Scam messages

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The ATO will never contact you on the phone, so you know that it's a scam. Sometimes you'll get an SMS from them however it's all about your actions on My.Gov so you know it's legit.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree, that’s why awareness is important.

I can’t imagine you dishing up four letter words Chris, you seem too polite. Do they include hell and frig? :-).
Those good old four letter words were around when I was a kid in the 50s. One, in particular, is a universal word.

Like the saying "OK", f**k is known and used in all languages, so never think someone won't understand you if you drop that one in a foreign country.

I keep my language controlled in these forums because anyone can read them, and I like to keep it clean to encourage new readers to the Kennel.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ATO will never contact you on the phone, so you know that it's a scam. Sometimes you'll get an SMS from them however it's all about your actions on My.Gov so you know it's legit.
For sure, but a lot of older folk don't know that. Fortunately, some do not have online banking, but the scammers send them out to Western Union, or similar, to part with their savings.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep I’m careful where I leave my number and hence get very few dodgy calls and have burner mailboxes when you need to leave email details. No question that lists are sold though so it’s hard to avoid completely.
I think a lot of people don't just give out their numbers, but when clowns like Craig Kelly can get my mobile number, how hard is it to get anyone's - particularly a landline number?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think a lot of people don't just give out their numbers, but when clowns like Craig Kelly can get my mobile number, how hard is it to get anyone's - particularly a landline number?
That’s exactly right and a lot of people have been getting Kristina Keneally spam calls this week too. It’s so wrong and numbers shouldn’t be able to be used like that

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly right and a lot of people have been getting Kristina Keneally spam calls this week too. It’s so wrong and numbers shouldn’t be able to be used like that
That was Kristina? I thought it was Nicole, working part time for the ALP.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I'm liking how the PCR and RAT test cases are going down. I know we were at about 50,000 per day at one stage.
Holy shit I posted in wrong thread! Lol…bahahaha

Wahesh

Reaction score
Just got another one. It was an 08 number, so SA area code, Indian accent.

Them: Hello this is Alex from the NBN. I am calling to let you know that we are upgrading the NBN speed in your area at no cost to you, this is because we have been receiving complaints from your area about slowness. So can you please tell me how the internet speed is for you?

Me: It's fine.

Them: Fine?

Me: Yes

Them: *Hangs up*

Me: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Tuesday this week I got two calls within an hour.
Both ‘Peter from Telstra’.
I didn’t know many Indians went by Peter but I happened to meet two in an hour. Small world.
Anyway I digress…

Me: ‘How can I help you, Pete?’
Peter: ‘We want to make your internet faster’.
Me: ‘That’s very nice of you Pete, there’s just one issue with that’.
Peter: ‘Yes sir?’
Me: ‘Telstra isn’t my internet provider and if you actually worked for Telstra you’d know that, so instead do you want to tell me about your scam?’.
Peter: *** click ***

Geez Pete - and I really thought we’d bonded :-).

Wahesh

Reaction score
I got someone from "NBN Telstra" call me this morning telling me that my modem isn't running to good speed and that it was being upgraded today. I told him I'm not with Telstra, I'm with Optus, and he immediately replied "Sir, it doesn't matter who you're with, we service everyone, Telstra, Optus, Dodo blah blah blah". He wanted me to confirm my postcode and I hung up on him.

This afternoon, someone else comes back and he says "Hello sir, I believe you are the owner of this telephone" (LOL) and says that I was speaking to his colleague this morning about the aforementioned issue. He told me that my modem is running slow and they wanted me to answer a few questions. I told him there's nothing wrong with my internet speed. They kept pressing the question, I kept refusing to answer, and eventually they hung up.

Last edited: