Meaney
Crighton
Holland (left centre)
Hoppa right centre
Smith
Lewis
Foran.

Expecting a few surprises in forwards to with positional changes
If Holland and Smith aren't on the same side of the field that'll do me.

The reason they both played so well is that they had a combo in ISP and they were able to use that to their advantage in FG.

But I have heard others say they're training as above.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The reason they both played so well is that they had a combo in ISP and they were able to use that to their advantage in FG.

I don’t know what to say, if this is true I’d be beside myself.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the strongest possible team for 2019 is with CHN as centre

1. Hoppa
2. Montoya/Crighton depending on trial form
3. Holland
4. CHN
5. Smith
6. Lewis
7. Foran (lets pray hard that he comes good)

That leaves the loser of No.2, Cogger, Meaney Olive & Harper as back line coverage in the event of injuries

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people put CHN at centre???? He USE to play there. His body has outgrown the position. May as well say "Jackson or Elliot to the centres"

He would get burnt everytime by any centre with a bit of class
We all have different opinions about players and everything else mate I respect yours, but I'm in the camp who thinks that Chn will prove to be the best centre at the club at the present time if he is played there, It would be nice to find out who is right. BTW jackson has at times played centre to cover for an injury player, also Darren Smith was backrower but played most of his football for our club at centre, and was a pretty good one too.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
1Hoppa
2Meaney
3Holland
4CHN
5Smith

If I had to choose ...

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Hoppa look a lot leaner than he has been in recent seasons? Was looking, and moving, like a 2nd rower there for while. Should help with his agility/speed.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Hoppa look a lot leaner than he has been in recent seasons? Was looking, and moving, like a 2nd rower there for while. Should help with his agility/speed.
I agree. He’s looking seriously toned and hopefully we see an improvement in his lateral movement / speed.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where is the so called speed. He has never had any and never will.
It will be a tragedy if Meaney is not named as fullback.
Due to the shortage of accomplished backs, Hopoate may be a slim chance of playing from the bench. He
could cover for most of them at a pinch, and maybe as a forward as well. The key words are "slim chance".

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people put CHN at centre???? He USE to play there. His body has outgrown the position. May as well say "Jackson or Elliot to the centres"

He would get burnt everytime by any centre with a bit of class
They put him there because they saw how well he played against us as a centre last year. I don’t believe your assertions he can outgrow a position in less than 12 months. He most likely would have played more centre too if not for the fact they had to start Peachey somewhere.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where is the so called speed. He has never had any and never will.
It will be a tragedy if Meaney is not named as fullback.
Due to the shortage of accomplished backs, Hopoate may be a slim chance of playing from the bench. He
could cover for most of them at a pinch, and maybe as a forward as well. The key words are "slim chance".
Dropping some weight, whilst working on maintaining/gaining power in the right areas, will help his agility. May be slight, but gains in acceleration, manouverabilty or stamina to maintain whatever top speed he’s able to achieve can’t hurt, can it?

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty concerned about our 1-5 and their ability to put points on the board...and then there is the defence..

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. Smith
3. Holland
4. Hopoate
5. Chriton

Despite hoppas obvious defensive lapses at centre last season I still think it’s his most suited position. He can ball play, draw and pass, has good game awareness. He also had some good moments in attack at centre that have been overlooked. Some nice line breaks and try assists. I would like to see him have one more chance there to prove himself.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. Smith
3. Holland
4. Hopoate
5. Chriton

Despite hoppas obvious defensive lapses at centre last season I still think it’s his most suited position. He can ball play, draw and pass, has good game awareness. He also had some good moments in attack at centre that have been overlooked. Some nice line breaks and try assists. I would like to see him have one more chance there to prove himself.
Can we afford more of his defensive lapses as a centre?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we afford more of his defensive lapses as a centre?
Haha definitely not! . I may be optimistic in thinking Hoppa has the game smarts and work ethic to fix his defence up in the centres. What Alternate do you propose ?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Holland didn’t play with Smith in ISP last year so I don’t know what you’re talking about?
They managed to combine well in those few first grade games at the end of the season though. I’m hoping for more of the same in 2019

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha definitely not! . I may be optimistic in thinking Hoppa has the game smarts and work ethic to fix his defence up in the centres. What Alternate do you propose ?
Hoppa does not have sped. You cannot coach speed into a player.
His defensive liabilities are well known. However the options we have for centre are pretty skinny.
The ISP players are not ready yet. They may be in time, but not yet. The good centres are someone who can tackle.
They must also be able to bust the line. They must be able to set up their wingers.
I have been proposing the CHN be trained in that position. He has most of the ingredients to be successful.
There has been a lot of good big centres. Meninga, Close, Farrar, Luluai, Inglis etc. CHN can make the grade.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppas best position if he’s playing first grade is wing. He’s hopeless at Center and doesn’t have the speed to be a top line fullback despite being a very good meter eater. Can’t stop anyone in open play. I don’t think Meaney has come here to play ISP so Pay has some interesting decisions to make for round 1. One positive with Pay is he’s happy to drop players to reserves if there is someone to take their place.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppy doesn’t figure in my team. He did not perform well in the centre and is no fullback. One of the two ex-Manly duds that are still to be cleaned out from the Hasler benevolent scheme.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppy doesn’t figure in my team. He did not perform well in the centre and is no fullback. One of the two ex-Manly duds that are still to be cleaned out from the Hasler benevolent scheme.
Your entitled to your opinion, but as certain as the sun will rise in the morning Hopa will be in the team. He’s one of our best players and most experienced aswel.