New recruit Nick Meaney can help lead Bulldogs to bright future

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally no, I've never seen him take over a game and lead his side to victory like premiership fullbacks do, they only way he will win a premiership at fullback is if you have two other superstars in the spine that can create and score and that's a highly unlikely thing to occur anytime soon.
Since 1998 (22 GF's) only 3 fullbacks (Slater x 2, Inglis and Boyd) have won the Clive Churchill Medal (ie; lead their side to victory) whereas 8 x Forwards and 10 x Halves have won it. FFS the Cowboys won it in 2015 with Laclan Coote at Fullback, personally I'd have Hopoate over him anyday/everyday. They had Thurston, the "superstar" and good quality solid pack of forwards.

If Meaney is good enough then, as the year progresses, he will push his way into the team, if he isn't then he won't. In the interim Hopoate is the incumbant #1 and I see far worse Fullbacks in the NRL. I'd rate him above Dufty, Thompson, Wighton, Gordon, Edwards, Coote, Mbye and Gutherson.

Go Dogs

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa to the wing or keep him at fullback. I personally would put him on the wing. We need a quick fullback.

1.Meaney
2. Hoppa
3and4.crighton/harper/Montoya/Holland
5. Smith

Dam we're weak in the backline without the Morris boys. Going to be hard to choose the centres.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Since 1998 (22 GF's) only 3 fullbacks (Slater x 2, Inglis and Boyd) have won the Clive Churchill Medal (ie; lead their side to victory) whereas 8 x Forwards and 10 x Halves have won it. FFS the Cowboys won it in 2015 with Laclan Coote at Fullback, personally I'd have Hopoate over him anyday/everyday. They had Thurston, the "superstar" and good quality solid pack of forwards.

If Meaney is good enough then, as the year progresses, he will push his way into the team, if he isn't then he won't. In the interim Hopoate is the incumbant #1 and I see far worse Fullbacks in the NRL. I'd rate him above Dufty, Thompson, Wighton, Gordon, Edwards, Coote, Mbye and Gutherson.

Go Dogs
Cowboys had the best forward (Tuamalolo), one of the greatest halfbacks ever (JT), one of the best hookers at the time (Granville) as well as a rising star in Morgan and Coote as bad as his been the past 2 years was really good that year with his playmaking skills being massive for the Cowboys.

Look at the last 10 starting premiership winning fullbacks:
2018: Tedesco
2017: Slater
2016: Barba
2015: Coote
2014: Inglis
2013: RTS
2012: Slater
2011: Stewart
2010: Boyd
2009: Slater

Hopoate just doesn't belong in that class, Meaney may never be as good as Hopoate is now but we won't know if we don't try.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Trials will tell us a lot. I think that'll determine if Meaney starts in first grade, or NSW Cup next year.

Like it or not:
Hoppa, Holland, Smith, and Montoya are shoe ins for positions.

That leaves: Crichton, Harper, Meaney, and possibly others battling for a single backline spot.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Trials will tell us a lot. I think that'll determine if Meaney starts in first grade, or NSW Cup next year.

Like it or not:

That leaves: Crichton, Harper, Meaney, and possibly others battling for a single backline spot.
Harper is too raw still. I agree that those 4 look likely to be in the backline. Meaney will be the 5th. Hoppa could be on the wing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Like it or not:

One can only hope it doesnt happen. Would be the worst backline in the comp.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like it or not:

What about Okunbor?

It could be

1. Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Holland
5. Smith

That way it gives us 2 big tall strong fast wingers. At least all our sets will be started on the front foot. Plus hoppa makes alot of metres also. If smith okunbor hoppa take most of our first 3 hitups after a kick we will be past or close to halfway on most sets. It will also keep our forwards fresh.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the idea of no holland at all. Move smith to centres and crighton to wing or something,

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Okunbor?

It could be

1. Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Holland
5. Smith

That way it gives us 2 big tall strong fast wingers. At least all our sets will be started on the front foot. Plus hoppa makes alot of metres also. If smith okunbor hoppa take most of our first 3 hitups after a kick we will be past or close to halfway on most sets. It will also keep our forwards fresh.
If okunbur runs it up as hard as he did in finals then we may as well give his hit up to my sister.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopoate just doesn't belong in that class, Meaney may never be as good as Hopoate is now but we won't know if we don't try.
Hence why I posted "If Meaney is good enough then, as the year progresses, he will push his way into the team, if he isn't then he won't." But he has to beat the incumbant who is no slouch;

TACKLES:
Josh Jackson 831, Michael Lichaa 734, Adam Elliott 584, David Klemmer 542, Jeremy Marshall-King 521

RUNS:
Will Hopoate 431. David Klemmer 408, Josh Jackson 279, Brett Morris 252, Adam Elliott 240

RUN METRES:
David Klemmer 3980m, Will Hopoate 3866m, Josh Jackson 2257m, Brett Morris 2238m, Josh Morris 2104m

LINE BREAKS:
Reimis Smith 12, Brett Morris 9, Moses Mbye 7, Kerrod Holland 7, Will Hopoate 6

TACKLE BREAKS:
Will Hopoate 84, Moses Mbye 59, Brett Morris 51, Raymond Faitala-Mariner 39, Marcelo Montoya 38, Josh Morris 38, Dvaid Klemmer 38, Adam Elliot 38

