News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Gus has more than enough pulling power to attract players. Potter has made a big difference to this team and if we continue to improve under him, I think other players will notice that.

Personally, Flanno Snr worries me, given his record of dodginess. I think Gittker would be an unmitigated disaster and Ciraldo might turn out to be another Barrett. That leaves Maguire, Wolfe or Potter…unless Gus has a completely left field band up his sleeve. I’m honestly starting to think Mick is our best bet. It’s starting to look like he can really coach and his record at the tigers was more a reflection on the club than him. I’m starting to think he could do a good job for us.

I respect your right to disagree, of course… but just out of curiosity, who are you hoping we land, Covens? One of the names I mentioned above? Of someone from left field? I understand why a lot of people want Flanno… but I dunno. His history really worries me.
Potter has dumbed down Barrett's vision - which needed to happen but I'm not convinced he's anything more than an interim coach - maybe that's good enough to get us from 16 to 8-12 (not this year) but what then?

Fittler is my favourite player of all time but he can't coach, Slater just ran rings around him.
Can't stand Maguire.

Flanagan seems like the best option, I like a lot of what I've heard but I don't know enough about Woolf.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m proud and happy we won. But let’s face it parra were hopeless in every department. I agree it was because we turned up and things just clicked but winning one game shouldn’t get people praising anything. We are all on a high cause we havnt won often or put a team to the sword in years. Let’s sit back and see how the back end of the year goes. Next week is gona be huge. We lose and we are back at square 1.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Isn't it funny one win and the narrative completely changes.

The toxic media go from hounding out coaches predicting their sackings to praising them all of a sudden.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m proud and happy we won. But let’s face it parra were hopeless in every department. I agree it was because we turned up and things just clicked but winning one game shouldn’t get people praising anything. We are all on a high cause we havnt won often or put a team to the sword in years. Let’s sit back and see how the back end of the year goes. Next week is gona be huge. We lose and we are back at square 1.
Parra were under the pump. Our forwards were dominant and our line speed all game was as good as it’s ever been. Parra’s halves had no time to make decisions.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Experienced coach vs inexperienced. Right now, I don’t know what the answer is but experience is putting Barrett to shame, with what an experience coach can do with the squad we have. There are definitely huge improvements, and if we back it up again next with with a dub then we are heading into the right direction.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like potter, hes done a decent job of getting us back to playing some decent rugby however hes not the solution long term, we need a quality coach if we want to hit the heights we expect and get the dogs to become successful again

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybe it will be Ciraldo with Potter as assistant, happy days.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Potter is the best person to be the interim coach as he has experience and is a steadying influence after a season and a half of turmoil under Baz.. But he's not interested in being the head coach and we need a long term option.. Hopefully he can stay on as an assistant or Reserves coach..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter is a good interim option, but he's not going to be attracting talent to the club
I think that changes if he gets this team winning and playing better footy week by week.

That would show that the current players have bought in to Potters style and they'd be talking to their mates at other teams which would be the flow on effect attracting talent

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly! Also players attract players! Who wouldn’t want to play with JAC, Burton, TPJ, Mahoney and Kikau?
I think everyone misses the point about a club. It’s not just the coach.. it’s literally the life outside the club, if their happy with the players hanging and socializing together then tell you what anyone would come here. jAC has to be the biggest signing attraction we had similar to when Roy A went from us to south Sydney

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You don't decide on appointing a full time NRL coach on one game... ive loved Potter since watching him as a kid... humble, tough, no fuss, smart. Whilst he was dudded at Balmain how can we be sure it's not Barrett or Pay all over again?

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were changes today that have been missing. Like defending with momentum. in attack, not Flat but lining up deep and hitting the line at speed, quick passing along the line. all that is the coaching difference that Potter has made. They actually played like bulldogs today.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton admitted in his Fox interview after the game about that Potter released "the shackles". Barrett was just too stuck in his structures. If he had released the shackles he might still have a job.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter is a good interim option, but he's not going to be attracting talent to the club
If he gets the dogs stringing a few wins together I have no doubt he can prove to the competition that the dogs are on the up

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No but Gus will.
I think that changes if he gets this team winning and playing better footy week by week.

That would show that the current players have bought in to Potters style and they'd be talking to their mates at other teams which would be the flow on effect attracting talent
If he gets the dogs stringing a few wins together I have no doubt he can prove to the competition that the dogs are on the up
Don't fall in love yet guys, let's see how the next couple of months go.