Opinion Opinions on new coaches

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ya dont watch much footy hey howie, thats ok many only watch the dogs.
But according to dinkum dog there is no one left in the world that can coach football except dean pay, thank god we have dean lol. As u can see dinkum dog, many others are not as short minded, now please can u stop asking people for names your starting to look ridiculous its obvious there are alot of options, much better options than our current state of affairs.
Thank you
Ya can't read very well hey Straight, thats ok many only read cartoons too. I can draw you a picture if that's easier for you?

I happened to stumble on your post. If you want to have a chat, how about tagging me (I'll provide instructions if needed).
So I'm 'short minded' when I am the one who has always said 'stay the course' and all the critics on here who say Pay shouldn't chop and change his teams are now calling for the club to make a rash decision on its coaching future after spending 2.5 years mopping up a mess?
Oh the hypocrisy...I could go on, but it's futile.
As for looking ridiculous - you just keep those posts coming bud :-).
Thank you.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ya can't read very well hey Straight, thats ok many only read cartoons too. I can draw you a picture if that's easier for you?

I happened to stumble across your post. If you want to have a conversation, how about tagging me (I can show you instructions if necessary).
So I'm 'short minded' when I am the one who has always said 'stay the course' and all the critics on here who say Pay shouldn't chop and change his teams are now calling for the club to make a rash decision on its coaching future after spending 2.5 years mopping up a mess?
Oh the hypocrisy...I could go on, but it's futile.
As for looking ridiculous - you just keep those posts coming bud :-).
Thank you.
Firing a coach in his third season of his team having the worst attack in the comp and being bottom five every season isn't a rash decision.

The current standard isn't acceptable and it's clear as day that Pay is on borrowed time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Firing a coach in his third season of his team having the worst attack in the comp and being bottom five every season isn't a rash decision.

The current standard isn't acceptable and it's clear as day that Pay is on borrowed time.
It's not clear Ben. We'll see. The board seems in no hurry to meet.
There's a difference between firing and not re-signing a coach.
Pay could well see out the year/his contract (and maybe not) - just as before the Manly game it was probable he was going to be retained for 2021 (or maybe not).
There's much more at stake than just the coach - and when not thinking rationally but emotionally that doesn't solve the problem (I'm not referring specifically to you, but as a whole).
No point in painting over a water leak is there?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy- contracts mean jack shit and with cam smith reportedly retiring craig might leave too or be swayed by the $$$

As the million dollar man said everyone has a price. Give him an offer too good to refuse.

shane Flanagan on the proviso the nrl reduce his suspension

Anthony griffin- 2 titles with broncs under 20s
Left broncos in good state and when Penrith were running fourth the season he got punted.

craig fitzy
Know him personally and a genuine nice guy and knows his stuff real well
Vlandys has said he wants a 2nd Brisbane team in 2 years.
They reckon that the Brisbane Bombers are in front to get it and guess whos ear that they have been in the last couple of years..
Craig Bellamy!
They will have money to burn.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But according to dinkum dog there is no one left in the world that can coach football except dean pay, thank god we have dean lol. As u can see dinkum dog, many others are not as short minded, now please can u stop asking people for names your starting to look ridiculous its obvious there are alot of options, much better options than our current state of affairs.
Thank you
He'll be happy now. He asked for names and got them.

I can't see them dumping Pay this year. It's a trainwreck already and they figure they'll look silly to sack him 3 games in. Who wants the job anyway. He needs to pick the best 17, stop repeating the same ineffective selections and tired gameplan and see what happens. We, and him, have nothing to lose except maybe signings but we can't clarify that to any prospects anyway. A shambles.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not clear Ben. We'll see. The board seems in no hurry to meet.
There's a difference between firing and not re-signing a coach.
Pay could well see out the year/his contract (and maybe not) - just as before the Manly game it was probable he was going to be retained for 2021 (or maybe not).
There's much more at stake than just the coach - and when not thinking rationally but emotionally that doesn't solve the problem (I'm not referring specifically to you, but as a whole).
No point in painting over a water leak is there?
The Board is very concerned with the situation. They know they can’t play the proverbial 3 wise monkeys any longer.
Their hand has been forced by the poor performance against Manly. If the the team puts in another similar performance next Monday it’s arrivederci Deano not just to save face with Bulldogs fans but to maintain some semblance of relevance within the wider rugby league community moving forward.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The Board is very concerned with the situation. They know they can’t play the proverbial 3 wise monkeys any longer.
Their hand has been forced by poor performance against Manly. If the he team puts in another similar performance next Monday it’s arrivederci Deano not just to save face with Bulldogs fans but to maintain some semblance of relevance within the wider rugby league community moving forward.
Of COURSE they're CONCERNED.
It's their JOB to be CONCERNED.
They SHOULD be CONCERNED.
That doesn't mean they are going to react emotionally when there are are many pieces of the puzzle that have to fit together.
As for next Monday - let's wait and see on both accounts, shall we?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much Cash would it take to seriously get Bellamy away from Melbourne. Seriously?
Find that amount and pay it!
Other rich clubs may let us have a free hit right now.
Roosters won’t punt Robbo
Souths have just announced Dimitriou
Broncos will give Seibold a little more time but that’s it.
We can out bid Dragons
Parra have Arthur who is turned things around.

