Should we be worried about Barrett?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, this team is atrocious. It’s not his squad and he should be afforded season 2022 and 2023 after he has had a chance to assemble his own team.
You blokes have no idea. So I propose that the Club makes me FG Coach next season for 5 years, paying me $400G a year....but oops I wont be responsible for the first 3 years as they aren't the team I'd pick. My team includes T Terrific, N Cleary, K Korisau, A Crichton, L Mitchell, the Siafiti bros, RCG and JFH. If I don't get them...you can't blame me for not winning the comp....because my excuse will be THEY ARE NOT MY CATTLE. So you can then renew me for another 3 years....and again...don't blame me if we don't win if you can't buy the players I want.
Trust you can all see how imbecilic it is to blame the cattle, when the coach changes, makes 5 changes in cattle and we perform WORSE than we did under cut price Deano for the last 3 years.All good at Belmore. Nothing to see here. Not Barrett's fault we are shit.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
..I think David Furner should go. He was a great player but I’ve never rated him as a coach. Our D is shit! along with everything else but he can go.

This is clearly not a happy footy side...there’s something going on, the players look unhappy and some like they don’t give a shit....it’s a cop out
X100000

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The players aren't giving it their all.
When half your squad is off contract, your on the bottom and the media hammer you week in week out it's going to drag them down.
Our pack is weak, fuck sake Smith ourt edge back rower ran for 13mtrs. Our starting props ran for 200 combined. Kicking on the 1st tackle , Waddell, Smith dropping the ball. Until we get an old school Prop n hooker who doesn't play 1 out football we are never going to win shit.

Last edited:

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not biting my tongue anymore ( even though in a weird way I kind of like the pain).

Barrett has an improved roster on last year including players he personally recruited. He has a cast of thousands in his coaching team, and he had a full and uninterrupted pre-season.

And yet with all that we suck way harder than last year in every department, including in attack which is supposedly his “speciality”

To all the flops that have waffled on about defence is over rated and it’s all about attack, suck up the mess we now are.

Penrith, for all the talk about how good they are in attack are absolutely killing it in defence. They are averaging something like 8 points a game against..

That is AWESOME defence. Every premiership winning team has it, we use to be famous for our aggressive and intimidating D. Now we are fucking disgraceful, soft and the laughing stock of the NRL..

That is on Barrett, no-one else just him. He had defence issues at Manly and clearly defence was not part of his brief at Penif.

Something tells me if we had to poach an assistant from the Panthers instead of an established 1st grade coach to oversee our rebuild, we signed the wrong one......
Do you honestly think players that are one year older from last years squad such as Hoppa, Elliot, Napa, Kotao, Jackson etc have improved or after a year regressed us further into incompetence. Perhaps an explanation to explain why we haven’t improved which offsets the reason why you think we should be better this year.....

Surely we have to look at the pros and cons. At the end of the day, logical answer is Barrett needs one more season to show us what he can do with a squad he puts together?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Especially not sure about Furner. Our sliding defence is killing us. We have no line speed, no aggression, and rarely come up and in to cut off threats. It's not Bulldog like defence it's the Canberra slide. I don't think Barrett knows all that much defence wise.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You blokes have no idea. So I propose that the Club makes me FG Coach next season for 5 years, paying me $400G a year....but oops I wont be responsible for the first 3 years as they aren't the team I'd pick. My team includes T Terrific, N Cleary, K Korisau, A Crichton, L Mitchell, the Siafiti bros, RCG and JFH. If I don't get them...you can't blame me for not winning the comp....because my excuse will be THEY ARE NOT MY CATTLE. So you can then renew me for another 3 years....and again...don't blame me if we don't win if you can't buy the players I want.
Trust you can all see how imbecilic it is to blame the cattle, when the coach changes, makes 5 changes in cattle and we perform WORSE than we did under cut price Deano for the last 3 years.All good at Belmore. Nothing to see here. Not Barrett's fault we are shit.
Agreed.

A coach’s performance is measured by on field performance of players - improvement, progression etc.

The “it’s not his squad” or “let him build his squad” comments are cop outs and excuses for his lack of coaching ability. I’m not even referring to wins, I am referring to on field performance, attitude and commitment, responding to challenges etc.

I could be coaching these guys right now and you wouldn’t know the difference. Add some new high quality players and an open cheque book and of course I’ll improve. I doesn’t say much about his ability to coach.

In terms of recruits, Addo Carr will add plenty, Burton looks good, Naden is ok...

People banging on about recruiting, yeh it’s one part of it, but you need to be able to coach them...Burton has only played a handful of games, Naden is still pretty green. You need to be able to coach these guys, and in a season where players get injured, play origin, lose interest, fall in and out of form - the coach’s role in guiding the team and getting the best out of them is the difference between really good sides and inconsistent sides.

If he could coach, we’d be seeing something by now. And again, I’m not necessarily talking about wins and leading the comp - just a few simple things like progression, improvement- evidence that he is getting the best out these guys. I am not seeing it.

I think we should be worried.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed.

A coach’s performance is measured by on field performance of players - improvement, progression etc.

