Retired NRL star Tevita Pangai Jr has been spotted at Brisbane Broncos training fuelling speculation he could be eyeing a return to rugby league.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was always of the opinion that he'd pop up at another club before too long. Even before Bennett put the first welcome mat out if he decides boxing ain't his gig. At the end of the day though, he's always benefitted from his potential over his consistency when new contracts are dropped in his lap. As most would know he's a wrecking ball when it suits him, but that's maybe two or three times a season. On the days when his offloads hit targets in the same uniform as his, its magnificent. On the days where he hulks out and goes hunting in defence he's scary. When he decides to run through brick walls he's demolished some tough opposition packs with mostly solo efforts. So no doubt capable of terrific things.

But that's his best days. On an average day he'll do around 100 run metres. But amongst that are two spilled offload attempts at the worst conceivable moments. Three lazy missed tackles and two conceded penalties for being too slow getting off a tackled opponent. It's sitting atop a 100m game foundation though so it's hard to drop him to learn to play smarter.

So very much a rocks or diamonds player. Capable of doing things very few can when the stars align, but much more commonly seen contributing those very frustrating moments where he's tried to pop a no look offload on tackle 1 when we've just got the ball back after defending 4 repeat sets. His second game defining one will likewise be on tackle one but this time when the opposition have knocked on from the kick return and we're a red hot chance of scoring if we just play patiently.

In having said all this. Given our lack of recognised props, he'd have been handy for his 100m if he'd been restricted from offloading and given a very simple "Just run it hard as you fucking can Tevita! Don't lay in tackles and don't miss them through laziness or you get demoted" set of instructions. A solid, boring, no thrills TPJ would have suited us. But I'm not sure that was ever a possibility. I'm not sad he left.
Guaranteed this will be him boxing!!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Did he really walk away without taking a cent? He sounds money driven, I can't imagine he'd do that unless something else was going on behind the scenes...
Probably thought he would get a million dollar fight straight away, then found out he will be flat out getting a gig in a back alley for $20 now hes a nobody

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I’d be more worried that the NRL would want to speak to us and slap us with some stupid crap.
Would have been under contract and we terminated it mutually. If say he wanted to go to Brissy and we agreed, they would be picking up his not cheap contract. If we wanted him to go no doubt we'd pay and Bronks pick up the rest.

Just cannot see how we could be seen to have profited from this unless they want to make an argument that we did this so the bronks could sign him on a cheaper figure. Which would mean TPJ misses out. And I'd imagine all of the above carries for salary cap implications.

Reckon we'd have a great axe to grind here. He said he wanted to go because his heart wasn't in football and wanted to try boxing. And 8 months later signing to play football with another club. If the NRL let this slide, green light to use any bullshit excuse to walk on a contract.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is the laziest league player I have ever seen in my life. He will only be remembered for being a big lazy baby that never deserved the chance to play NRL ever.
Imagine being him one day and he has a son that sits down and say's dad can we watch your games, That's when it will sink in the baboons head when his own son tells him you were crap.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is the laziest league player I have ever seen in my life. He will only be remembered for being a big lazy baby that never deserved the chance to play NRL ever.
Imagine being him one day and he has a son that sits down and say's dad can we watch your games, That's when it will sink in the baboons head when his own son tells him you were crap.
I have him equal with She Rex.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Both built like Tarzan and played like Jane.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Club needs to really stand up here. We get milked for contracted players, released players then this shit… meanwhile?

I’d be going hard at Wilson.