NOW MUST BE THE TIME TO ASK THE SERIOUS QUESTION!!!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just read if Mary is sacked the nrl would be open to flannagan becoming head coach of either the dragons or another side.
If pay happens to be tapped on the shoulder (fingers crossed)
I absolutely don't want flannagan at belmore but I'm sure there are people out there that would be creaming to get him, really don't get all the hype around the guy when his only premiership was through cheating and doping, but anyway

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay should see the year out, no point looking for a new coach until they fix the undermining.
It was the same under Hasler.
How can you even mention Gould or Ennis?
Does Ennis even want to be in coaching?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay should be given the season, however a new contract should depend on KPI’s over and above winning 4 out of the last 6 games.
One guy that I thought was dudded in the past and I would welcome is Mick Potter - having said that, my preference is we finish the year with more wins than losses and Pay is extended for another year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if the name Brett Kimmorley gets thrown as up as caretaker (provided his NRL coaching accreditation is up to date).
I always thought he would end up being an assistant coach at the club but that never eventuated.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read if Mary is sacked the nrl would be open to flannagan becoming head coach of either the dragons or another side.
If pay happens to be tapped on the shoulder (fingers crossed)
I absolutely don't want flannagan at belmore but I'm sure there are people out there that would be creaming to get him, really don't get all the hype around the guy when his only premiership was through cheating and doping, but anyway
Respectfully disagree. Supplements aside, Flanaghan was a very good junior coach, and he'll be out to prove a point. He's almost my top pick for a replacement.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Not sure who the main man should be. Just hope Pay gets sacked. I do think that Jason Ryles would be a great assistant coach. Bloke has been huge for Melbourne especially in the defensive side off things plus he has helped England rugby union team

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much Cash would it take to seriously get Bellamy away from Melbourne. Seriously?
Find that amount and pay it!
Other rich clubs may let us have a free hit right now.
Roosters won’t punt Robbo
Souths have just announced Dimitriou
Broncos will give Seibold a little more time but that’s it.
We can out bid Dragons
Parra have Arthur who is turned things around.

NOW MUST BE THE TIME TO ASK THE SERIOUS QUESTION!!!
Bellamy will be the Inaugural coach of the new Brisbane team.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of COURSE they're CONCERNED.
It's their JOB to be CONCERNED.
They SHOULD be CONCERNED.
That doesn't mean they are going to react emotionally when there are are many pieces of the puzzle that have to fit together.
As for next Monday - let's wait and see on both accounts, shall we?
No offence intended however, you come across as the Spokesman for Lynne, the FC Board & A Hill:

React emotionally??????
Are you kidding! There’s no emotion it’s a business & hard decision need making now.
Your puzzle analogy is inappropriate it’s more like links in a chain as follows;
1)We have & have had the worst roster in the NRL for the past 3 seasons. In the current situation that won’t change.
2)If they don’t move now, they won’t improve the roster.
3)They don’t improve the roster NO COACH will consider coming-it would be career suicide with this “wait & see” mindset of the Board & Current Recruitment team.
4)Which will result in even poorer membership less prime time TV exposure which will negatively impact on corporate/commercial opportunities. (Our sponsorship staff at present are an embarrassment).

The “we’re in a rebuilding phase” prose has well & truly expired. We can’t remain in this insane &
unacceptable “holding pattern”.

Everybody wants success
Everybody loves a winner.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As the great bullfrog said many years ago it doesn't hurt to have a good cleanout when necessary. We are at that point right now.

The best at that in the 90's for example was Brian Smith but i am not for one minute suggesting him now.

We need to look at the type of coach now who has 2 strengths. 1. Recognizing who can't cut it at NRL level. In other words players who ability wise are somewhere between 2nd grade and 1st grade and move them on. 2. Recognize young talent recruiting them and importantly giving them the opportinity in the NRL.

I think we all agree that 2020 is going to be a poor season. Therefore instead of hanging on to players who aren't up to it give some young blokes15 or so games this year and see who develops.

Problem being our current coach doesn't seem to have improved any of our players in recent seasons.

Therefore the club SHOULD have an idea of who the next coach is and bring him in asap.

Long term the best thing that can happen this week is for us to get pumped by the equally inept Dragons and expedite the change.

My vote as it has been for a couple of months is Griffin. No nonsense and seemingly not afraid to drop non performers.