Should we be worried about Barrett?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you suggest Morris as an option. I agree that there needs to be improvement, but the fact Baz is able to sign quality is a positive sign for the rebuild. People talking about how we have an improved roster this year and how Pay was able to motivate us blah blah blah are not counting the impact of the loss of foran and the 6 again...we don't have v a nrl quality 9, 6 or 7. Very hard for any coach with our list
Yes maybe baz is better off as a motivational speaker,because so far as a coach he is a long way off the pace.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our shape isn’t that bad in attack. A few times we got numbers out wide. It’s just execution and the slowness and predictability. I’m starting to doubt Flanagan will ever come good. Burton will make a huge difference.
I agree with your comments. We had plenty of ball, at times we had a god roll. Tactically, we are horrendous. This is where I level my criticism to Barrett. We don’t have any direction out there. Is he actually “coaching” these guys? Does he know what “coaching” is?

A question for people. If our coach wasn’t a former high profile player, would people still be sympathetic to his cause?

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like he said in the post match presser. The club just has to ride it out.
The club just has to ride it out.
This is code for “I’m out of ideas, i don’t know what to do, I’ve never known what to do and if you give me more time and money to buy more players, I think I can win some games”

It’s a lottery with this guy as coach. We might win, but we are much more likely to lose.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is code for “I’m out of ideas, i don’t know what to do, I’ve never known what to do and if you give me more time and money to buy more players, I think I can win some games”

It’s a lottery with this guy as coach. We might win, but we are much more likely to lose.
Your comprehension skills must be shocking if that’s what you understood.

He was talking about the lack of players available through injury and suspension.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your comprehension skills must be shocking if that’s what you understood.

He was talking about the lack of players available through injury and suspension.
Sorry I haven’t watched the presser...I did take it as riding out the season from the post.

Off to watch the presser now

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the cattle are shit but what do they do all week at training, seriously... its not hard to practice combinations, trick plays or kick variations

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were 1 from 9 this time last year also mate.
Fair point. Thanks. I was biasing my view, in the midst of being totally dejected and frustrated at today’s game, anticipating us not winning any more games this year which is what it, tragically, is looking like. I really really hope I am wrong!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I am very worried about Baz. I can't sleep at night because Baz is unable to get these fucking plodders to win football games. I mean we all know if Bellamy, or the great Ivan Cleary, were coaching this mob we'd be on top of the ladder. FFS people need to set realistic expectations. At the start of the season I had unrealistic expectations but I then readjusted them after Rd 3 after seeing how shit we still are.

Our spine is garbage. It would have to be the worst spine in the NRL/NSW Cup. With the exception of the Tigers, every other side has at least one gun player in their spine and we have ZERO. I'm guessing that's why we struggle in attack. If we get better spine players, our attack will improve and suddenly people will be jizzing over Baz's attacking structures

The sad thing is even a depleted Dragons side has more talent than our best 17 does. That is the reality my friends. Baz is not Jesus, he can't wave a magic wand and turn plodders into first graders.

People comparing Baz to Pay is fucking hilarious too. With the new rule changes that have turned the game into touch footy how can you make a fair comparison between them. It's like comparing apples to fucking cucumbers.

On a serious note if this time next year our attack looks the same, and we're 1 from 9, then yes I will be very worried. If we have Burton and Smith in the spine and we're still unable to score a point then absolutely Baz needs to fucking go but FFS give the guy a break. Burton alone will make a HUGE difference to the side. Flanno's kicking game is shit whereas Burton's is outstanding.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm worried that the excuse of not having the right cattle might mask his incompetence as a coach.

I've never seen a bulldogs team play like they have no idea what the game plan is. Even the 08 team looked much better..... There comes a time when Barrett needs to cop some of the blame for the performances the team is dishing out.

He either needs to motivate them or build a game plan around their skills.
People think this team is better than when pay had the reigns...not true. This team is a bunch of kids who have no idea

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, at least not yet - and here's why.

Take our line up today and honestly ask yourself which players would make it into the current top 6 NRL teams starting line up ???

I would say probably maybe 2 and that's only on reputation and not current form.

Possibly Thompson & Cotric....... Possibly!!!

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
IMO, at least not yet - and here's why.

Take our line up today and honestly ask yourself which players would make it into the current top 6 NRL teams starting line up ???

I would say probably maybe 2 and that's only on reputation and not current form.

Possibly Thompson & Cotric....... Possibly!!!
It’s because they are playing so poorly as a team.

There are players in this side who clearly were good enough to play in other teams.

A winning attitude starts at the top. A strong coaching staff should bring an infectious attitude - a win at all costs attitude. One that focuses on doing the little things right. I’ve got no doubt that this side can improve. In the first half we had enough ball to win...We were camped in the opposition quarter set after set. Our players lack direction at this end. Kicking to the sides, instead of running numbers at the opposing team and looking for repeat sets. Instead we came up with poor play after poor play. In the middle, particularly in the second half, we ran one out footy at the dragons. Sorry, but this is coaching, prep and attitude. These players have potential, they are competing - they are just poorly coached.

It is the elephant in the room.

People don’t want to talk about it.

Last edited:

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
..I think David Furner should go. He was a great player but I’ve never rated him as a coach. Our D is shit! along with everything else but he can go.

This is clearly not a happy footy side...there’s something going on, the players look unhappy and some like they don’t give a shit....it’s a cop out

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I agree with your comments. We had plenty of ball, at times we had a god roll. Tactically, we are horrendous. This is where I level my criticism to Barrett. We don’t have any direction out there. Is he actually “coaching” these guys? Does he know what “coaching” is?

A question for people. If our coach wasn’t a former high profile player, would people still be sympathetic to his cause?
I’d imagine they’d run shape after shape at training. Even opposed with the nsw cup team. But at the end of the day they get out there against NRL opposition and just don’t have the time. Blame has to lie with the halves and playmakers. The good ones make time and ask questions of the defence. Flanagan should be calling the shots but he goes missing. He hardly touches the ball before the last even in good ball. We need a crafty 9 to work with burton next year. Averillo should be fullback

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
These players can't pass or catch. The team is grossly subpar. There's a few pieces that are class, but the bulk is terrible. It could take a couple of seasons to be honest, but Barrett knows what he's doing.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Put the broom through the playing roster, everyone unsigned for next year..see ya later..JAC, Burton and 10 new signings with NRL experience will make us a completely different team..Baz is aware of what’s needed to fix this shit..simply pen to paper..sign up a new team..

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is the right man for the job.
People on here talk about attack etc, but deadset we have no one bar averiilo that can break the line in the backs.
Thought the forwards played quite well in the opening stanza and we have a mountain of possession.
Unfortunately our playmaker had another shocker.
The hooker is also woeful