News No quick fix for Canterbury Bulldogs amid another poor start, says Paul Gallen

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Perfect example, I’m yet to see him put a grubber in behind the line in the in goal area on the last tackle for a repeat set.
Suggest you watch a bit more closely, albeit not enough, but 3 forced drop outs to date.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Suggest you watch a bit more closely, albeit not enough, but 3 forced drop outs to date.

Go Dogs
When it’s 12:58pm are you one of those guys that’s says it’s “twelve fifty eight” instead of just saying it’s 1pm?

Go Dogs

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won’t take long. It will be recruiting decisions which will determine how long it’ll take. Get recruitment right, next year we’re playing semi final footy. Top 4 year or two later.

Cronulla in 2014 also went 3 games without scoring a point. 18 months later there premiers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Perfect example, I’m yet to see him put a grubber in behind the line in the in goal area on the last tackle for a repeat set.
When it’s 12:58pm are you one of those guys that’s says it’s “twelve fifty eight” instead of just saying it’s 1pm?
You used the terminology "perfect" example, when the fact is it wasn't remotely close to "perfect".

Go Dogs

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Geez I hope we score a point next game, we are already tied for the worst results in history, and Storm won't make it easy for us.

Three years ago we were commenting on here that it would take three years to fix, and in many respects we have gone backwards, a genuine contender for the spoon.

Can't fault Gallen, he was asked to comment and he was right, we are lacking in our forwards. It was an honest answer, and he would have a view on Manly and Nth Qld as well.

I started following the Bulldogs years ago when we were nicknamed "The Entertainers" we used to play champagne football and win or lose we were really competitive.

I don't recognize us anymore. Hated the way we played "Dezball" under Des and actually worse since he left.

I'm a bored, disillusioned Bulldogs fan and I never thought it would be this bad. Good luck to the boys against the Storm.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not sure this helps or not but remember Gus saying something about Penrith years ago needing 5 years to go from a basket case to contesting. Believe that was somewhere around 2014-2015. Part of that was building the right systems to bring top juniors through the ranks. He didn't believe you could buy your way out of the shit house. Well 6 odd years later - don't think he's wrong.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
None one brings up the fact we’re missing our marquee forward in Luke Thompson yet to play a single game, Our player of the year for 2020 in RFM has played half a game, our captain JJ and starting winger DWZ got suspended last week, starting winger Jayden Okunbur is unavailable for 3/4 of the year, but hey, we’re supposedly doomed compared to Newcastle, Cronulla and Co. who can be labelled poor things and courageous when down on troops.

I don’t see the same noise for Manly and Cowboys, the Cows are in a diabolical state IMO...and they have a decent roster!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure this helps or not but remember Gus saying something about Penrith years ago needing 5 years to go from a basket case to contesting. Believe that was somewhere around 2014-2015. Part of that was building the right systems to bring top juniors through the ranks. He didn't believe you could buy your way out of the shit house. Well 6 odd years later - don't think he's wrong.
We started losing our way after Folkesy left, our legacy for multiple eras was to raise our own and bring in the odd talent from outside to complement team balance. Hasler came in and put an end to junior development after the inclusions of Barba, Mbye, Jackson, Finucane and Kasiano where subsequently, most had moved on... there were little to no juniors coming up thereafter & in parallel, all the contracts had been skewed after that missed Premiership attempt.. we simply haven’t recovered since. I think Gus is right in part, but we need strong recruitment coupled with nurturing guys like Topine and Alamoti.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey Gal what do you think about this?

Gal, “ err der umunah eminah yeah I dunno, gimme a Pepe”

ThanKs Gal.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No interest in what Gallen says but I think Gus makes some good points.

Individuals need to show improvement. That’s one area where Pay failed. It’s the coaches job to make the players better. Obviously this hasn’t happened yet but I am confident Baz can change this.
The thing is I don’t think some of our players have improvement in them.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is I don’t think some of our players have improvement in them.
That’s a very good point. They may already be at their best.

The good thing for Baz is that most of them are off contract so if he can’t improve them they are gone. Even after 4 rounds I can’t see any of them stating a case.

And as I have said a few times the lack of interest from other clubs for our off contract players is pretty telling

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah seriously can the mods please limit how many of these threads are made or at least consolidate them into one "Media says Dogs will never be successful again megathread"?

Gallen's opinion means so much. And he offers such wonderful insight. The peptides have rotted his brain.

If we sign a few good forwards and a starting calibre hooker then we'll be a top 8 team next year with the addition of Burton and Fox.
Did you read the article? Gallen says "a few years" to get to where we want to, and then basically gives the same advice that you do about forwards. Nothing there about Dogs never being successful again.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
imo the forwards have got off lightly over the years because the focus has been on our lack of try scoring ability and therefore our halves. The fact is that we’ve been soft through the middle and we always come away without having won the battle up front. If we aim up and get the mentality back through hetherington and thompson and get a decent pass off the ground we’ll score points and be competitive

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We should all be worried seriously if Barrett does not fix the team within 3yrs then we are in big trouble then it will take years to fix .Barrett should start to clean out all these rubbish players if he doesn't start to do it soon then that tells me the board and Barrett have written off this year and are really thinking about next year Which is a stupid thinking.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you read the article? Gallen says "a few years" to get to where we want to, and then basically gives the same advice that you do about forwards. Nothing there about Dogs never being successful again.
So how will it take a few years then? If we recruit well we'll be a finals team next season with Burton and Fox making a huge difference alone.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
possibly right..but yes we will need about 3 very good recruits because we're still up against it if we don't get some better big boppers and a very good 9, plus some additional depth in the forwards and a versatile back(centre/winger)or two.

Have to have hope still things will be on the improve as soon after this week one win(cowboys) can lead to a couple more in following month, our draw isn't anywhere near as bad.

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If it ain't fixed after this year a lot of people need to be held accountable who're still at the club (I mean ruthless sackings, have we already done that?).

There is literally no reason why we can't have a competitive roster for 2022 and I'll give Barrett until half way through next year but I'm getting similar vibes to Seibold.

The players look like they're "overcoached" and don't know what they're doing. I've seen people say the players have been taught how to run before they can walk, and that's what it honestly looks like to me (maybe that's better long term, but Barrett only has 1 and a half years before there will be too much pressure on him, you need to be getting some kind of results, even if it's a win here and there, even the eye test is dreadful).

I don't want to be hearing there's "no quick fix" ever again, because that's F'ing BS and we've had 4 years now to plan for 2022 (and really it should of been 2021, I already pushed the goal post for the club once already).

It's also up to Barrett to hold up the standards within the team with the non negotiables, e.g. effort areas, sticking to the game plan, holding the ball.

I still think we're only a quality hooker and prop (at least) away from having a competitive roster at full strength (it's a roster I like) next year and it's unacceptable if we're unable to acquire these players at this point.
Yes when we have Burton, JAC, Okunbur is a strike player we are missing, also missing Thompson, Flanno will go heaps better with Burton. Like you say if we can sign a gun hooker & another forward or two we will go heaps better. A champion fullback on top of that & we are Premiership contenders :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Not far away at all I say :smiley::smiley::smiley:
GO THE DOGS!!!