Notre Dame Fire

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...aris-engulfed-by-fire-roof-collapses/11018158

Notre Dame cathedral spire collapses as devastating fire tears through Paris landmark

A catastrophic fire has engulfed Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, threatening one of the greatest architectural treasures of the Western world.

Flames that began in the early evening burst through the roof of the centuries-old cathedral and engulfed the spire, which collapsed, quickly followed by the entire roof.

However a French official and the Paris fire chief said they thought the iconic towers had been saved from the fire, and authorities said the cathedral's structure was "saved from total destruction".

Fire chief Jean-Claude Gallet said a major accomplishment of hundreds of firefighters was stopping the flames from spreading to the north tower belfry. He said one firefighter had been seriously injured in the blaze, while two-thirds of Notre Dame's roofing "has been ravaged".

It was not immediately clear what caused the fire, which drew crowds of people to nearby squares as a huge plume of smoke wafted across the city and ash fell over a large area.

France 2 television reported police were treating the incident as an accident.

Notre Dame spokesman Andre Finot had said the blaze was likely to bring the entire wooden frame of the cathedral down, and the vault of the edifice could be threatened too.

The burning spire of a gothic cathedral glows orange as smoke billows from it.

Built in the 12th and 13th centuries, Notre Dame is the most famous of the Gothic cathedrals of the Middle Ages, and one of the most beloved structures in the world.

Situated on the Ile de la Cite, an island in the Seine river, the cathedral's architecture is famous for, among other things, its many gargoyles and its iconic flying buttresses.

Among the most celebrated artworks inside are its three stained-glass rose windows, placed high up on the west, north and south faces of the cathedral.

Its priceless treasures also include a Catholic relic, the crown of thorns, which is only occasionally displayed, including on Fridays during Lent.

Paris Mayor Anne Hildago said the cathedral's significant collection of artwork and holy objects had been recovered.

She said residents living near the cathedral were evacuated in preparation for the burning structure's possible collapse.

French President Emmanuel Macron has arrived at Notre Dame, having cancelled a major televised speech after the blaze broke out.

Mr Macron was treating the fire as a national emergency, Associated Press reported.

The fire came less than a week before Easter amid Holy Week commemorations.

As the cathedral burned and flames lit the sky behind them, Parisians gathered to pray and sing hymns outside the church
of Saint Julien Les Pauvres across the river from Notre Dame.
This is such a massive shame to see. Why wife was devastated this morning. To think this amazing monument survived two world wars and countless battles of the centuries.
I have been to this cathedral a number of times, and it is just so different to most cathedrals. Fingers crossed they will be able to restore it. At least the structure anyway. Sadly I'm certain the incredible interior will have been destroyed.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is such a massive shame to see. Why wife was devastated this morning. To think this amazing monument survived two world wars and countless battles of the centuries.
I have been to this cathedral a number of times, and it is just so different to most cathedrals. Fingers crossed they will be able to restore it. At least the structure anyway. Sadly I'm certain the incredible interior will have been destroyed.
I'm with you... while they can rebuild the structure, it just won't be the same. The old stain glassed windows, the artifacts, the relics... they all have sentimental value. Possibly the only good news to come from this all:

https://www.news.com.au/world/europ...e/news-story/479c5ced6b0ec8be4821e11fc694bc99

It looks like they have managed to save the Crown of Thorns. If they did, that will be HUGE. Without doubt that is the most valued relic they have.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
An interesting read from wikipedia. Apparently the following locations all have a some bits and pieces from the crown of thorns. It goes without saying that Notre Dame has the bulk of it though.
  • Belgium: Parochial Church of Wevelgem: a portion of the crown of thorns (since 1561)
  • Belgium: Ghent, St. Michael's Church: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • Czech Republic: Prague, St. Vitus Cathedral: A thorn of the crown of thorns, in the cross at the top of Crown of Saint Wenceslas, part of the Bohemian Crown Jewels
  • France: Notre Dame de Paris: The circlet of rushes of the crown of thorns, displayed the first Friday of each month and all Fridays in Lent (including Good Friday)
  • France: Sainte-Chapelle: A portion of the crown of thorns, brought to the site by Louis IX.
  • Germany: Cathedral of Trier: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • Germany: Cologne, Kolumba (Museum): A thorn from the crown of thorns, given by Louis IX. to the Dominicans of Lüttich and a second thorn from the treasure of St. Kolumbas Church
  • Germany: Elchingen: Church of the former Benedictine Abbey Kloster Elchingen: a thorn brought to the church in 1650/51
  • Italy: Rome, Santa Croce in Gerusalemme: Two thorns from the crown of thorns.
  • Italy: Rome, Santa Prassede: A small portion of the crown of thorns
  • Italy: Pisa, Spedali Riuniti di Santa Chiara: A branch with thorns from the crown of thorns
  • Italy: Naples, Santa Maria Incoronata: A fragment of the crown of thorns
  • Italy: Ariano Irpino, Cathedral: Two Thorns from the crown of thorns
  • Spain: Oviedo, Cathedral: Five thorns (formerly eight) from the crown of thorns
  • Spain: Barcelona, Cathedral: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • Spain: Seville, Iglesia de la Anunciación (Hermandad del Valle): A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • United Kingdom: British Museum: Holy Thorn Reliquary (see above), Salting Reliquary, each with a thorn
  • United Kingdom: Stanbrook Abbey, Worcester: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • United Kingdom: Stonyhurst College, Lancashire: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • United States of America: St. Anthony's Chapel, Pittsburgh: A thorn from the crown of thorns
  • Ukraine: Odessa, St. Prophet Elijah Monastery: A fragment of a thorn of the crown of thorns

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Police are looking to question a person with a hunched back that goes by the name of qausimodo.
If you have any information of his whereabouts please contact crimestoppers
Pfft....'sif he would burn his own home down.....I think it was some sort of anti hunchback related hate crime!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the French Government will fund a lot of it. For the rest (like La Sagrada Familia) they'll rely on public donations.

The fact that the building was standing for over 850 years is amazing.
It makes sense for the French government to pitch into the costs, the Notre Dame is not just 850 years old, its a massive tourist attraction and is as French as the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triumph.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I feel very privileged now to say I have seen the inside and outside of the Cathedral last year. Very important part of history !!

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I reckon the gargoyles came to life and destroyed the place.

Ghostbusters predicted this decades ago.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Police have released CCTV footage (see below) of Monseigneur Claude Frollo whom they wish to question regarding the fire.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s good people find humour in a potential attack when it’s against a certain religion. God forbid anyone graffitis over a lgbtiqi flag.

Anyways 800 years standing and only now it goes down in flames due to an accident that had more than enough time to happen in the prior centuries? Lol

Reactions: K E

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably the one and only like you’ll get from me.
It’s a piece of architectural historical phenomen turned to almost complete dust.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMe

That's Notre a good thing to read about.

Content was lit y'all... it was FIIIIIREE!!!!

$0.35 and an expired JB Voucher is considered a pledge. Let the Catholic church fund it... afterall they are the richest organisation in the world.
Can you please source the claim of richest organisation in the world please. Thanks. And when you search please don’t type in google “Catholic Church is actually the richest organisation in the world run by lizard people” lol