Panther whingers

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs have become one of the top destinations for players since CC appointment. We are up there with Storm, Panthers, Roosters in pulling power and players will come to us from lower clubs for less money. For the opportunity we can provide.

Players from Clubs like Warriors, West Tigers, Titans, Knights, Sea Eagles, Dragons & Broncos would come to us for less than what they are being paid at their current club.

It is the nature of the Salary Cap and the requirement to spend 95% of it that guarantees players at lower clubs get paid more than what they would at top destinations. If all players were paid what they are worth then how would teams with struggling rosters ever get to that 95%
We can now understand better how clubs down the bottom of the ladder mismanage their cap by paying too much for average / older players and then become an unattractive destination for the better players and coaches - ie the Dragons. The Tigers have managed to do better than I thought they would in the forwards but I'm still not keen on their halves or backs.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Success comes with a price and I don't think it's a question of them losing players.... under a salary cap we expect that to be the case. The thing that hurts their fanbase and the media at large is to whom they are losing their players too. When the Dogs are down and languishing at the bottom of the NRL ladder all seems right with the world of rugby league. But we make a few shrewd buys the club starts fuctioning properly again as the in fighting dies away and it's panic stations across the league.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If you read / hear any Panthers fans whingeing about us pinching their players don't be shy to remind them how they took multi premiership winning players Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly from us (in 1988) and Peter Tunks (1990).

What goes around comes around .... karma

We were raided by the Eels for McCracken, Dymock and Pay and by the Roosters for Myles, Mason, SBW, O'Meley and Anasta. Who's turn is it now ?
and Jason Smith to Eels
and Charlie Tonga to Roosters
1674512508229.png
1674512498650.png

Wahesh

Reaction score
Lol dogs fans are the biggest sooks ever when it comes to our players getting raided. So much for treat others as you’d like to be treated.

Gus is trying yo turn us into the roosters and it breaks my heart, baby!
Exactly brethren - treat others as you’d like to be treated. These Karmichaels didn't treat us the way we would've like to be treated, and so karma is giving them an unlubricated penis up the brown eye.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we're supposed to apologise for attracting quality players in their prime at a reasonable price after nearly a decade of overpaying for players past their best and missing the finals every year? Get fucked.

We've been at the bottom for longer than before in my lifetime. Let them hate us now that we're slowly becoming a force again. It's better to be hated than be laughed at.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could not give a flying fuck how the heck we’re back on top where we belong as long as it’s done. I can’t even believe Gus bothers replying to some of these tweets on Twitter. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
If you read / hear any Panthers fans whingeing about us pinching their players don't be shy to remind them how they took multi premiership winning players Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly from us (in 1988) and Peter Tunks (1990).

What goes around comes around .... karma

We were raided by the Eels for McCracken, Dymock and Pay and by the Roosters for Myles, Mason, SBW, O'Meley and Anasta. Who's turn is it now ?
That's right Brad.

Add Jason Smith to the players Parrascum took off us. It was 4 all at once - the 3 you listed plus Jason Smith. 4 gun players - all international representatives. Just another reason to hate Parrascum ... in case another reason was required.

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's right Brad.

Add Jason Smith to the players Parrascum took off us. It was 4 all at once - the 3 you listed plus Jason Smith. 4 gun players - all international representatives. Just another reason to hate Parrascum ... in case another reason was required.
What goes around comes around. We might be returning the favour firstly with Mahoney and possibly Moses.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right Brad.

And they won how many premierships? Blotto.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Exactly brethren - treat others as you’d like to be treated. These Karmichaels didn't treat us the way we would've like to be treated, and so karma is giving them an unlubricated penis up the brown eye.
That’s more eye for an eye than treat others lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks getting raided big time baby.
May I ask if you were in Gus’ position what would your plan be to get the Bulldogs back into a winning position in the shortest timeframe possible to keep the whinging fans at bay?
I’d sign some players…. But poaching from predominantly one club and essentially trying to clone their DNA is a big mistake and an insult to this club’s great legacy, baby!

Especially when we are paying overs for players like Kikau and Crichton.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
For someone who keeps sprouting on about how brilliant they are, you seem to have zero knowledge on how to rebuild a broken club …

It’s common knowledge what happened to our very successful junior funnels and pathways, Gus doesn’t have a magic wand to rebuild those or fix that massive problem over night .. as you would have seen at the Panthers, even with their massive catchment areas, it takes fucking years to get these kids 1st grade ready, and it’s not a job that can be rushed ..

So here’s the choices, languish at the bottom of the ladder losing and getting the spoon for all those years while you rebuild those pathways and bring through those kids, or you go to market and buy the best off contract 1st grade quality players you possible can …

Buying and bringing in quality 1st grade players equals winning games again and has multiple benefits, it brings back your fans, it brings back a winning culture, the young kids your starting to bring through the grades and nurture get to train and be around experienced winners, they get to learn what it means to have a winning attitude, how to train to be a winner, they advance faster by learning from having these experienced winners around them, they aspire to be them … you can’t get that from a losing culture …

Personally I’m fucking stoked we have Gus, he’s unlike most GM’s that you never hear from that just sit back and suckle on their clubs teat year after year and continue to coast along … Gus moves hell and high water to get shit done and strives to be successful …

There’s no one else in the Nrl I’d want running our club other than Gus .. I watched what he did at the Roosters who were a perennial losing club, then I watched him again at the Panther who were broke and again perennial losers … I have every faith we’ll win multiple premierships with him steering the ship … love him or hate him, he doesn’t give a shit, he’s there to win and he knows how to succeed.

If he was just buying players and not working his ass of rebuilding pathways, funnels, a centre of excellence, or bringing in young talent, and putting the right people in the right places to nurture them, I’d agree with you … if you haven’t taken note of what he’s already achieved in just a year and a half, then you obviously haven’t been paying attention …

And no I’m not wanking on about him, it’s a simple case of credit where credits due ..
Where did I say I’m against signing players?

What I said is I’m against raiding from predominantly one club and attempting to effectively clone their DNA, because that is just going to turn us into a cheap bootleg of a club we will never outdo at their own game. We should be buying players who will buy into our culture, not players who will just bring a watered down version of their culture here. We haven’t even lsnddd any of the posters who made Penrith as good as they are (Cleary, Yeo, Edwards etc) we are just buying the posters who have ridden their coat tails.

If you look at the tigers, they have recruited much smarter…. Which is why they are set to surprise a lot of people this year and we will be a big letdown.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where did I say I’m against signing players?

What I said is I’m against raiding from predominantly one club and attempting to effectively clone their DNA, because that is just going to turn us into a cheap bootleg of a club we will never outdo at their own game. We should be buying players who will buy into our culture, not players who will just bring a watered down version of their culture here. We haven’t even lsnddd any of the posters who made Penrith as good as they are (Cleary, Yeo, Edwards etc) we are just buying the posters who have ridden their coat tails.

If you look at the tigers, they have recruited much smarter…. Which is why they are set to surprise a lot of people this year and we will be a big letdown.
You've out trolled yourself this time.. The Tigers have more Panthers players in their squad than us.

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let panthers whinge lets take taylan may next or maybe lets take the whole squad

Wahesh

Reaction score
That's right Brad.

Yep… and then we bought an excellent quality player off then as payback… Chris Armit.