves. Spoke to the boss about it and she says Karen is pissing her off too with outright denial that she's not doing shit she's meant to. But boss lady says it's pointless to argue with her. Basically she's spent 10 plus years enabling Karen with this attitude because Karen gives a sob story of her former abusive relationship whenever she's in shit.

So right now I kind of despise myself for not getting the fuck out of this job. I despise my generally likeable boss for not having the cahoneys to fuck Karen off or at least fucking tell her she's on thin ice and can't treat others like shit despite the fact that she's supposedly been in a shit relationship. Still have a couple of things I like about the job (namely that I generally have a knack for making the nursing home residents laugh daily). But otherwise I just feel a bit like I need to chuck all this shit in and move back closer to the area most of my family nest in.

I have clarity of thought on this, but also reluctant to move away from the area I'm living in n because my sister here has depression issues that she won't talk to her adult kids about.

So a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for me. I know that moving away still wouldn't necessarily give me a career trajectory or that I'd fall into a happier workplace. It would put me closer to the rest of the family, but again I'd feel like I'm letting my sister here down.

Right now I've spent the best part of the night awake trying to shut down the fucking brain. Starting a 4 day weekend with a sleepless night and the feeling that I really don't want to be in this **** of a mood anymore this week is giving me a fucking headache as well.

Again, feel like a selfish prick bringing it up. Hope the new bub is bringing you some joy Hacky. I admire the brave outlook you seem to have Bulldog Wrestler (and was pleased to see you popping up again the jokes pages mate). And I hope things are going better at home South of heaven.

Going to get dressed now and wake the dog up for a walk. At least he'll think it's Christmas.
All problems are relative..and you have been putting up with Karen for ages so no wonder its getting you down..no shame in that.

However, I wanna call you out on something, you describe your current employment as a ‘shitty dead end job’..any person who cares for others is not in a dead end job..any person who gets people who live in a nursing home to laugh or smile is job that is not a dead end job..

I have been in situations where I’m under complete care of others..and it’s not a great feeling to always be relying on others.. however when those who are caring for you put a smile on your face..carers don’t realise just how important that is.. it gives you back a little bit of humanity … that little bit of interaction you don’t feel like a piece of furniture you feel like a person again..and that is what you are doing..your work is priceless mate..of unfathomable importance..

You also are reluctant to move because of your sister’s depression..because by the sound of it you are the only one she trusts with it..this alone tells me the quality of a person you are..my sister has done the same by staying with me to help look after me..I once said to my uncle she is one in a billion, he said no, there IS no other like her.. Well I bet your sister feels the same about you ..

Mate I have read your posts in here for years, you are a quality human being, selfless in the help you give to others..i don’t think you give yourself enough credit for it.. I know Karen must drive you to the point of feeling it all worthless..well from being on the other end of being cared for you don’t realise how many lives you touch for the good..

Hang in there bud..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All problems are relative..and you have been putting up with Karen for ages so no wonder its getting you down..no shame in that.

However, I wanna call you out on something, you describe your current employment as a ‘shitty dead end job’..any person who cares for others is not in a dead end job..any person who gets people who live in a nursing home to laugh or smile is job that is not a dead end job..

I have been in situations where I’m under complete care of others..and it’s not a great feeling to always be relying on others.. however when those who are caring for you put a smile on your face..carers don’t realise just how important that is.. it gives you back a little bit of humanity … that little bit of interaction you don’t feel like a piece of furniture you feel like a person again..and that is what you are doing..your work is priceless mate..of unfathomable importance..

You also are reluctant to move because of your sister’s depression..because by the sound of it you are the only one she trusts with it..this alone tells me the quality of a person you are..my sister has done the same by staying with me to help look after me..I once said to my uncle she is one in a billion, he said no, there IS no other like her.. Well I bet your sister feels the same about you ..

Mate I have read your posts in here for years, you are a quality human being, selfless in the help you give to others..i don’t think you give yourself enough credit for it.. I know Karen must drive you to the point of feeling it all worthless..well from being on the other end of being cared for you don’t realise how many lives you touch for the good..

Hang in there bud..
Thank you. Huge compliments in there and I appreciate every word. I'm basically a kitchen hand here and the parts of the job I enjoy takes up about 1-2% of the day. But yeah. I am being a bit of a sad sack about this. Just worked a 9 day stretch with the stress of the she devil thrown in close to the end so needed to vent a bit. Feeling better after making the dogs morning with an impromptu 2 hour walk and sharing a silverside (his favourite meat) sandwich also. He's now curled up asleep on my lap recharging my tank.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thank you. Huge compliments in there and I appreciate every word. I'm basically a kitchen hand here and the parts of the job I enjoy takes up about 1-2% of the day. But yeah. I am being a bit of a sad sack about this. Just worked a 9 day stretch with the stress of the she devil thrown in close to the end so needed to vent a bit. Feeling better after making the dogs morning with an impromptu 2 hour walk and sharing a silverside (his favourite meat) sandwich also. He's now curled up asleep on my lap recharging my tank.
All deserved mate..all deserved…

Mmm silverside..Sounds grand..you ever baked it?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds very tough my man..but every post you make it’s always clear you are one heck of a fighter..unbelievable actually.. Cancer has chosen one tough adversary..
I am going to try and fight on for as long as I can. Whether I have 3 months left, or 3 years, or 30 years, or more, I am at peace with that at the moment.

