Official Round 3 - Bulldogs vs Sea Eagles - Discussion Thread

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And possibly 2022 if some are to be believed :cry::fearscream:
Maybe. Could be a 1+1 (club favour).
Point is there’s plenty of options for 2022 if that’s what we need to explore, while there’s not for 2021.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t rate this argument whatsoever. You can’t blame the shear presence of Lewis for Wakeham knocking the ball on and kicking the ball dead.

Lewis probably overplayed his hand a little which affected Wakehams involvement levels, but still - he’s gotta make his touches count when he gets them.
I've got to disagree, Lewis over called the ball all game, played both sides of the ruck and continually came up with poor options.
Wakeham looked frustrated at the lack of opportunity with the ball then looked considerably more comfortable once Lewis was hooked.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm struggling to find the logic behind Lewis and Cogger jumping ahead of Wakeham after Lewis was benched and Cogger wasn't in the 17. Surely you agree that it's perplexing.
No argument here, I have no idea what the reason is, maybe there's more than 1 reason. I had the same question when CHN was dropped last year, I had no idea why until CHN told me (in a group with a few others). Maybe there is a valid reason for this one, but right now I don't know it.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I seem to be for ever defending Lewis which is not actually the case but here I go again - I don't think Lewis was Hooked in the sense he was removed for poor play. I feel Pay realized the game was done and thought it a good opportunity to give Wakeham some game time. There is no doubt he is our future but I think they want to ease him in. He is a little injury prone and no that big either (Preston Campbell like). Wakeham will be our regular 7 at some point. Lewis has skills that can be useful but he is not a true 7. lastly I will also say I have seen flair from Wakeham but not much else. Other than foran you could make a case at this stage for Lewis, Cogger or Wakeham to play in the halves Maybe even Averillo
Mate the look on Lewis face was that he was hooked for being shit lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've got to disagree, Lewis over called the ball all game, played both sides of the ruck and continually came up with poor options.
Wakeham looked frustrated at the lack of opportunity with the ball then looked considerably more comfortable once Lewis was hooked.
You're probably arguing with Horse? I still remember him putting Wakeham down after his Golden Boot nomination, says it all really.

Anyone that has actually seen Wakeham play in the lower grades and for Fiji should understand what type of role Wakeham is suited to playing, unfortunately for whatever reason he hasn't been given a real opportunity to actually play that role for us and instead is played away from his strengths in favour for a player that is clearly inferior to him in that role.

You're 100% right about Lewis over calling the ball and Wakeham looking frustrated, Wakeham looked to come infield multiple times and was pushed back out wide by Lewis only for him to pass the ball aimlessly to a forward for a useless play. In the lead up to the game Lewis made no secret of his disappointment in Wakeham being selected...Lewis then went on to rack up 72 (far greater than he previously had) of the most useless touches in round 1....that for me is very telling.

Anyway I'm so fucking frustrated with this shit, feels like we're going in circles with selections and roles within the team, the style of play we're seeing is not in the least bit attractive to me. Meanwhile Wakeham who is highly rated and has previously been praised by previous coaches and the likes of Freddy and Bedsy once again goes unused..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate the look on Lewis face was that he was hooked for being shit lol
1000% he was hooked. Pay even said so in the press conference after the game. Words to the effect of "He'll learn from that".

And it wasnt so much the fact he was playing shit. It was the things he was doing like no look passes and risky plays early in the tackle count that got him hooked. I reckon Pay could have put up with dropped balls and missed tackles but when he tried to be flashy he didnt like it.

Not saying I agree or disagree. I just reckon thats why he was hooked

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You're probably arguing with Horse? I still remember him putting Wakeham down after his Golden Boot nomination, says it all really.

Anyone that has actually seen Wakeham play in the lower grades and for Fiji should understand what type of role Wakeham is suited to playing, unfortunately for whatever reason he hasn't been given a real opportunity to actually play that role for us and instead is played away from his strengths in favour for a player that is clearly inferior to him in that role.

You're 100% right about Lewis over calling the ball and Wakeham looking frustrated, Wakeham looked to come infield multiple times and was pushed back out wide by Lewis only for him to pass the ball aimlessly to a forward for a useless play. In the lead up to the game Lewis made no secret of his disappointment in Wakeham being selected...Lewis then went on to rack up 72 (far greater than he previously had) of the most useless touches in round 1....that for me is very telling.

