Nrlol first ever NFL block play

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kikau didn’t even touch the ball as well. No raking motion, he was stopping the ball but he didn’t rake it out
I thought that stripping the ball was permitted if you are stopping a try.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't believe that wasn't overturned, but then again we should be used to it. Reed probably wouldn't have changed anything but he was close enough to Johnson and the obstruction was blatant enough (no dive at all) for it to be an easy decision.

I'm sure if Souths, The Roosters, Penrith, Melbourne etc had that try against them they would have had more looks at it and ultimately overturned it..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that wasn't overturned, but then again we should be used to it. Reed probably wouldn't have changed anything but he was close enough to Johnson and the obstruction was blatant enough (no dive at all) for it to be an easy decision.

I'm sure if Souths, The Roosters, Penrith, Melbourne etc had that try against them they would have had more looks at it and ultimately overturned it..
Only if we scored it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

100% be overturned if those teams.

In fact a ref adjudicating one of their games, standing there in front of the play, would have instantly penalised Warriors for obstruction.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Every team can run that play if they dont
Exactly. And that's why I was livid. Because we kicked dead just before that when attacking their line. We could've just run that play.. and I was yelling at the screen after to run the same play when we went back to their line. But we don't have the smartest players

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In that pic you can see SJ is shielded to the try line well before the line.

Mahoney "could" have stopped him if given the opportunity. They are smilar size.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He was in front of Johnson, so clearly not a support player. Dont think Mahoney would of stopped Johnson but they have rules to follow.
That's pretty much what it is, either follow the rules or don't so the precedent can be set for what has happened today for obstruction tries to be allowed from now...

They can't be using discretion for a rule they have in black and white as per the rules

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was in front of Johnson, so clearly not a support player. Dont think Mahoney would of stopped Johnson but they have rules to follow.
Probably Mahoney would not have stopped him, BUT as Anasta said is there a possibility that he could have knocked the ball loose, or held him up?

Who would have thought that Mark Nicholls could have saved the try he did?

But he did it.

And lets face it, Mahoney is much more likely than Nicholls, any day of the week, but was denied the opportunity

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The obstructor stopped in the line preventing the defender an opportunity to defend Johnson's path to the line.
Obstruction. Refs got it wrong. End of Story. Everyone knows...
Reed turned into Addin to try get the penalty - this is why it happened.
The counter argument is to say his theatrics shouldn’t matter in the Scheme of things yo

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I'm just not sure what afb needed to do more for us to be awarded an obstruction penalty? Kill Mahoney?!

He knocked him clean over

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reed turned into Addin to try get the penalty - this is why it happened.
The counter argument is to say his theatrics shouldn’t matter in the Scheme of things yo
Or the counter argument is the Ref should referee the rules.

Glad you still don't let reality get in the middle of your dumbarse comments.