Boxing The Boxing Thread

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching some old Ricardo mayorga highlights lol that **** was a fucking loose unit

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Marlboro Man lol....couldn't really box for shit but was tuff as the come and always was in fun fights.
He just didn't give a fuck lol starts to punch himself in the head because he is not getting hit hard enough lol he did have some punching power the **** retired at 46 if he had discipline could of been bigger .probably not drinking a few litres of spirits and chain smoking at training might of helped lol.
Bless him for being a fucking lunatic

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gallen calls Huni a 'quitter' after World Championships incident

Written By
Brendan Bradford
(SportingNews Australia)

GalHuni.jpg

Paul Gallen has labelled Australian heavyweight champion Justis Huni a quitter after an incident at the 2019 AIBA World Championships in Russia.

A 20-year-old Olympic Games hopeful at the time, Huni had advanced to the final four of the tournament before being forced out of the semi-finals through illness.

It's an excuse that doesn't wash for Gallen, who will fight Huni on June 16 at the ICC in Sydney.

"Justis has quit. He's stopped before. He's been in the finals and not fought in the finals. He's walked off," Gallen said at Tuesday's press conference confirming the bout.

"Once you quit in life, it's in you. It's in you somewhere and at some stage, I'm going to make him quit.

"He got to the final of a world event and he walked off. He didn't face him. And once that's in you, it's always in you."

Gallen, who played the 2016 NRL Grand Final with shingles, said he couldn't understand how a fighter would walk away from a major tournament.

"When you get to the final of an international event like that, you want to have a crack - win, lose or draw," Gallen told Sporting News.

"He pulled out with a sore stomach. That's what I was told. If he was really sick, he was sick, but he never had a go. He should've had a go.

"That's in you always. If you do it once, you're gonna do it again when the heat is on you.

"Hopefully I can find that heat, put it on him and make him quit."

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The two kiwi blokes in the Gal/Huni presser were hilarious.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The two kiwi blokes in the Gal/Huni presser were hilarious.
Haha yeah sure was i was laughing the whole time those two kiwi's were at it. Now I'm going to watch their fight on the night for sure.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
E2JLA6QVIAs3AR_.jpg

Fox Sports 503 - Wednesday, 8pm AEST
Australian Champion, Justis Huni defends his title against heavyweight wildcard Christian Tsoye.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Justis Huni scores unanimous decision win over Christian Tsoye, Issac Hardman stops Robert Berridge

WRITTEN BY
BRENDAN BRADFORD
(SportingNews Australia)

E2T_W2SVEAY4Kjp.jpg

The stage was set for Justis Huni to make a statement, and the Australian heavyweight champion showed his full arsenal of skills in scoring a unanimous decision win over Christian Tsoye in Sydney on Wednesday night.

In a two-fight, media-only event, Huni didn't have it all his own way, but was levels above the rugged Tsoye as he continues his preparations for a blockbuster pay-per-view showdown with Paul Gallen in three weeks.

Showing all the poise, skill and technique that will see him head to the Olympics as a genuine medal contender, Huni dominated the opening rounds and coasted to a one-sided victory with scores of 99-91 99-91 and 98-92.

Huni's impressive jab was on show early. He slipped and countered expertly and his footwork was that of a man 30kg lighter.

The fifth was Huni's best as he looked to systematically break down Tsoye with powerful rips to the body before attacking the head.

The second half of the bout became more of a glorified sparring session as Huni eased off the pressure and got in some valuable professional rounds. His previous longest fight was his debut last year when he stopped Django Opelu in seven.

The Queenslander tried a few things over the last four rounds. He drew Tsoye into shots and countered perfectly. He fought at range at times with his hands down and let himself be cornered at others.

Tsoye rarely let up and landed a few big blows - his left hook is a real weapon - but Huni rarely looked seriously troubled.

ISSAC HARDMAN SCORES 8TH RD TKO WIN OVER ROBERT BERRIDGE

Just four weeks after a tough win over Mark Lucas in Canberra, Hardman was back in action against rugged New Zealander Robert Berridge.

Hardman took the fight on just two weeks notice, and will appear on the Huni-Gallen card in Sydney in three weeks.

The Queenslander opened a cut over southpaw Berridge's right eye by the end of the second round and dropped the former world title challenger with 15 seconds in the third.

Hardman later admitted to headhunting for the next couple of rounds as Berridge began swinging with more urgency.

"Trust a Kiwi to come out wanting a scrap," Hardman told Sporting News.