Anyway I'm so fucking frustrated with this shit, feels like we're going in circles with selections and roles within the team, the style of play we're seeing is not in the least bit attractive to me. Meanwhile Wakeham who is highly rated and has previously been praised by previous coaches and the likes of Freddy and Bedsy once again goes unused..
There's no doubt in my mind that Wakeham has the most upside as a half in our squad, although I haven't seen much of Averillo.
Seeing him play for Fiji under different coaching structures and with better quality players around him and how well he played, along with his willingness in defense for a little fella, Pay is mad for not making him a big part of our future by giving him time on the field now.
Lewis has had 20 to 30 games and aside from a few moments of class I think he's shown he's not a first grader.
Give Wakeham the 7 jersey and the keys to the team, we don't have anything to lose

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You seem to have forgotten that it has been almost 2 months since that game. It wasn't last weekend. So there could be any number of reasons why he made this decision.
You seem to have forgotten that Lewis has been horrible for a season plus and is a liability in attack. There's a reason Pay benched him in the first place.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not basing my assumption on the squad, I'm basing it on a fraud of a coach who clearly has no idea and shown no improvement over the years.
I know where you and several others are coming from, but I think the reality is the club believes he should be given a chance to coach with a vastly improved squad over the vastly inexperienced squad he’s had up to now. What any of us think doesn’t matter anyway, the decision is out of our hands and I’m simply saying I think it’s likely he’ll coach next year and those against that might as well get used to the idea. If in 12 months we have a vastly improved squad and the results don’t follow, then highly likely his cock will be on the block.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that Wakeham has the most upside as a half in our squad, although I haven't seen much of Averillo.
Seeing him play for Fiji under different coaching structures and with better quality players around him and how well he played, along with his willingness in defense for a little fella, Pay is mad for not making him a big part of our future by giving him time on the field now.
Lewis has had 20 to 30 games and aside from a few moments of class I think he's shown he's not a first grader.
Give Wakeham the 7 jersey and the keys to the team, we don't have anything to lose
This article briefly mentions it in part and was discussed in more detail pre game. For the coach and players to have belief in him and to hand him that role was massive, obviously international footy is different to NRL footy and it's not as simple as copy and pasting the role across the two, but to not give him similar opportunities is a huge let down for me considering that type of player is exactly the type we need.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/unique-role-has-wakeham-flying-for-fiji/

Averillo is a special talent from what I've seen and heard while a lot of his strong points seamlessly transfer to the current state of NRL footy as long as he can physically and mentally handle the stepup. His combination of genuine footy nous, athleticism and classy ball skills mean he can pickup the ball in numerous positions and immediately attack the opposition...this style of play is a lot easier to slot into the structured footy of today whereas Wakeham favours a more fluid role where he can constantly scan the field and manipulate teammates and the opposition to set up favourable scenarios for him and his teammates.

Anyway this is just how I see it, personally I think both styles of play would combine extremely well for us moving forward and revitalise the club.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait and see what squad changes are in store before assuming anything else.
Pay has been changing the squad for 3 years. Your not getting what they are saying.
U could of handed deano mals great origin team, and they would of not won any of them series through poor decision making by the coach. I preach thompson and bateman wont change a thing cause pay will find a way to fuck it.
Whats the next excuse after he gets these squad changes and same old shit again.
U gulars will make something up im sure of it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not basing my assumption on the squad, I'm basing it on a fraud of a coach who clearly has no idea and shown no improvement over the years.
I don't understand how anyone can simply dismiss the squad. If there is a lack of talent and/or NRL level experience in the squad, which undeniably there is , then how can we apportion all of the blame on the coaching staff?

In regards to "no improvement" I just don't accept that, there are plenty of examples from Meaney, to CHN (ouch), while Britt showed more in 2.5 games with us than he did in the full season with Souths, To'omaga has gone from fringe Canterbury Cup to regular NRL and even most on here would agree Elliot has improved a lot (some begrudgingly). Some complain that Wakeham isn't getting a starting spot, rather hard to say that he hasn't improved, ditto Averillo. Even Ogden has learned some discipline and how to get himself ready for NRL level. Of course they are easily dismissed as one person's opinion, as I am sure you will.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Pay has been changing the squad for 3 years. Your not getting what they are saying.
U could of handed deano mals great origin team, and they would of not won any of them series through poor decision making by the coach. I preach thompson and bateman wont change a thing cause pay will find a way to fuck it.
Whats the next excuse after he gets these squad changes and same old shit again.
U gulars will make something up im sure of it.
DogsTissues.jpg

And er, please don't tell me what I do and don't get :-).
PS - the bird you refer to is spelt Galah. I have no idea what a Gular is.

Last edited: