NRL expansion

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What are your thoughts for expansion in the nrl?
Or even contraction.

I am in two minds, a part of me wants to see it expand to 20.
Add Perth as 18th,
Castle Hill/Hills district 19th
Nz2 or CC 20th.

But the issue in that is it dilutes the playing pool. Weakening the game. And makes it harder to experience premiership glory.
It’ll also have a side effect of being a nail in tha English coffin which isn’t good and more disinterested games.
Charlie from Rydalmere is not going to tune into dolphins v Perth for example. Less rivalries.

Could leave it as is, but 17 is a shit number.

Or could contract.

I can make a reasonable case to ditch dolphins, titans and Cronulla and go to 14.
7 games a round and high quality intense stuff.
Also a little easier to make the 8 and bring home the flag.

-Nasheed (He/Him)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
16 or 18, only so we dont have a team bying every week causing a skewed ladder most of the year, biased towards those who have had byes. But we dont need more teams. Talent is spread thin as it is. But id rather 18 than 17

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
18. Perth
19. Hills district
20. Central Coast.

After this it’ll have to be conferences.
Then it’s;
21. Nz2
22. Adelaide.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
18 teams. Next one in Central Queensland … Rockhampton or Gladstone.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a look at a map…750 plus km from Redcliffe to Rocky and another 750 to Townsville. I’m not sure the dolphins reach is that far.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Have a look at a map…750 plus km from Redcliffe to Rocky and another 750 to Townsville. I’m not sure the dolphins reach is that far.
Not sure there is appetite for a team there

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NZ #2, Melbourne #2, or possibly a mid north coast team.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Castle Hill? Put the crack pipe down bruh
You kidding? fastest growing region in NSW, affluent, families, league type. Huge region.

It can taps into Hornsby, Berowra, Portland, Wisemans Ferry.....
massive

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well two of the current starting 13 Australian players in Grant and Munster come from Rocky , same school in fact, so I’d suggest there’s a fair appetite!
Redcliffe is a northern suburb of Brisbane.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I'd rather see North Sydney Bears return than invent a new Sydney team....
The Bears aren't some new Hills team that Nasheed is talking about. I'd love to see the Bears back too but their only chance is if they use their colours and logo but agree to go to Perth or somewhere else. They're not adding another Sydney team. And they seem reluctant to put a team on the Central Coast even though I think it would work there and their stadium is good..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bears aren't some new Hills team that Nasheed is talking about. I'd love to see the Bears back too but their only chance is if they use their colours and logo but agree to go to Perth or somewhere else. They're not adding another Sydney team. And they seem reluctant to put a team on the Central Coast even though I think it would work there and their stadium is good..
I do agree though that bears in the hills district can definitely work

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They seriously need to get grass roots funding to keep the talent pool growing before they expand any further.

We already have a situation where a handful of teams can lure in the bulk of talent (whether through illegal payment as I suspect or through the lure of success which I am sceptical about).

Introducing a team that might achieve two wins in a season will just mean that team really struggles to grow a fan base and the NRL will be pouring money into them to keep them viable.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Fkn hills district ….. FUCK OFF IDIOT
Why is that?

It is huge, about 20% of Sydney. Growing bigger than carbonara.

If we dont, this is going to allow the eels to be a powerhouse, they are already dominating us.

30 years ago, Kellyville, Rouse Hill, Glenorie, Stanhope, Bella Vista etc did bit exist as urban centres that people lived in, now they are booming and growing.

That whole Carlingford/Normanhurst in the east until Portland in the west up to Wisemans is mouth watering for a new team.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why is that?

It is huge, about 20% of Sydney. Growing bigger than carbonara.

If we dont, this is going to allow the eels to be a powerhouse, they are already dominating us.

30 years ago, Kellyville, Rouse Hill, Glenorie, Stanhope, Bella Vista etc did bit exist as urban centres that people lived in, now they are booming and growing.

That whole Carlingford/Normanhurst in the east until Portland in the west up to Wisemans is mouth watering for a new team.
There will not be a new Sydney team created within the existing area of Parramatta. Those players from growth areas like the Hills and Camden can feed into existing pathways. The only realistic club options for expansion are Perth (my preference) NZ and PNG.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You kidding? fastest growing region in NSW, affluent, families, league type. Huge region.

It can taps into Hornsby, Berowra, Portland, Wisemans Ferry.....
massive
It's full of Indians. They don't play or watch League.