Should we be worried about Barrett?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s not as simple as that.

Which other coach was in charge when the 6 again rules were introduced?

We had only won 1 game at this stage last year under Pay, and that was with Tolman and Lewis somewhat tightening up the defence.

Our roster has gotten worse this year, and they’ve been exposed with the rule changes.

Players like Napa, Katoa, Allen, Waddell, even Jackson are getting left behind due to the speed of the game, and there’s nothing Barrett can do with them currently (and yes, I think he stuffed up with the Allen and Waddell signings).

There are also the injured players who are out, which doesn’t help.

Hopefully in round 11 Barrett can promote some juniors and drop underperforming players.
What well run club hands someone like Barrett the keys to 'rebuild'? We are a massive joke of a club. Absolute shambles, an absolute disgraceful joke of a club. Letting a proven failure ex-Manly dud take control of our recruitment and rebuild us. We're a complete joke right now.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone that think Barrett is:was the best option clearly have no idea. As much I want to like the guy he just isn’t a head coach. Presents well, speaks well, has a footy brain but clearly isn’t getting the best out of the team. His staff may also be his downfall, but again poor judgement on his behalf. Clearly a horrible decision but will probably have to stick with him unless a golden goose comes along. But yeah we’ll never win a comp with him in charge. I think after ‘exploiting the rules and utilising our war chest’ Barrett will get us performing around the level of the Knights (who are also victims of poor coaching/poorly ran club).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's certainly not filling me with confidence with his tactics and selections but he needs more time. Pay got three seasons. Barrett deserves at least one and a half.

At least he finally hooked Flanagan and Waddell today. I wish he'd do the same with Katoa.. More concerning is how bad the attack still looks two months into the season and how one out all of our sets are to get up the field.. An attacking coach should have us looking more cohesive than we do no matter how bad the talent is.

So Baz does deserve to take blame, he needs to change things up but he also needs more time and see if he can turn things around once Burton, Fox etc arrive.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I am not speaking nonsense, I am talking facts. 90% of this squad has been here for over 4 years. Have they done anything under Pay or Georgalilis?? No they haven't. None of the 15 other clubs aren't even in a rush to sign any off those off contract and the performances set by these parodies are showing why they haven't been considering be kept on or recruited by other clubs.
Actually, we won more games (not many) under Pay and Georgallis. Strictly speaking, while still unacceptable, we were doing better under them overall.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What well run club hands someone like Barrett the keys to 'rebuild'? We are a massive joke of a club. Absolute shambles, an absolute disgraceful joke of a club. Letting a proven failure ex-Manly dud take control of our recruitment and rebuild us. We're a complete joke right now.
You’re right.

We should have extended Pay for another 2 years.

Or maybe we can have the admin be the ones to attract talent and negotiate instead of Barrett, like the Andersons did.

Who cares that Barrett has signed Burton, JAC and Naden for next year, with Brandon Smith possibly on the way.

Seriously, which coach would you have rather signed?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’re right.

We should have extended Pay for another 2 years.

Or maybe we can have the admin be the ones to attract talent and negotiate instead of Barrett, like the Andersons did.

Who cares that Barrett has signed Burton, JAC and Naden for next year, with Brandon Smith possibly on the way.

Seriously, which coach would you have rather signed?
Hook or Holbrook

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Actually, we won more games (not many) under Pay and Georgallis. Strictly speaking, while still unacceptable, we were doing better under them overall.
You write pay won more games. But the six again rule has changed the game. And the players where not past it like Hoppa unfortunately then. I like Hoppa he is a gentleman and been a good player for us in the past but his best days in the modern game are gone. The 10 in the bin tonight was in my opionion not his fault however and the redf made a wrong call

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s the lack of basics that worry me about Barrett. The issues are obvious every game. Not moving up in defence. Too slow in attack. Cannot tackle. No pressure is put on the attacking opposition and simply walking around like Brown’s cows. The team seems to be getting worse. Still Barrett sticks with duds. Even makes them captain. I will not watch another game that includes Hopoate. I cannot believe the Dogs are so bad. I cannot see how Barrett will survive.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not biting my tongue anymore ( even though in a weird way I kind of like the pain).

Barrett has an improved roster on last year including players he personally recruited. He has a cast of thousands in his coaching team, and he had a full and uninterrupted pre-season.

And yet with all that we suck way harder than last year in every department, including in attack which is supposedly his “speciality”

To all the flops that have waffled on about defence is over rated and it’s all about attack, suck up the mess we now are.

Penrith, for all the talk about how good they are in attack are absolutely killing it in defence. They are averaging something like 8 points a game against..

That is AWESOME defence. Every premiership winning team has it, we use to be famous for our aggressive and intimidating D. Now we are fucking disgraceful, soft and the laughing stock of the NRL..

That is on Barrett, no-one else just him. He had defence issues at Manly and clearly defence was not part of his brief at Penif.

Something tells me if we had to poach an assistant from the Panthers instead of an established 1st grade coach to oversee our rebuild, we signed the wrong one......

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Major Issue with Barrett! Where are the runners? Where are the decoys? Where are the second man plays? Whose running the lines? Whose running at holes? Where is the talk in defence? Why are our markers always not standing square?

WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THESE ****** DO NOT TRAIN TOGETHER EVERY FUKN DAY!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is bullshit, we can't even put up a fight against a depleted dragons side, how we won against cronulla is beyond me, all you people that banged on about pissing Dean Pay off are to blaim for this mess, so what we have good players signed, good players can't do shit without the right players with them and the right coach, i fear for JAC will be wasted here and won't be the player he was at the storm, he should seriously stay with the storm, poor old Dean Pay had no chance to spend a dime, he also had us attacking better, defending, and winning more games, now we are stuck with this schmuck Trent Barrett who might I add has failed elsewhere as a head coach, and the guy couldn't coach a shit out of his ass, every week we are forced to suffer this mess due to previous administration, poor caching choices, at least if Dean Pay were still here we might be in a better spot, I am not a Dean Pay supporter just aware of the current situation and why we are here, from what we were as a club to this mess is very very upsetting and hard to take most weeks, as you know they are trying but can't pull it off as most are not main time NRL players, and the coach is a junior to perhaps one we should not of pursued as head coach, perhaps our heads should have been ok lets stick with Dean Pay till we find a real coach on the dam market
Holy fuck, do you know what a sentence is?
Did you miss that day in Kindergarten when they talked about how a fullstop works?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
God help us.
Mate i can deal with losing... Hell i can deal with letting this season be a trial year for the 30 man squad and get beat every game but i cannot deal with professional footballers being coached to play such shit and stupid footy against half rated teams.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baz would still go better in our halves now than the current plodders..

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We always won 1 game from 9 in the first 10 rounds under Pay's tenure and always played terrible under pay in the first 10 rounds and only played well when we had nothing to lose.

We weren't attracting players to the club and just weren't going anywhere Barrett has only been here for 9 games. We simply can't compare his and Pay's records just yet.