"He's a tough bloke and to have a guy like him on my record, with the guys he's been in with and beaten, is unreal."

By the final two frames of the eight-round bout, Hardman was back in his groove. A body shot had Berridge drop to his knees for the second time in the fight, and another one moments later saw referee Les Fear stop the action.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is so much focus on sideshows like Gallen when we have an Aussie fighting for an actual world title...

Forgotten man of Australian boxing ready to announce himself to the nation
Phil Lutton

By Phil Lutton
May 29, 2021 — 2.53pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Advertisement

The fighter Australia has forgotten has pledged to do something the nation’s sports fans will always remember.
George Kambosos jnr is unyielding in his belief that he can stun Teofimo Lopez to become the undisputed lightweight champion of the world on June 19.
Sydney’s Kambosos, a fiercely proud Greek-Australian with a 19-0 record, is on the verge of one of the biggest international fights so far this year as he meets boom American Lopez, a heavy-handed 16-0 slugger who took out pound-for-pound star Vasyl Lomachenko to sweep the division.
George Kambosos is putting in the work as he prepares for his shot at the undisputed lightweight title in June in Miami.

George Kambosos is putting in the work as he prepares for his shot at the undisputed lightweight title in June in Miami.CREDIT:DOMINIC LORRIMER
They will fight at Miami’s Loan Depot Park, the home of Major League’s Baseball’s Marlins in front of a crowd of almost 35,000 in a few weeks (Sunday, June 20, in Australia). Up for grabs are Lopez’s IBF, WBO, WBA and The Ring lightweight titles.

Given the stakes, the $US6 million ($7.8 million) purse (which will be split 65:35 in favour of Lopez) and the belts on the line, you could only assume it would be the talk of Australian boxing. Yet, Kambosos still manages to be a relative unknown among casual fans, who have been gorging on domestic stories about Paul Gallen, Tim Tszyu and Olympic hopeful Justis Huni.
That’s the price Kambosos has paid for basing his camps and fights overseas for the majority of his career, rather than linking with a local promoter and making a packet from the domestic pay-per-view market. Tszyu and Huni look to be going places, but Kambosos said he was already there.
Teofimo Lopez (right) on his way to victory over Vasiliy Lomachenko in October.

Teofimo Lopez (right) on his way to victory over Vasiliy Lomachenko in October.CREDIT:GETTY
“The people that matter know me,” Kambosos said. “Maybe some don’t because I’m not in the mainstream media every day. And, yes, that can get frustrating at certain points. But I’m fighting for the undisputed championships, in a Major League stadium, on a worldwide PPV.
“It doesn’t worry me about these other guys in Australia ... they’re light years away from what I’m doing. I’ve been there. I was back there four years ago. The only reason I’m back in Australia to fight is to defend my belts.
Advertisement

“I’m here to get off the plane with all the belts. Then you watch people take notice. This is massive for Australia boxing. Nobody in Australia works as hard as me.”
Kambosos is an outsider in the fight but has been a relentless road warrior throughout his career. He has based himself in a familiar gym in Miami, has his father, Jim, with him, while wife Rebecca will travel for the fight. He’s also had his Australian-based coach, Mick Akkawy, on the pads for a lead-up he says has left no stone unturned.
“I’ve been here in Miami training hard for two months now,” Kambosos said. “Camp after camp I make sacrifices. I leave home, my family, to prepare the best I can. Look where we are ... in three weeks time I will be the undisputed champion and the best fighter from Australia.”
It won’t be a lack of conditioning or confidence that beats Kambosos. He believes Lopez will be vulnerable in later rounds, even if he has crystal-clear visions of an early stoppage in his favour, and has laughed off talk from Lopez that he is looking straight through him towards his next opponent.
That simply won’t wash with the always combative Kambosos, who said he could see Lopez was shaken when they faced off during a press conference and later for a promo away from the television cameras.

RELATED ARTICLE
Christian Tsoye (right) defends himself as Justis Huni lets fly on Wednesday.
World Boxing
‘Bring on Gallen’: Huni defends Australian title against Tsoye
“He said he is looking through me, but when we faced off at the press conference, he looked away. I’m in his head,” Kambosos said. “He’s 23, [earning] millions of dollars. He’s getting paid too much, he hasn’t had to earn it the hard way.
“This is a big shock for him. He’s never seen anyone like me, someone as hungry as me, [with] as much willpower as me. We all know how Americans get; they believe their own hype. June 19, it gets settled. I’ll have his belts.”