The “it’s not his squad” or “let him build his squad” comments are cop outs and excuses for his lack of coaching ability. I’m not even referring to wins, I am referring to on field performance, attitude and commitment, responding to challenges etc.

I could be coaching these guys right now and you wouldn’t know the difference. Add some new high quality players and an open cheque book and of course I’ll improve. I doesn’t say much about his ability to coach.

In terms of recruits, Addo Carr will add plenty, Burton looks good, Naden is ok...

People banging on about recruiting, yeh it’s one part of it, but you need to be able to coach them...Burton has only played a handful of games, Naden is still pretty green. You need to be able to coach these guys, and in a season where players get injured, play origin, lose interest, fall in and out of form - the coach’s role in guiding the team and getting the best out of them is the difference between really good sides and inconsistent sides.

If he could coach, we’d be seeing something by now. And again, I’m not necessarily talking about wins and leading the comp - just a few simple things like progression, improvement- evidence that he is getting the best out these guys. I am not seeing it.

I think we should be worried.
Spot on. I'm not seeing improvement from any of the players. Some of them like Cotric have regressed.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly we didnt even do block plays yesterday. It was a one off run for 4 tackles and 2 U12 passes through the backs with no variations or inside runs or anything. Allen getting smashed was because of exactly that play. Atoni was the only player who gave a fuck in yesterday's game

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year is a write off, we all expected it to be. Not necessarily all Trent's fault, we struggle to name 21 fit players each week due to injury and suspension and with Lewis and Allan out now, its only going to get worse. All well and good to say 'drop this player' but we haven't got anyone else to fill the spot at the moment and if we do they're reserve grade players at best. Its no wonder we're not competitive. Give him next year with a new team when we finally have some first graders in and see how he goes - if we still cant improve with next years new signings then Trent should get the tap on the shoulder but at least give him the chance

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This year is a write off, we all expected it to be. Not necessarily all Trent's fault, we struggle to name 21 fit players each week due to injury and suspension and with Lewis and Allan out now, its only going to get worse. All well and good to say 'drop this player' but we haven't got anyone else to fill the spot at the moment and if we do they're reserve grade players at best. Its no wonder we're not competitive. Give him next year with a new team when we finally have some first graders in and see how he goes - if we still cant improve with next years new signings then Trent should get the tap on the shoulder but at least give him the chance
I definitely didn't expect this year to be a write off. I expected the team to at least improve. I expected players to improve.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Success is a fair way away at the moment. When Dean Pay was coach, he had an inferior squad. He also had
little salary cap to improve the squad. Blame whoever you want for that mess.
However, the players seemed to put in for him. Not like now.
We lost a lot of games by 6 odd points. Not the blowouts like this "improved" team.
Whilst the team is inferior to the others, the biggest problem is their attitude.
I know its hard to perform when you are on the brink of being sacked, but a little effort will go a long way.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's pretty damn simple. Our forward pack just isn't up to it and Barrett needs to focus on rebuilding that. People say it's because the game has evolved your forward pack is a lot more crucial but even look at the Dogs GF Team 2014.

1 Perrett
2 Thompson
3 Morris
4 Lafai
5 Mitch Brown
6 Reynolds
7 Hodkinson
8 Tolman
9 Mbye
10 Graham
11 Jackson
12 Williams
13 Eastwood

Bench: Browne, Finucane, Klemmer, Pritchard.

I would argue based off pure skill, our current backline would perform better than that backline (yes I said it)! The forward pack was dominant, went forward and hung in the game for the full 80. Our current pack isn't capable of doing that even at full strength so TBaz needs to focus all attention on developing that for us to be competitive.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly we didnt even do block plays yesterday. It was a one off run for 4 tackles and 2 U12 passes through the backs with no variations or inside runs or anything. Allen getting smashed was because of exactly that play. Atoni was the only player who gave a fuck in yesterday's game
Yep exactly. Watch the Panthers when near the line, there is always bodies in motion, edge forwards coming off the back fence giving the halfback options - 9 times out of 10 they just run through the line and then jog back. But the defence is in two minds always. We pass the ball to a flat footed forward who trundles towards the line gets held up without even going to ground, just a big group hug, rinse repeat until the baby bomb to one contesting player. Did anyone see Luc Leilua's try for the Tigers he came off the back fence for that, if they can manage it surely we can. We have to give our attacking players something to work with we are so predictable.

The other thing I noticed yesterday is almost every set the first person would do an ineffectual shirt grab, miss and then the other players who were expecting that guy to tackle had almost turned around and started running back the 10 then realised the opposition was still coming at them. It is like they are either so gassed or couldn't care less about committing themselves to a hard around the waist tackle that could see them have to get off the ground again.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am worried about Barrett's mental health. Watching this mob go around every week knowing his career depends on their performance must be giving him night terrors...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is no way a ‘shit coach’ can attract the talent that is signing up to play with us in 2022.
It might take a year or two, but Barrett will get his men and the dogs will rise.
Like at Manly?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Baz ain't doin to well atm. But if you callin to bring back Pay go fuck yourself. You literally want to go from loser coach, to fuckin loser coach, back to fuckin loser coach