Tackle Breaks & Possession

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Our biggest flaw is our inability to break tackles or threaten to break tackles. Curently we rank 16th.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/teams/?competition=111&season=2019&stat=29

This in my opinion comes down to a couple of things:

Strength and Conditioning
Skill of Players
Speed of the play the ball
Lines being Run

The other key stat is that despite us having the equal highest completion % with the Storm, we are 16th in possession %.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/teams/?competition=111&season=2019&stat=9

To me this means:

We fail to earn repeat sets through our kicking game
We fail to force the opposition into error with our defence
We conceed too many metres allowing the opposition to earn a repeat set by making it all the way down the field and putting in either a grubber or attacking kick which eventuates in either a repeat set from them or loose ball.

The question is, through 2/3rds of this year (not to mention last year) what has Pay done to try and resolve these glaring issues.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would add speed with the ball in hand. Running hard into the defence is what sets them back and breaks the line. With fast support runners, any break turns into effective attack.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I would add speed with the ball in hand. Running hard into the defence is what sets them back and breaks the line. With fast support runners, any break turns into effective attack.
Probably doesn't matter how fast you run though if the defence is already set and/or you have no size.

Prime example: Meaney, has speed to burn but is a twig and the forward pack always have us on the back foot with slow play the balls and not bending the defensive line

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s because we have Tolman and the outside back version of him (hoppa) taking 80% of our hit ups

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably doesn't matter how fast you run though if the defence is already set and/or you have no size.

Prime example: Meaney, has speed to burn but is a twig and the forward pack always have us on the back foot with slow play the balls and not bending the defensive line
Constant speed at the line wears down the defence; especially when it's complimented with quick ball movement and fast support runners. What sets the defence is ponderous one out ball carrying just to gain a few metres.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Constant speed at the line wears down the defence; especially when it's complimented with quick ball movement and fast support runners. What sets the defence is ponderous one out ball carrying just to gain a few metres.
I agree we lack this massively. We are way to predictable in attack, yes we complete at a high rate, but if we can't move the opposition around we can't create scoring opportunities.

And worst of all if we aren't even attempting to throw it around, what are this young side learning.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We've been doing this for 5 years at least and it hasn't changed. Why is it so hard to coach a different gameplan.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Outside of DWZ, Reimis, Hoppa, CHN, Ogden and Okunbur when he plays, we have almost no one in the squad capable of breaking tackles... Meaney is the opposite, capable of getting dominated and submitting meekly every hit up...

Which is a huge issue in such a rabble of a team which has no clue, plan or structure in attack... The only way we'll be able to score is off broken play, throwing it around and creativity. If we had more players who played off the cuff and that could break tackles and offload, we'd be more of a threat in attack...

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m enjoying this thread. Please no one destroy it with a Pay debate and excessive swearing and swearing about people’s siblings or family or name calling using penises or vaginas. If anyone wants to do this then go start another thread somewhere else

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Zero skill, not on a club wide drugs program like the top teams.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Outside of DWZ, Reimis, Hoppa, CHN and Ogden and Okunbur when he plays, we have almost no one in the squad capable of breaking tackles. Meaney is the opposite capable of getting dominated and submitting meekly every hit up.

Which is a huge issue on such a rabble of a team which has no clue, plan or structure in attack. The only was we'll be able to score is off broken play, throwing it around and creativity. If we had more players who played off the cuff and that could break tackles and offload, we'd be more of a threat in attack.
Agree, therein lies the problem, basically nobody in our forward pack threatens the line. And Hoppa is made to do too much work out of our half. We desperately need another centre, Morris left a bigger hole there than expected. I think Okunbor is our future winger, DWZ I feel should take the centre spot and we should be on the hunt for a gun fullback.

But we need big props, hooker and lock. We have a good backrower in Stimson coming which is a start.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
You have described the Dogs current performances as a limp dick that seeks a participation certificate just for existing.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The way I see it, 2 out of the 4 points raised should never have been an issue. Speed of the play the ball could be fixed if Strength and Conditioning wasnt an issue. Bigger picture, I dare say that skill of the players might be improved if S & C wasnt a problem. Brisbane rolled us with a young squad. When this team hit the paddock first game this year I thought what have they been doing all off season. Stupid me thought they should be right with a few games under there belt but it was already too late. This is first grade NRL. It should have already been executed then maintained. It was the one thing the coaching staff should have nailed knowing we were depleted of skill and experience because S & C has nothing to do with skill and experience. I didn't realize Hoppa was a forward. Its come to this....Hoppa looks to have more go forward than our forwards.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
The way I see it, 2 out of the 4 points raised should never have been an issue. Speed of the play the ball could be fixed if Strength and Conditioning wasnt an issue. Bigger picture, I dare say that skill of the players might be improved if S & C wasnt a problem. Brisbane rolled us with a young squad. When this team hit the paddock first game this year I thought what have they been doing all off season. Stupid me thought they should be right with a few games under there belt but it was already too late. This is first grade NRL. It should have already been executed then maintained. It was the one thing the coaching staff should have nailed knowing we were depleted of skill and experience because S & C has nothing to do with skill and experience. I didn't realize Hoppa was a forward. Its come to this....Hoppa looks to have more go forward than our forwards.
Haha yeah Hoppa is looking like centre of the year material around this mob

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t get me started lol.. once pay has left, the tackle breaks and possession will improve like all other areas..!! Simple :tearsofjoy:

At least the potential in players will start to show. And will see what they are capable of.. be far better than how dean has them playing anyway.!!