NRL expansion

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There will not be a new Sydney team created within the existing area of Parramatta. Those players from growth areas like the Hills and Camden can feed into existing pathways. The only realistic club options for expansion are Perth (my preference) NZ and PNG.
I also want Perth (this shows how similar we are and think the same) and NZ is good but PNG will not happen.
They have a serious issue with safety and cannibalism. My friend accidentally ate 'Long pork' there when he was working there.

Canberra cant recruit people to the nations capital, how are PNG going to recruit when their is fear of a family member being harassed/eaten/intimidated?
You'd have to pay double salary cap and now it isnt worth it.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have more teams enter the league but only way it can work is either a conference set up or promotion and relegation.

Having 20 teams has been proven to be an absolute failure and brought about the Super League war.

So, in the words of Gus that would be a NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Even 16 teams showed the competition is top heavy with the 4 or 5 teams dominating the competition. 17 has made it even weaker.

Go back to a strong 14 team first division competition and a 2nd Division competition that has 12 teams and have promotion and relegation or as mentioned, have teams placed in a conference like set up.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's full of Indians. They don't play or watch League.
This.
My son's AFL team just played there on the weekend at Balmoral Road Sports complex. There are some ripper mac-mansions built around that area and as we drove around admiring the houses, just about every person we saw coming in and out of them (and I'm talking about 8-10 homes where tenants were out the front) were of Indian background. Seriously nearly 100%.

Now I'm not sure whether the sample space was indicative of the whole area, but my wife and I thought it was unusual.

And you're right. They don't play league.

They key point however is that there is no chance of another Sydney based team, and any kids in this area have ample opportunity to go into the local pathways.

Even the Dogs can send some players to local schools and get their interest. Or send scouts out pick up talent at junior level. No need for a team.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have more teams enter the league but only way it can work is either a conference set up or promotion and relegation.

Having 20 teams has been proven to be an absolute failure and brought about the Super League war.

So, in the words of Gus that would be a NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Even 16 teams showed the competition is top heavy with the 4 or 5 teams dominating the competition. 17 has made it even weaker.

Go back to a strong 14 team first division competition and a 2nd Division competition that has 12 teams and have promotion and relegation or as mentioned, have teams placed in a conference like set up.
I think the issue with weak teams nowdays and the period they remain weak is with the salary cap floor rule and other SC restrictions (backloading etc).

The minute the NrL and RLPA brought this in, weak teams went from 4-5 years in the wilderness (no finals) to 10+ years.

Take the Bulldogs and Dragons for instance... After we sacked Des and they let Mary go, both clubs could have had 1-2 lean years where they cleaned up their roster and SC spend, front loaded the players they were keeping and then hit the market hard in years 3-4 with about 20-30% more cap spend and surely return to top 8 contention.

By forcing them to have to spend 95% of cap, they invariably overspend it on inflated players and they can't get out of the hole they are in.

Get rid of the cap floor and stop over policing the rules.

It's like formula 1, it's manufactured rules to control who wins the races every year

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This.
My son's AFL team just played there on the weekend at Balmoral Road Sports complex. There are some ripper mac-mansions built around that area and as we drove around admiring the houses, just about every person we saw coming in and out of them (and I'm talking about 8-10 homes where tenants were out the front) were of Indian background. Seriously nearly 100%.

Now I'm not sure whether the sample space was indicative of the whole area, but my wife and I thought it was unusual.

And you're right. They don't play league.

They key point however is that there is no chance of another Sydney based team, and any kids in this area have ample opportunity to go into the local pathways.

Even the Dogs can send some players to local schools and get their interest. Or send scouts out pick up talent at junior level. No need for a team.
Indians do my head in too, but, How is balmoral hills district?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Here is an idea;
two conferences.
18 teams
Paul Langmack (Sydney) division
Tigers
Doggs
roosters
souths
Manly
Sharks
penrith
eels
saints

Gorden Tallis (QLD) division
Cows
redcliffe
brisbane city
titans
storm
warriors
raiders
knights
perth

each div plays each other home and away then once the other dives teams in a neutral venue like they do in darwin, lithgow, wellington, new caledonia, adelaide, fremantle etc

Then top 8 is sorted on the accumulation of points accrued over 25 games. itll always be 4/4 or 5/3
8+8+9=25 games
If we add Hills to Langmack division and NZ2 to QLD div could push it to 27 games.

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here is an idea;
two conferences.
18 teams
Tigers
Doggs
roosters
souths
Manly
Sharks
penrith
eels
saints

Cows
redcliffe
brisbane city
titans
storm
warriors
raiders
knights
perth

each div plays each other home and away then once the other dives teams in a neutral venue like they do in darwin, lithgow, wellington, new caledonia, adelaide, fremantle etc

Then top 8 is sorted on the accumulation of points accrued over 25 games. itll always be 4/4 or 5/3
8+8+9=25 games
If we add Hills to Langmack division and NZ2 to QLD div could push it to 27 games.
You should use your contacts and take this idea to PV. If you make it clear you will run the Perth franchise so they won’t struggle I reckon you could get the deal over the line.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an idea;
two conferences.
18 teams
Tigers
Doggs
roosters
souths
Manly
Sharks
penrith
eels
saints

Cows
redcliffe
brisbane city
titans
storm
warriors
raiders
knights
perth

8+8+9=25 games
Adding the extra 2 teams will push to 28 games. 2 more H/A in your division and the 1 from other div.

But the 18 team concept works well...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Adding the extra 2 teams will push to 28 games. 2 more H/A in your division and the 1 from other div.

But the 18 team concept works well...
Good pickup ! My mistake

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s unlike you. You don’t make mistakes you speak the truth gangsta. Keep the ideas flowing
Much love Uleh. You speak the truth x
My lips are the gun; my smile is the trigger; my kisses is the bullets. Label me a postcode killa

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't even have the talent for this many sides, let alone more, sorry to be blunt but I'd rather take sides out of Sydney than add more teams.

Look at the options

Perth- has failed how many times? An AFL city, will never work. Th ultimate sugar rush selection where fans turn up for a year and then it fails, like a kid getting a candy from a store.

NZ- why are we taking another side to a country that's all Union again? The Warriors don't even sell out.

QLD- probably the best option but where? Already have gone to Redcliffe, so where is the next side?

The only one I'd be on board with is a Pacific team but not based out of NZ, base it in the Pacific not sure logistically but at least you are going to an area that's mad about RL.

If I had my way I'd look at the feasibility of Gold Coast long term, teams just don't work there

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% Bring back Bears, there reserve grade is always 1st or 2nd there feeder club Roosters reserve grade are nearly last.
That feeder ends this year.
They are a foundation club and have everything in order ready to go, they will attract good players . Bears in the Red & Black playing out of Gosford, Perth or Qld. No more NZ teams please.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Let's ditch the Dolphins and then get JMK back. Bring him home and then offload Reed to some dopey club like the Tigers.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Perth! Leagues become massive over here with the influx of East Coasters and Kiwis moving here for mining jobs.
Western Bears

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perth! Leagues become massive over here with the influx of East Coasters and Kiwis moving here for mining jobs.
Western Bears
Sure okay but what has changed that makes it any different to the last time?

Can you guarantee it won't be a sugar rush expansion where the support lasts for 6 months then fails as usual. Personally don't see the point, not as if WA blokes are going to wake up and say "you know what go rugby league".