Notre Dame Fire

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are 2 things to consider when it comes to this:
  1. Was the building insured? If so, for how much?
  2. Who owns or claims ownership of the building? That's who should fork out the money (despite it not being needed considering €300,000,000 have already been donated to it for the rebuild).
Good point, is the building insured??

But I don't agree with the second point. The building is more than someone's property it's a landmark feature of France, it's a drawcard for tourism and France's economy as well which should be considered. Otherwise if the owners which I'm assuming are the Catholic Church want to knock it down and build a bunch of townhouses it will vastly effect the towns businesses, the look of the town and tourism.

The religious aspect is secondary to its main purpose as a building of grandeur

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good point, is the building insured??

But I don't agree with the second point. The building is more than someone's property it's a landmark feature of France, it's a drawcard for tourism and France's economy as well which should be considered. Otherwise if the owners which I'm assuming are the Catholic Church want to knock it down and build a bunch of townhouses it will vastly effect the towns businesses, the look of the town and tourism.

The religious aspect is secondary to its main purpose as a building of grandeur
Building is owned by the French government (the people of France) who then effectively give it to the Church rent free (although, I would imagine the church has responsibility for its maintenance etc?). I think i read somewhere that the French government owns all churches etc built before 1905 (don't know the significance of that year).

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Building is owned by the French government (the people of France) who then effectively give it to the Church rent free (although, I would imagine the church has responsibility for its maintenance etc?). I think i read somewhere that the French government owns all churches etc built before 1905 (don't know the significance of that year).
Very forward thinking government back before 1905!!!. Thanks for the information

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There are 2 things to consider when it comes to this:
  1. Was the building insured? If so, for how much?
  2. Who owns or claims ownership of the building? That's who should fork out the money (despite it not being needed considering €300,000,000 have already been donated to it for the rebuild).
They were very smart with this. They said the people who offer a large amount of money to rebuild it will get their names on plaques on the cathedral. All these rich French guys just exploded when they heard that.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who owns or claims ownership of the building? That's who should fork out the money (despite it not being needed considering €300,000,000 have already been donated to it for the rebuild)
The French Ministry of Culture.

So the people of France own it.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They were very smart with this. They said the people who offer a large amount of money to rebuild it will get their names on plaques on the cathedral. All these rich French guys just exploded when they heard that.
The French and their arrogance know how to push those rich people's buttons

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Exploded? Imagine all the butter from those croissants all over the place lol.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Should of taken out insurance a week before like the twin tower bloke.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why the heck wouldn't they be insured with all those priceless artefacts in there? So if someone broke in and stole those artefacts and melted them down for resale, they wouldn't be able to cover them?

That sounds absolutely crazy.
Probably 'cause they're "priceless"