Panther whingers

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People carrying on like bulldogs went and bought them all at the same time to start this year. Burton was signed nearly 2 years, kikau a year ago and Crichton isn’t coming for over a years time.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty much, embrace the hate.

I'm keen to see how it plays out tbh. Mostly what Gus has planned for depth, the way it's looking you will be pretty thin outside the top 13 or so.
I believe we have the best depth we have had for over decade, keeping in mind that we did finish 2nd in NSW Cup in 2022, so our depth wasn't that bad last year. What we didn't have was enough strike players in the NRL team, but that has changed for 2023 and will again step up in 2024.

Always a Bulldog

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People carrying on like bulldogs went and bought them all at the same time to start this year. Burton was signed nearly 2 years, kikau a year ago and Crichton isn’t coming for over a years time.
Exactly

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sorry to deflate your post there Assassin, but remember 2002. We were accused and charged with breaching the Salary Cap, stripped of 34 competion points and got the wooden spoon. Probably the most competitive and successful wooden spooners in rugby league history.
Yeah we got given that spoon but they earned theirs. Big difference bro lol

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they didn't lose them to the Bulldogs it would be to another club. Blame the NRL & the salary cap not the Bulldogs.

I personally think that teams should get a discount on their own juniors but the NRL doesn't think so.
There's built in salary cap concessions for career players but we can't have teams in districts having over 40 junior clubs being able to keep all their juniors forever when some teams occupy districts with only 20 clubs.
Yes the Panthers have done an exceptional job developing pathways for their juniors....so give them a medal. Oh, we did, the last 2 seasons. Now time to hand on the baton. After all, the salary cap is purpose designed to not have the same couple of teams win every year.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If you win a comp, expect to get pillaged, simple.

If panthers wanted to keep those players, they should have made them a priority. It’s fair game to the players and the Bulldogs if Penrith don’t see them in that light.
That's true. I think Burton has been their biggest loss so far. They are building their team around Cleary. I think that while he's a great player and perhaps the greatest in the current game, they need to better manage their salary cap because they are loosing so many big players, and it will only continue.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Before Armpit we recruited Willie Tonga and Bobcat, so I think they may have been a bigger loss for the scums
Interestingly, we only bought Chris Armit to lure younger brother Nathan over.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I've mentioned a few times on this site that the players we got from Belmore in the late 80's were what we needed to take the next step, they were also close to or past their use by dates at the Dogs.
I agree with this part - and there were no salary caps back then so it was purely about blooding younger players. The Dogs had an aging squad by the late 80’s and the moves ultimately paid off - making a GF in ‘94 and winning in ‘95. No-one seems to mention how Cement, Langers and JT went to the Magpies in ‘91 for the same reason - it wasn’t really ‘poaching’ - if anything it was Bullfrog developing a younger squad. Let’s also not forget ‘Louie’ (despite some injuries) was ultimately punted for a young Brad Fittler. It happens.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
End of the day the Panthers have had such success that they can't afford to keep the band together. As for multiple Panthers ending up at the Dogs why wouldn't you want to go where your mates went, your assistant coach and Gus who signed you to the Panthers in the first place. As pointed out the Dogs lost multiple players after GF success first to the Eels and then the Rorters.
Just because we don't cry and souk it doesn't mean we've been safe...
Many weren't even born but for the once that were who could forget at the end of 1978 when John Singleton signed 9 players yes 9 players from Canterbury to rebuild Newtown.
We didn't whinge or cry about it, we simply elevated our reserve grade to first then went on to almost win the grand final 1979...if it wast for a forward runaround pass or that brilliant tackle by Rod Ready...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had my boys first training session this year at Wenty yesterday and there dumb fucks already crying we are over the cap...

Being Wenty they were mostly parra fans.

Just shut them down instantly saying "at least when we cheat we win, you guys cheated and got the spoon".
That's NASTY :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I believe we have the best depth we have had for over decade, keeping in mind that we did finish 2nd in NSW Cup in 2022, so our depth wasn't that bad last year. What we didn't have was enough strike players in the NRL team, but that has changed for 2023 and will again step up in 2024.

Always a Bulldog
Just off the top of my head I counted 17 guys who played Dogs NSWCup in 2022 & have left the club, so I hope our depth will be ok.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they didn't lose them to the Bulldogs it would be to another club. Blame the NRL & the salary cap not the Bulldogs.

I personally think that teams should get a discount on their own juniors but the NRL doesn't think so.
You and everyone knows why they don’t do it.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith with one of the biggest junior bases are only reaping the benefits because the game is dying and they are from the only two areas that still play league ( far west Sydney and small parts of QLD) they have been a nothing club outside of a few years here and there

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry to deflate your post there Assassin, but remember 2002. We were accused and charged with breaching the Salary Cap, stripped of 34 competion points and got the wooden spoon. Probably the most competitive and successful wooden spooners in rugby league history.
Like the man said though, we were winning lol

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Eel won the spoon and then later on it got leaked that they were over the cap that season. The NRL never had to dock them points to win the spoon haha!