Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Spencer Leniu

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leniu’s Panthers exit “as good as done” as Bulldogs edge out slow-poke Dragons

The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have beaten several rival suitors including the St George Illawarra Dragons to one of the hottest free agent props, Spencer Leniu, as he prepares for his Penrith Panthers swan song.

Leniu, 22, is off-contract at the end of the 2023 NRL season and is expected to leave the Panthers due to a squeeze salary cap at the reigning champions.

While many considered the Dragons the frontrunners for the rising young prop’s valuable signature, Red V powerbrokers dragged their feet over official negotiations too much and it seems Gus Gould and the Bulldogs have swooped.

While nothing has been drawn up in ink just yet, The Sporting Base understands the Canterbury club has basically tied everything up. There’s similar mail coming out of The Western Weekender too, with trusted Panthers insider Peter Lang suggesting the 22-year-old’s move to Belmore is “as good as done.”

It’s a harsh twist for the Dragons but a big victory for the Doggies.

Leniu would be the latest Penrith star to make the move to the rebuilding Canterbury Bankstown outfit after Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Stephen Crichton, and even new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

The off-contract prop has mainly been used as a bench strike weapon by the Panthers so far in his 62-game career. He hit a highwater mark in the 2022 NRL season as the Panthers charged to a second title in as many years. He originally joined the first grade fold at the western club in 2019 after making his debut against the Sharks.

Leniu played six games for Samoan in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup just last year.

If he were to join the Bulldogs, it’s expected he would be tied up on a long-term contract. A similar deal was to be offered by the Dragons, stretching as far as 2027 with options boiled in too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just a rehash of the previous rumour they stole from @KiwiDog7.. Hopefully the deal gets over the line. He's far from the finished product, but if he reaches his potential and plays like he did in the finals more often, then he will be a great signing.

With Leniu the main question is how many minutes he can play and if he can be as impactful while playing 45-50 minutes instead of 20-25... I'm sure Ciraldo and Gus are confident he can be otherwise they wouldn't be trying to sign him.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have beaten several rival suitors including the St George Illawarra Dragons to one of the hottest free agent props, Spencer Leniu, as he prepares for his Penrith Panthers swan song.

Leniu, 22, is off-contract at the end of the 2023 NRL season and is expected to leave the Panthers due to a squeeze salary cap at the reigning champions.

While many considered the Dragons the frontrunners for the rising young prop’s valuable signature, Red V powerbrokers dragged their feet over official negotiations too much and it seems Gus Gould and the Bulldogs have swooped.

While nothing has been drawn up in ink just yet, The Sporting Base understands the Canterbury club has basically tied everything up. There’s similar mail coming out of The Western Weekender too, with trusted Panthers insider Peter Lang suggesting the 22-year-old’s move to Belmore is “as good as done.”

Leniu would be the latest Penrith star to make the move to the rebuilding Canterbury Bankstown outfit after Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Stephen Crichton, and even new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

The off-contract prop has mainly been used as a bench strike weapon by the Panthers so far in his 62-game career. He hit a highwater mark in the 2022 NRL season as the Panthers charged to a second title in as many years. He originally joined the first grade fold at the western club in 2019 after making his debut against the Sharks.

Leniu played six games for Samoan in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup just last year.

If he were to join the Bulldogs, it’s expected he would be tied up on a long-term contract. A similar deal was to be offered by the Dragons, stretching as far as 2027 with options boiled in too.
AHAHAHAHAAH “with trusted Panthers insider Peter Lang”

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Peter Lang being a trusted insider is just laughable

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will have to let someone go or Suaali'i will definitely be off to Union. If you (the collective you) had the choice who would you let go, Tedesco, Manu, Suaali'i or Keary?

Always a Bulldog
funnily enough i had a message last friday from someone who knows a bit about the goings on of player movements (i’m not professing to be in the know at all, just sharing what i was told) who said mitchell moses will return to the tigers for 24 and either teddy or sualii will be there with him. his source was isaac moses. again, not saying i’ve got any actual knowledge of this, but it was what i was told. wait and see i guess

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
funnily enough i had a message last friday from someone who knows a bit about the goings on of player movements (i’m not professing to be in the know at all, just sharing what i was told) who said mitchell moses will return to the tigers for 24 and either teddy or sualii will be there with him. his source was isaac moses. again, not saying i’ve got any actual knowledge of this, but it was what i was told. wait and see i guess
They blow the cap on Moses and Teddy. If they are paying Moses 1.5 they’d have to pay Teddy 4.5 lol

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They blow the cap on Moses and Teddy. If they are paying Moses 1.5 they’d have to pay Teddy 4.5 lol
yeah i was like ‘….what? surely not’. like i said, not my info (because i don’t have any) but interesting none the less. if tiges get the old band back together i’d say they’d definitely make the 8. have to wait and see i guess. long and the short of it though, if that mails right then there’s no need to move manu to 6 and no need to get rid of keary

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
yeah i was like ‘….what? surely not’. like i said, not my info (because i don’t have any) but interesting none the less. if tiges get the old band back together i’d say they’d definitely make the 8. have to wait and see i guess. long and the short of it though, if that mails right then there’s no need to move manu to 6 and no need to get rid of keary
id love to see the tigers get moses, we need them competitive

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will.finish 9th as per usual