TRIES:
Josh Morris 9, Brett Morris 9, Reimis Smith 7, Kerrod Holland 6, Will Hopoate 5

LINE BREAK ASSISTS:
Will Hopoate 11, Kerrod Holland 7, Michael Lichaa 5, Josh Jackson 5, Jeremy Marshall-King 4

OFFLOADS:
Will Hopoate 42, Kerrod Holland 28, Aaron Woods 26, David Klemmer 24, Raymond Faitala-Mariner 23

DUMMY HALF RUNS:
Michael Lichaa 75, Brett Morris 75, Will Hopoate 53, Kerrod Holland 36, Moses Mbye 20

KICK METRES:
Lachlan Lewis 2903m, Moses Mbye 2225m, Kieran Foran 2080m, Matt Frawley 1488m, Jeremy Marshall-King 1293m

TRY ASSISTS:
Will Hopoate 7, Michael Lichaa 6, Matt Frawley 5, Kerrod Holland 4, Josh Morris 4, Jeremy Marshall-King 4, Brett Morris 4, Josh Jackson 4

AVG METRES PER GAME:
David Klemmer 181m, Will Hopoate 161m, Reimis Smith 139m, Aaron Woods 136m, Moses Mbye 123m

POST CONTACT METRES:
David Klemmer 1630m, Will Hopoate 1035m, Josh Jackson 802m, Brett Morris 757m, Aaron Woods 713m

1 on 1 TACKLES:
Josh Jackson 39, Brett Morris 36, Jeremy Marshall-King 35, Kerrod Holland 25, Lachlan Lewis 24

Wow Hopppa is in every single one apart from kick metres and 1 on 1 tackles.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As posted I rate Hopoate higher than Dufty, Thompson, Wighton, Gordon, Edwards, Coote, Mbye and Gutherson. Which puts him slightly above mid field, which coincidently (or not) is about where I think we will finish the season 6th to 8th. Which is a big step in the right direction as an NRL team is a big ship and as such it doesn't change direction very quickly.

In regards to Boyd, I think he is the most over rated player in the NRL currently.:smirk:

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive been critical of Hopoate, but he always has a go. The modern fullback needs speed. He needs good defence, He needs good positional play.
I think Hopoate falters with all of these. I just hope Meaney can step up and I think he will.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ive been critical of Hopoate, but he always has a go. The modern fullback needs speed. He needs good defence, He needs good positional play.
I think Hopoate falters with all of these. I just hope Meaney can step up and I think he will.
Meaney defends way worse than Hoppa.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's easy to pick out 2 or 3 things and say therefore he's no good, but an NRL player has to have far more dimensions that that. I can just easily pick 2 or 3 where he is top shelf, hell let's make it half a dozen;
TACKLE BREAKS: Will Hopoate 84
LINE BREAK ASSISTS: Will Hopoate 11
OFFLOADS: Will Hopoate 42
TRY ASSISTS: Will Hopoate 7
AVG METRES PER GAME: David Klemmer 181m, Will Hopoate 161m
POST CONTACT METRES: David Klemmer 1630m, Will Hopoate 1035m

Not too shabby in my books.

Go Dogs

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney defends way worse than Hoppa.
He has Meaney I agree at times been bad in defending. But I’m betting that will change,, I like what he gives in attack and his speed will make people take notice. Another young enthusiastic player to add to our team can only be a plus. I imagine his not on big dollars and his Pays choice so looking forward to him having a go.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Once Meaney puts some size on he will get more confidence in his tackling and will start using his shoulder.
All these keyboard coaches need to give the young bloke a chance..
If you watched the game on the weekend Hopoate is just too slow for fullback.
Whether you like it or not we are in a rebuilding period so give the young blokes a go.

Dogsup

Waterboy
Reaction score
Meaney reminds me of a young Billy Slater,plenty to like about him. Give this young kid a go.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Once Meaney puts some size on he will get more confidence in his tackling and will start using his shoulder.
All these keyboard coaches need to give the young bloke a chance..
If you watched the game on the weekend Hopoate is just too slow for fullback.
Whether you like it or not we are in a rebuilding period so give the young blokes a go.
What does "give the young blokes a go" actually mean? Throw him in at the deep end and hope he makes it? He's going to be training full time with the FG's, fill in for Hopoate whenever needed, learn the plays, be coached, mentored and have the club nutritionists and physios available to him 24/7. To me that's "giving him a go" and then if he's good enough he will force his way into the team, if he's not good enough then he won't. Good players demand that they be picked by their form on the field and their attitude off it, not by being "given a go".

I also don't go that much on the "rebuilding period" stuff it seems overly hyped to me. We have a lot of positions filled by players who really don't need any "rebuilding", forwards for example, I don't think we need any rebuilding there. There's only a few positions where we absolutely need new blood, left centre for sure and hooker (goes without saying). But that doesn't seem any more than any other team going into a new season. There's half dozen teams in the league that I see as needing more "rebuilding" than we do. FFS who would be an Parra, Manly or Titans fan? Tigers with a coach or maybe not? Cowboys, no Thurston OMG!

Go Dogs