Opinion Our best 1-5 for 2019

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can't believe Hoppa is still only 26/27 this year. Signed till end of next season too.

Backline is going to be real interesting this season and someone who is more than capable of holding an NRL spot will miss out:
1. Hoppa / Meaney
2. Smith (he's cemented in).
3. Holland / Hoppa / Montoya
4. Holland / Hoppa / Montoya
5. Hoppa / Montoya / Crichton

Meaney, Hoppa, Holland, Montoya, Crichton, Smith > 5 spots.

So one of them drops back into NSW Cup alongside Katoa, Clayton, Anderson, Harper, Olive.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe Hoppa is still only 26/27 this year. Signed till end of next season too.

Backline is going to be real interesting this season and someone who is more than capable of holding an NRL spot will miss out:
1. Hoppa / Meaney
2. Smith (he's cemented in).
3. Holland / Hoppa / Montoya
4. Holland / Hoppa / Montoya
5. Hoppa / Montoya / Crichton

Meaney, Hoppa, Holland, Montoya, Crichton, Smith > 5 spots.

So one of them drops back into NSW Cup alongside Katoa, Clayton, Anderson, Harper, Olive.
Im back off the backline, just read from the mole brandon smith isnt happy. Is he a reliable source much, only rumour obviously so far. Would bag him up and worry about the extra back next year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Im back off the backline, just read from the mole brandon smith isnt happy. Is he a reliable source much, only rumour obviously so far. Would bag him up and worry about the extra back next year.
I'd say Moley is a 50/50 kinda guy. When you're making a call about "will or won't someone sign" the odds are always 50/50.

As to if it's inside knowldege or just a good guess I don't know.

Hooker seems our biggest issue at the moment. I keep hoping Lichaa will live up to the hype and every season he just disappoints.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say Moley is a 50/50 kinda guy. When you're making a call about "will or won't someone sign" the odds are always 50/50.

As to if it's inside knowldege or just a good guess I don't know.

Hooker seems our biggest issue at the moment. I keep hoping Lichaa will live up to the hype and every season he just disappoints.
If im the club im already on the plane with a big shiny suit on. Rfm and chn sitting beside me taking the young bloke out to lunch in melbourne with one of uncles nicks magic bags.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Lewis this year is going to be a major test for him. His kicking game and organising is his strong point but I don't think he will have the luxury of so much time and space.

Hopefully he has developed his ball playing and running game in the off season. I'm not sure if his running game is ever going to be there with his pace.

He seems like the type who would knuckle down and improve himself so it will be exciting to see what he does.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of Lewis this year is going to be a major test for him. His kicking game and organising is his strong point but I don't think he will have the luxury of so much time and space.

Hopefully he has developed his ball playing and running game in the off season. I'm not sure if his running game is ever going to be there with his pace.

He seems like the type who would knuckle down and improve himself so it will be exciting to see what he does.
I think opposition will try and rush him to shut his kicking game down.

However if our hooker doesn't take 18 minutes and 35 seconds to get him the ball from the play the ball, we should be okay.

If Foran is available to kick that gives us another option, and depending on who is at hooker, we may have a third option.

If Cogger is progressing well and his defence improves there's the potential to play him at hooker but in a roaming half style role. I wonder if that would work?!?!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
  • Montoya was dropped for R smith until Bmoz' misses went into labour, therefore putting him back in the side ... but he was dropped again shortly after.
  • Lewis could not be brought in any earlier because of the top 30 rule, as soon as mbye left he was brought in
  • Rhyse Martin had discipline issues otherwise he probably would of seen 1st grade earlier..
it is easy to forget these things when you have an agenda

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s been one season and Pay was dealt a shit sandwich and he did some positives and negatives but the team of nobodies competed nearly every weekend and were not disgraced and even had some very good wins. I’m not saying Pay is the saviour but I’m more then happy to give him another season of low expectations because of just where the club was and how hard the squad competed weekly. Keep up your daily rampage on Pay that’s fine but even your bestie wouldn’t have salvaged the season as well as Pay did.

Just remember where this club was 12 months ago in shitville and until this Napa shit broke everything was pointing up for this season. So I’ll stick with the club and their decisions until they start throwing in the towel like the Knights have these past few years.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just remember where this club was 12 months ago in shitville and until this Napa shit broke everything was pointing up for this season.
The Napa stuff is only effecting Napa and admin stuff I wouldn’t think it would effect the rest of the team.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of you guys are kidding if you dont think Hoppa will be in our backline..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just cleaned up this thread last night and removed a whole stack of bickering/pointless/off topic posts.

Be respectful of each others opinions.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some of you guys are kidding if you dont think Hoppa will be in our backline..
I think you may be right. He will probably be there. However a lot of posters on here think he should not be.
Hes to slow, misses tackles. He really is to ponderous for such an important position.
Meaney must be fullback. Hopoate may find a spot somewhere, just not sure where.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right. He will probably be there. However a lot of posters on here think he should not be.
Hes to slow, misses tackles. He really is to ponderous for such an important position.
Meaney must be fullback. Hopoate may find a spot somewhere, just not sure where.
He's also been one of our better players for the past couple of seasons, just hasn't had a lot to work with... think he will combine well with Lewis and Foz

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa will be there if you take him out the backline has less then 50 games of experience between them!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's also been one of our better players for the past couple of seasons, just hasn't had a lot to work with... think he will combine well with Lewis and Foz
Lewis and Foz were there for a lot of last year and he did nothing.