NRL expansion

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
18 teams and fuck those byes off.

Would anyone consider another Pacfic Natiom team like PNG ? They are league mad.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sure okay but what has changed that makes it any different to the last time?

Can you guarantee it won't be a sugar rush expansion where the support lasts for 6 months then fails as usual. Personally don't see the point, not as if WA blokes are going to wake up and say "you know what go rugby league".
Like I said Broseph… influx of people moving over from the east coast (rugby league territory) and NZ (hate AFL), the population has almost doubled since last time, it has a ready made stadium. NRL games played in Perth get big crowds, Origin was sold out within hours the other year. Blokes I work with are born and bred in WA and are mad AFL supporters are enjoying league now as well since channel 9 started with two live games a weekend.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
18 teams and fuck those byes off.

Would anyone consider another Pacfic Natiom team like PNG ? They are league mad.
Would love a pasifika team but not sure if they can make it work long term.
I agree with 18 teams, don't think the league can sustain more than that.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They seriously need to get grass roots funding to keep the talent pool growing before they expand any further.

We already have a situation where a handful of teams can lure in the bulk of talent (whether through illegal payment as I suspect or through the lure of success which I am sceptical about).

Introducing a team that might achieve two wins in a season will just mean that team really struggles to grow a fan base and the NRL will be pouring money into them to keep them viable.
The greater roots of rugby league are in NSW QLD NZ, naturally they have the greater number of teams,
IMO there must be a study held to identify the most qualified areas for the next 3 teams,
3 teams should be included and why,
Wellington...insures a game in NZ every week
Perth...Provides a better national competition
Central Coast...strong area for the game with a stadium.
My question to the NRL's hierarchy, what are you intentions ???

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Perth! Leagues become massive over here with the influx of East Coasters and Kiwis moving here for mining jobs.
Western Bears
No not ‘western’ bears.
Western what?
Sounds gay.
West coast or Perth for me.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure okay but what has changed that makes it any different to the last time?

Can you guarantee it won't be a sugar rush expansion where the support lasts for 6 months then fails as usual. Personally don't see the point, not as if WA blokes are going to wake up and say "you know what go rugby league".
Perth Reds didn’t actually fail.
They got crowds and that.
There were other political factors at play.
One was who pats the bill for flights
And since then even more league people moved.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Central Coast was going to happen ot would've happened by now.

Only two feasible options really are Perth or 2nd NZ team.

Above all else you need money. How is a "pasifika", png or bloody Rockhampton team going to do that?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Above all else you need money. How is a "pasifika", png or bloody Rockhampton team going to do that?
Pasifika won’t happen.
Even though Tongans and Samoans are the same people they hate each other. And until kava becomes a currency the money isn’t there.
PNG even more ridiculous. Same issues with added safety and cannibalism concerns.
Rockhampton is cowboys, don’t get that one. It’s like greenacre getting a team.
Perth makes sense. Nz2 can work but will be a battle because it’s all Union outside the ghetto part of Auckland.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Geopolitics money will fund it. Plus there's countless mining companies and another multi billion dollar LNG project that will come online. Cairns based PNG team is the most practical option if they're looking that way.