The most depressed I get, is when I am in a hospital ward, or the cancer clinic, and I see many people far worse than I presently am. I wonder if that's my future. But, it also encourages me to keep going - as those people seem to be doing their best to do.

The support and encouragement I get from others, including in this forum, helps a lot. I am always grateful for that.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am going to try and fight on for as long as I can. Whether I have 3 months left, or 3 years, or 30 years, or more, I am at peace with that at the moment.

The most depressed I get, is when I am in a hospital ward, or the cancer clinic, and I see many people far worse than I presently am. I wonder if that's my future. But, it also encourages me to keep going - as those people seem to be doing their best to do.

The support and encouragement I get from others, including in this forum, helps a lot. I am always grateful for that.
Much deserved bud.. One thing I’ve learnt, is take it day by day..that’s all you can do..and I’m sure I speak for all..your Kennel brothers..and sisters..are with you every step of your journey..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Youve mentioned a couple of times in posts you work many days on end. You also mentioned your job is a shitty dead end job.
I know for myself, I couldnt work more than 5 days in a row somewhere where I wasnt enjoying it. Been there, done that. Others are wired different and thats not a concern for them.
I find I can be more tolerant of co-workers that I might not get along with great when I dont spend as much time with them. Im also not as invested with a company when Im not there all the time. By that I dont mean I dont perform my duties to the best of my ability, I take pride in my work. I just dont care for dickheads and office politics but its not uncommon in the workplace.

Youve mentioned shit at work keeps you awake at night leading into your days off.
I dont get payed for thinking of shit at work outside of work. There is millions of jobs on this planet. Location, job opportunities are valid points and sometimes Ive had to work at places I didnt want to for those and other reasons.

Truth is work is a massive part of our lives. Some live to work. Not me so I need to balance things differently.

Have you considered if there was an option to work less days in a row? Do you think that would be a better balance for you? Is it a requirement where you work to work 7+ days in a row? Could you handle working with dickheads easier?(you said this shit keeps you up at night).

Perhaps you love working many days in a row. I dont know your situation, just some considerations if you choose to think on them.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Youve mentioned a couple of times in posts you work many days on end. You also mentioned your job is a shitty dead end job.
I know for myself, I couldnt work more than 5 days in a row somewhere where I wasnt enjoying it. Been there, done that. Others are wired different and thats not a concern for them.
I find I can be more tolerant of co-workers that I might not get along with great when I dont spend as much time with them. Im also not as invested with a company when Im not there all the time. By that I dont mean I dont perform my duties to the best of my ability, I take pride in my work. I just dont care for dickheads and office politics but its not uncommon in the workplace.

Youve mentioned shit at work keeps you awake at night leading into your days off.
I dont get payed for thinking of shit at work outside of work. There is millions of jobs on this planet. Location, job opportunities are valid points and sometimes Ive had to work at places I didnt want to for those and other reasons.

Truth is work is a massive part of our lives. Some live to work. Not me so I need to balance things differently.

Have you considered if there was an option to work less days in a row? Do you think that would be a better balance for you? Is it a requirement where you work to work 7+ days in a row? Could you handle working with dickheads easier?(you said this shit keeps you up at night).

Perhaps you love working many days in a row. I dont know your situation, just some considerations if you choose to think on them.
Main thing is they have difficulties keeping staff numbers up. I'm not accepting shifts at short notice often since my holiday. Just realised it had me feeling pretty run down. So they've just started rostering me on more instead of last minute call ins. But work weariness no doubt reduces my ability to just tolerate dickheads. Perhaps it's time to tell them I'm not doing 1 day weekends anymore.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

No reason to feel selfish. Everyone is going through their own struggles and everyone is important.

A shit job can be the death of you. Don't let it control your life. I have been in that situation at work too many times and you need to get out if you want to survive. I know it's hard because it's not easy to find work that pays well, but it can't hurt to put the feelers out and see what's available. There's always a chance you'll find something you actually enjoy.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I worked as a kitchen hand/cook and eventually became a chef. Left that life about 10 years back and would never go back. As much as I love cooking, the kitchen is the most stressful environment I've ever worked in because there's never a real chain of command and there's masses of conflict every day because everyone is working shitty hours in a hot kitchen with everyone blaming each other for any fuck up.

One of the chefs I worked with early on was telling me about how he got called up for jury duty and the case turned out to be a cook who killed another cook over a kitchen dispute. The chef said that he immediately had to recuse himself because every person who had ever worked in a restaurant kitchen, has been in that situation where they could just pick up a knife and be done.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never baked silverside. I go the lazy route and just toss it in the slow cooker. Just cover with water and leave it on low for 6-8 hours. That generally leaves it so tender you could cut it with a tissue.
Where are our invites to dinner.

Last edited: